Same friend circles - how to handle unique situation gracefully?

• Author

Much thanks for the wisdom and support, avintagegirl. All of what you wrote is articulate, practical, and coming from a good place from what I can tell.

Because she can? No boundaries have been set, so she is going to do what comes natural to her.

Agreed. I don't think she knows where she stands with me and wants to know. The text from her was about her, not me. I believe that no response will speak the loudest and set the firmest boundary so I have chosen that.

She doesn't get to feel better at your expense.

Agreed as well. It would've been okay if she bailed on meeting for dinner after if she had sent me a text saying she didn't think it would be a good idea and needed more time (or something along those lines). Simply ignoring me was rude, inconsiderate, and disrespectful regardless if that was her intention or not.

Go with your gut. I think it is probably your emotion and ego too. If the two of your are going to have any kind of friendship post relationship, both of you have to be in a spot to accept that. You are not.

Pretty sure it's my emotion and ego.

It depends on what you want. If you want to be friends with her ultimately, respond BUT set boundaries.Tell her at some point you wouldnt mind seeing her again,but right now you are not in a place to do that. You have to stick to your guns though. Do ONLY what you are comfortable with. No pressure from her.

If you don't want anything to do with her again, leave it alone.

I really think the only way I would ever have any interest in meeting with her again is if I got a sincere letter, text, email, phone call from her acknowledging the nonsensical behavior. She is on a "self-help, don't apologize to anyone kick" so I don't expect that anytime soon nor will I hope for one. I hate that these external influences could have shaped our relationship so, but those are things beyond my control and I accept that.

My emotion says leave her be or get her back. My logic says, do you really want to be friends with someone who's demonstrated such poor communication skills, lack of respect, and whom your only interest would have been romantic? I'm choosing to leave it be with no interest in interacting with her ever again.

Answered my own question there too, didn't I? Hahaha. You can send me a bill via PayPal avintagegirl. : )