The Healthy Meals Thread

I am also moving towards eating like a diabetic. I think cutting the pasta out was the first step.

You are very right about the berries. I have a colleague who used to be overweight and heading towards diabetes so his doctor gave him a list of things that he can eat and things to avoid, and he also told me about the glycemic index. He said the things you said in your post. He also said apples and pears are good because the GI is low. He did say that bananas you have to limit or avoid, along with grapes, watermelon and mangoes because they either have too little fiber or are not acidic enough to ensure a low GI.

Is the guide online? Can you post a link please?

i got it from the library first and then.. you know.. kinda found it free online, but it's not free. it's called Power Foods for Diabetes Cookbook: The Top 20 Foods and 150 Recipes. i would say that 80% of the stuff is super easy cooking stuff, like really easy cooking (ie oatmeal and warming up chicken). it's the first 'cookbook' i have ever read and it's all color and really more just gives you ideas then recipes to follow.

Try Budget Bytes - My stomach is full and my wallet is too.

Do you have a slow cooker? You can usually get them for around $30 at Walmart. I'm going to make more cream of chicken and wild rice soup for mum, this week. I'll try to find the recipe, but I think the blog was something like "taste and tell". I also have a lentil soup recipe somewhere, that I make in the slow cooker, with red lentils (they break down easily, but you could use green lentils if you want them to be a bit tougher).

todreaminblue

grilled chicken with cous cous

chicken breast grilled until done ....squeeze lemon and pink salt

cous cous made to directions on packet add three dried chopped apricots, some grated apple, a tablespoonful of sultanas, spoonful of hummos, squeeze of half a lemon ro even an orange and freshly ground black pepper scatter with three crumbled walnuts and fresh torn parsley(vitamin c rich).....eat with gregorian chant music to release the digestive juices....kidding....but really try it.,...lol.......quite filling very good for you.....deb

• Like 3
grilled chicken with cous cous

chicken breast grilled until done ....squeeze lemon and pink salt

cous cous made to directions on packet add three dried chopped apricots, some grated apple, a tablespoonful of sultanas, spoonful of hummos, squeeze of half a lemon ro even an orange and freshly ground black pepper scatter with three crumbled walnuts and fresh torn parsley(vitamin c rich).....eat with gregorian chant music to release the digestive juices....kidding....but really try it.,...lol.......quite filling very good for you.....deb

Deb, you've reminded me of a recipe from a facebook group, for Chicken Piccata. I haven't tried it, but I plan to:

- EVOO

- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

- salt and pepper

- 1/4 fresh lemon juice

- 1 cup chicken stock

- 1/4 cup capers, rinsed

- 2 tablespoons clarified butter

optional

- thinly sliced lemons

- fresh chopped parsley

Heat EVOO in a large skillet over medium high heat. Slice chicken breasts lengthwise to form 4 thin cutlets. Season on both sides with salt and pepper. Sear chicken until browned and cooked through, 3 minutes per side. Remove chicken to a plate, loosely cover with foil to keep warm.

Add lemon juice, chicken stock, and capers to the pan. Reduce heat and let simmer for 5 minutes. Take of the heat and whisk in clarified butter.

Pour sauce over chicken. Garnish with lemon slices and parsley. Enjoy!

• Like 4
todreaminblue
Deb, you've reminded me of a recipe from a facebook group, for Chicken Piccata. I haven't tried it, but I plan to:

- EVOO

- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

- salt and pepper

- 1/4 fresh lemon juice

- 1 cup chicken stock

- 1/4 cup capers, rinsed

- 2 tablespoons clarified butter

optional

- thinly sliced lemons

- fresh chopped parsley

Heat EVOO in a large skillet over medium high heat. Slice chicken breasts lengthwise to form 4 thin cutlets. Season on both sides with salt and pepper. Sear chicken until browned and cooked through, 3 minutes per side. Remove chicken to a plate, loosely cover with foil to keep warm.

Add lemon juice, chicken stock, and capers to the pan. Reduce heat and let simmer for 5 minutes. Take of the heat and whisk in clarified butter.

Pour sauce over chicken. Garnish with lemon slices and parsley. Enjoy!

sounds yum...:0)....deb

• Like 2
  • Author
CrystalCastles

Deb, I'm loving that Gregorian chant suggestion! :laugh:

I tried something out today.

I found a half kilo of ground pepper in the grocery store by my house which cost at a reasonable price!

I cooked the following. I cooked chicken breasts, chopped, in a pan and then I set them aside. Then I put 3 cans of black beans (I chose those as per amay's suggestion- the darker the better) and one can of tomatoes in tomato juice (unsalted) in a pot on medium heat, with chopped parsley mixed in. Then I fried celery and one bell pepper, and mixed those in. And then I waited until everything became soft and then I added the chicken and seasoned with salt and pepper and its the best thing I've eaten this month! Sure beats pasta any day!

I used to cook a lot. I also have an extensive chemistry background so the kitchen comes naturally to me (no sorry, I've never cooked meth or starred in Breaking Bad). I used to make very fancy dishes for my family when I had time, some of them taking half a day to prepare. Even though it was exhausting I miss that a lot. I'm glad people suggested all these great ideas!

• Like 4
I'm not afraid of calories. I am naturally very thin, I'm borderline underweight actually. But I don't want to get fat later when my metabolism slows down.

I already mentioned nuts. I mix walnuts into my oatmeal. I also eat cashews, peanuts and pistachios throughout the day.

I don't have the time to cook anything fancy, nor do I have the money to buy equipment like egg poaching equipment (which my parents have and it was expensive). I just have a pan and a pot. I can buy some things from the second hand store down the street but my salary is very low and I'm poor. So I can't afford much and I'd rather spend it on food than fancy cooking equipment.

I also eat a lot of vegetables with my meals. I make big bowls of salad with kale, spring greens, lettuce, cucumber and pepper. I put olive oil, lemon juice and salt on top. I don't like the pre-made salad dressings, I don't think those are very healthy...

Regarding the fruit, see my glycemic index comment. Mandarins and Oreos are worlds apart. The fruit I eat doesn't particularly have a significant effect on raising insulin levels because its either high in fiber or in acid. Oreos are refined so they release the sugar fast, in comparison.

You mentioned that I will get tired of my food. I know I don't season it with anything but I read somewhere some types of seasoning cause cancer. I don't really know what seasoning is ok. Dried herbs are expensive here, but I think the bundles of fresh parsley shouldn't be too bad. Also, what are the healthy condiments? I know the mustard I buy is healthy and I read the ingredient labels on everything before I buy it so I know mustard is not bad. Are there any other ones?

OK, I was just trying to be helpful and throw out suggestions; tips for how to vary your meals, as they sounded a bit ho-hum. So, you're welcome.

FWIW, you don't need fancy equipment to poach eggs. You need a pot and some water. You don't want to poach eggs? Fry them or boil them; they don't always have to be scrambled. Again, it's just a suggestion.

I never said mandarins and Oreos were the same. Where did you get that? I used to weigh twice and much as I do now, so I understand a thing or two about healthy eating, but you certainly aren't beholden to any of my advice.

What seasonings, other than salt, are bad? I don't know of any, to be honest. Herbs and the like are all pretty healthy, I think. As long as there are no nitrates or HFCS, you should be good to go.

• Author
CrystalCastles
OK, I was just trying to be helpful and throw out suggestions; tips for how to vary your meals, as they sounded a bit ho-hum. So, you're welcome.

FWIW, you don't need fancy equipment to poach eggs. You need a pot and some water. You don't want to poach eggs? Fry them or boil them; they don't always have to be scrambled. Again, it's just a suggestion.

I never said mandarins and Oreos were the same. Where did you get that? I used to weigh twice and much as I do now, so I understand a thing or two about healthy eating, but you certainly aren't beholden to any of my advice.

What seasonings, other than salt, are bad? I don't know of any, to be honest. Herbs and the like are all pretty healthy, I think. As long as there are no nitrates or HFCS, you should be good to go.

Oh maybe it wasn't you who mentioned the Oreos. Someone mentioned Oreos. Sorry, I think I must have gotten confused.

Its ok my meals are a bit ho hum, I just don't have the time and money at the moment but I think its still possible to experiment even with a limited budget. I also am used to living with my parents, such that if I am feeling too lazy to cook they always have something made and I don't have to think about eating a balanced diet because they already thought of all that. Living by myself is a whole other story so its going to take a bit of time to get used to.

I really like the beans I made today, I also found a packet of dried rosemary on sale and that I think goes well with chicken breasts. I've only ever put thyme on chicken breasts and pepper, so rosemary is going to be new.

I think my response about the fruit was more directed towards Emilia. I don't think there's anything overly wrong with my fruit intake as long as its the right kind of fruit (low GI). I think the pasta though is definitely bad and needs to go. I also like eating dessert after my meals, so I think fruit is a healthy choice for that. I don't eat any cookies, cake, ice cream or anything of the sort, so I think, being 23, I can allow myself some luxury and eat fruit.

Oh yeah! I forgot to mention. I also bought 4 cans of chick peas since you mentioned hummus and I think its easy to find a recipe online somewhere. I know the second hand store sells blenders for cheap something like 15$ for a Black and Decker, so I'll buy that and make hummus.

I also was thinking of blending things like spring greens and then drinking them like a cocktail, since I read that that allows the nutrients to be absorbed easier and you are not actually juicing the greens so the fiber in the form of plant matter is still there.

Sorry if I offended you with my post. I think all the fruit hate on this thread was a bit baffling considering a lot of people my age eat really bad food much worse than fruit.

I'm not afraid of calories. I am naturally very thin, I'm borderline underweight actually. But I don't want to get fat later when my metabolism slows down.

You're borderline underweight? Please tell me that you're consuming the recommended number of calories and eating healthy oils.

Now that I know about your weight, I remove my previous advice and tell you to eat all things in moderation and do regular exercise. The eating you're describing sounds like a weight loss diet and I cannot give advice in good conscience.

How old are you?

Live now and worry about 'future' weight if and when that happens. You are blessed to be thin so eat what you want! Don't pay so much attention to your weight, your body will appreciate the extra calories, fats and carbs. Do yoga and brisk walks if for exercise, but not for losing weight, you don't need to burn or lose calories... but really from what you've said you like to eat well balanced meals. Just make sure to have desserts on occasion too!

Make your own salad dressings (healthier) and put strawberries and goat cheese in salad too, change it up. Even almonds, pine nuts are great to use as well, walnuts are healthy and good for the body.

Edited by whichwayisup
  • Like 3
  • Author
CrystalCastles
You're borderline underweight? Please tell me that you're consuming the recommended number of calories and eating healthy oils.

Now that I know about your weight, I remove my previous advice and tell you to eat all things in moderation and do regular exercise. The eating you're describing sounds like a weight loss diet and I cannot give advice in good conscience.

I do. I just can't put on weight no matter how hard I try. I've always been like that even when I was eating less healthy. I was trying to put on more weight actually when I was a teenager because I was flat chested for a really long time and I was worried my boobs won't grow.

I'm not trying to lose any weight. I just want to eat well so that I can maintain a healthy weight for the rest of my life. I promise, I'm not cutting calories. I'm not even thinking about calories when I'm eating. I eat as much as I like. I'm just really tall and thin and I can't help that. My weight is not my fault.

Edited by CrystalCastles
  • Like 1

I made this vegetarian chili today and it's bangin. It reminds me of my favorite salsa except it's a hot dish. I follow the recipe exactly except I put a sprinkle of brown sugar in there when I'm seasoning it because sugar cuts the acid from the tomatoes and brown sugar just seems to blend well with chili.

Quick and Easy Veggie Chili | Greatist

• Like 1