can anyone tell me one reason to believe in a GOD

Apparently you already do believe in God by declaring that your an Atheist. By stating that you don't believe in God you've done what you set out not to do. Deep huh?

Also be sure not to celebrate Easter and Christmas since those are Christian based holidays. Halloween is all yours.

Apparently you already do believe in God by declaring that your an Atheist. By stating that you don't believe in God you've done what you set out not to do. Deep huh?

Also be sure not to celebrate Easter and Christmas since those are Christian based holidays. Halloween is all yours.

Nah. We've successfully commercialized Easter and Christmas. You definitely don't need to be a Christian to celebrate Christmas. Easter isn't nearly as commercial but still able to be celebrated as a family holiday.

Also, I'm not sure I follow your logic in the first paragraph. Could you expound upon it?

• Author

sorry I missed your point, i believe in god because i said i don't believe in god!!! I do not get it. you probably meant that I recognized the existence of a god but decided to not believe in him. if that's the case you are wrong. I just see billions of believers and trying to see if I was missing anything. i just do not see the point of having a god. can you tell me why your god is worth believing in him?

I do not celebrate anything based on a religious belief, just following a tradition, just like tooth fairy or Santa clause I don't believe they exist but if I had little kids I would still want them to expect gift from them

The logical answer is that human beings had evolved to the point of being able to ask questions like "where did we come from"? "Why do we suffer"? "What happens when we die"? All religions try to offer answers to those types of questions. Maybe we have gotten too smart for our own good.

Another question that Christians are unable to answer. Why don't we see supernatural miracles today? I know your initial question was about God, in general, but that question is just the tip of the iceberg.

Good question.

One important consideration is firstly, miracles would not convince anyone of God's existence. Jesus performed miracles directly in front of people, and (what is interesting) the bible does not indicate it is odd the people still demanded his death.

But though He had performed so many signs before them, yet they were not believing in Him.

Secondly, grandiose miracles are actually rare in the bible (probably the type of miracles you are thinking of). Please note, the bible spans many millennia and in many cases (the book of Ruth for example), no miracles are recorded.

Thirdly, miracles do happen. I have experienced many. How can you know that no miracles happen today?

It also seems important to point out that a genetic fallacy is not a good example of an argument against the existence of God. See

. Edited by TheFinalWord
T-16bullseyeWompRat

Qubist. The real answer to your question can only be answered by you. I say im agnostic, but really my personal beliefs on after life and stuff is more complicated then that. But i live my life without care one way or the other, so its easy to just say im agnostic for arguments sake. Truth is my spirituality is ever shifting and changing as my experiences in life change. I dont feel a need to define my own beliefs and spirituality and wrap them up in a bow that labels me this or that.

By asking questions of others, really you are seaching for validation for your own beliefs. Which suggests you dont really believe what you say you believe to begin with. I dont think there is anything anyone can tell you to convince you to believe one way or another. And if that were the case, then i would call you a gullible person indeed. Your own beliefs should be yours, and yours alone. Same with a relationship with a higher power if you ever get to that point. It is your own relationship with him/her/it that is the only thing that matters. Not what you choose to believe. I think that is the underlying teachings in most religions that people dont really talk about enough. They focus more following rules, and fearing punishment when doing wrong or "sinning". Again going back to my modest mouse lyrics. Its all about after this life, not living this life we have here and appreciating all that it has to offer.

There is a reason that guy in the movie "book of eli" wanted a bible for controlling others. Because yes, it can be interpreted in a way to control. There are horrible religious teachers. West Baptist church for example, will use religious beliefs to hurt others. That is their soul agenda, to step on the throats of others in order to lift themselves up. Sick folks, and i would argue arent religious at all. Religions at their core teach acceptance of all others, regardless of their beliefs. This is where you have to put aside all the horrible $hit religion has caused, and remember what the actual teachings say. How sick and twisted fcks will use anything for their own personal gain.

I grew up in a church, went to private christian school until jr high. My beliefs arent in line with christians. I just cant read that book at take it seriously. Its VERY hard to take anyone seriously who can read Noah's Ark and just believe it. Two of every animal in the world on one boat huh? Gtfo of here plz! Now if the teaching was that this fable tells us to watch over and protect all life on earth in case of a crisis, yeah that I could get behind and support. But to believe that a family took on two of every animal, and i guess the marsupials all swam the ocean over to Australia, and indian elephants were directed one way while the african ones directed elsewhere and so on and so forth.... I just dont see how any rational human can read that story and be like "yeah thats believable". Anyway, religion and beliefs come from within. Not some silly book or forum discussion for that matter.

Ever tried psychedelics? Now THAT is a religious experience!! ;)

T-16bullseyeWompRat
that still doesn't not make sense. Human have on earth for more than 5000 years, God only chose a very short time and place to reveal himself, splitting seas,flooding, sending his own son, sending messengers then all of the sudden he decided it was enough involvement. so for tens of thousands years before and 2000 years after God has been silent.

But it does make sense if only we can just try and grasp the idea of eternal and what exactly that means. I mean you know what it means, but there is just no way to really wrap your head around it. Like how impossibly big the universe is. Its so large we just cant get a mental grasp on it. Unimaginably large. Eternal is unimaginable to us. Humans have been around for 200k years, the universe 13.7billion years right? Because eternal was before that lol, and will be forever after. In comparison, the life span of humans is as insignificant to an eternal being as that one time you blinked. And even that is probably a lopsided comparison. So while you believe it is strange that he has only shown himself once in human history (as we know it today), it might not be strange to an eternal being. Life has to exist elsewhere. Maybe hes woking his magic in a galaxy far away at the moment ;)

T-16bullseyeWompRat

One last thing haha!

I dont mean to be harsh when discussing topics like these and questioning ones personal beliefs. My own beliefs on the afterlife and our existence would be ridiculed by many no doubt. Even by my own family, but that doesnt meant i love them any less. At the end of the day our beliefs are just that, beliefs. They arent a truth for anyone, just beliefs. Its a fun topic to discuss, but there is no need to try and make your beliefs truth for others. Just accept that that is each others beliefs and move on. What difference does it really make in the end? You need your beliefs to help guide you through life, and i need mine. Thats pretty much it really.

LookAtThisPOst
I'm an atheist who doesn't believe in any god, as a matter of fact I see religions as something we inherited from people that didn't even know where the sun goes every night.

I grew up believing on my parent's version of GOD, like everybody else, but lost my faith.

This seems to be a common pattern with atheists, they come to atheism mostly because some loss in faith, usually through some kind of negative experiences that happened.

I knew of an atheist that was, I guess according to her, was "forced" to attend Christian schooling throughout her childhood, and now shows resentment towards her parents for ever having done so...quite a sad story.

You'll always hear, "How can a god allow such terrible things to happen to people." When I hear that, these people just aren't really being realistic.

That's just one of many atheists that come to their non-belief in such a fashion.

Thing is, I had personal experiences, even though they may have been negative, where my faith was more reinforced (usually from a spiritual experience) if anything, even in bad times.

What's even more disturbing is that atheists are demanding that current, pre-existing Christian statures or monuments be taken down now because they are "offended" by it? (But that's save for another post).

Edited by LookAtThisPOst
This seems to be a common pattern with atheists, they come to atheism mostly because some loss in faith, usually through some kind of negative experiences that happened.

This seems to be a common pattern with religious people, they come to religion because they need something in their life to have some meaning because they're really struggling, either with divorce, or job loss, or alcoholism, or drug addiction or whatever.

So they "find God" and figure he's going to make it all ok, and if not, well they always have the next life as a do over.

I knew of an atheist that was, I guess according to her, was "forced" to attend Christian schooling throughout her childhood, and now shows resentment towards her parents for ever having done so...quite a sad story.

You'll always hear, "How can a god allow such terrible things to happen to people." When I hear that, these people just aren't really being realistic.

That's just one of many atheists that come to their non-belief in such a fashion.

Thing is, I had personal experiences, even though they may have been negative, where my faith was more reinforced (usually from a spiritual experience) if anything, even in bad times.

What's even more disturbing is that atheists are demanding that current, pre-existing Christian statures or monuments be taken down now because they are "offended" by it? (But that's save for another post).

So what exactly are you trying to say about a person who might question God's existence when a tragedy occurs? Most religions do try to offer an answer to the question: "why do bad things happen"? because that is a fundamental question that most of us have asked at some point. Some people reject religion's answers, and some embrace those answers as a way to give life meaning. But I don't think it's fair to fault someone for coming to a different conclusion than anyone else.

• Like 1
Good question.

One important consideration is firstly, miracles would not convince anyone of God's existence. Jesus performed miracles directly in front of people, and (what is interesting) the bible does not indicate it is odd the people still demanded his death.

But though He had performed so many signs before them, yet they were not believing in Him.

Secondly, grandiose miracles are actually rare in the bible (probably the type of miracles you are thinking of). Please note, the bible spans many millennia and in many cases (the book of Ruth for example), no miracles are recorded.

Thirdly, miracles do happen. I have experienced many. How can you know that no miracles happen today?

It also seems important to point out that a genetic fallacy is not a good example of an argument against the existence of God. See

But I'm not even talking about supernatural occurrences for the sake of believing. Just the supernatural in general. With the passages in the Gospels, do you think the bystanders accepted he was performing miracles but that he wasn't the Messiah.

• Like 1
But I'm not even talking about supernatural occurrences for the sake of believing. Just the supernatural in general. With the passages in the Gospels, do you think the bystanders accepted he was performing miracles but that he wasn't the Messiah.

In some examples, it appears that is the case, however, it seems their hardness of heart lead to their rejection of Christ. For example, when Christ healed the man with the withered hand, their reply was Jesus should not perform miracles on the Sabbath Day.

Another time Jesus went into the synagogue, and a man with a shriveled hand was there. Some of them were looking for a reason to accuse Jesus, so they watched him closely to see if he would heal him on the Sabbath. Jesus said to the man with the shriveled hand, “Stand up in front of everyone.” He looked around at them in anger and, deeply distressed at their stubborn hearts, said to the man, “Stretch out your hand.” He stretched it out, and his hand was completely restored. Then the Pharisees went out and began to plot with the Herodians how they might kill Jesus.

On another example, when Christ healed a lame man, they rejected him because he told the man to pick up his mat and walk (working on the Sabbath Day). So people use political and religious intellectualism to substantiate their rejection.

So, because Jesus was doing these things on the Sabbath, the Jewish leaders began to persecute him. In his defense Jesus said to them, “My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I too am working.” For this reason they tried all the more to kill him; not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God.

Here is a clip of the blind man and the council using their political position to banish people that accepted Christ.

Interestingly, Christ not only performed miracles, He also repudiated all of their political and religious arguments as well. So it is not enough to convince someone with miracles or arguments. Ultimately, God will not force someone to believe against their own will. No miracles is so unambiguous that it cannot be explained away as secular.

I discussed the political argument about whether to pay taxes to Caesar.

Notice their motivation:

Keeping a close watch on him, they sent spies, who pretended to be sincere. They hoped to catch Jesus in something he said, so that they might hand him over to the power and authority of the governor.

Seems very similar to our gotcha media of today...

But Jesus, knowing their evil intent, said, “You hypocrites, why are you trying to trap me? Show me the coin used for paying the tax.” They brought him a denarius, and he asked them, “Whose image is this? And whose inscription?” “Caesar’s,” they replied.Then he said to them, “So give back to Caesar what is Caesar’s, and to God what is God’s.” When they heard this, they were amazed. So they left him and went away.

The lawyers also asked him about many subtle caveats in the law.

That same day the Sadducees, who say there is no resurrection, came to him with a question. “Teacher,” they said, “Moses told us that if a man dies without having children, his brother must marry the widow and raise up offspring for him. Now there were seven brothers among us. The first one married and died, and since he had no children, he left his wife to his brother. The same thing happened to the second and third brother, right on down to the seventh. Finally, the woman died. Now then, at the resurrection, whose wife will she be of the seven, since all of them were married to her?”

Jesus replied, “You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God.At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven. But about the resurrection of the dead—have you not read what God said to you, ‘I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’[? He is not the God of the dead but of the living.” Some of the teachers of the law responded, “Well said, teacher!” And no one dared to ask him any more questions.

Edited by TheFinalWord
  • Like 1

This is a really good question BC.. and TFW gave a really good answer... cool thread.

LookAtThisPOst
Keeping a close watch on him, they sent spies, who pretended to be sincere. They hoped to catch Jesus in something he said, so that they might hand him over to the power and authority of the governor.

Even when the attempted to hand Jesus over to Pontius Pilate, he washed his hands of the situation. So that backfired on them.

LookAtThisPOst
So what exactly are you trying to say about a person who might question God's existence when a tragedy occurs? Most religions do try to offer an answer to the question: "why do bad things happen"?

When bad things happen, this can bring people together. After 9/11, people in New York were most notably nice to each other.

Suffering is "our cross to bear." Our ability to cope and handle tragedy is what makes us stronger as Christians.

To get angry at God and say, "How could you let this happen.", though sometimes a natural reaction, but in the grand scheme of things is our ability to cope with these trials and tribulations.

To react in a "how could you let this happen?!" is considered a selfish act. And as human's we've all been there, we've questioned God's methods at some point in our lives. Even Christians have...that's why we are Christians.

We are a work in progress. :-)

qubist,

Hey, if you are waiting for signs and signals you'll be waiting a long time. No-one can persuade you to believe in God - that's up to you.

You say you are an atheist, so why would you want to believe anyway seems to be illogical to me?

:rolleyes:

• Like 1
When bad things happen, this can bring people together. After 9/11, people in New York were most notably nice to each other.

Suffering is "our cross to bear." Our ability to cope and handle tragedy is what makes us stronger as Christians.

To get angry at God and say, "How could you let this happen.", though sometimes a natural reaction, but in the grand scheme of things is our ability to cope with these trials and tribulations.

To react in a "how could you let this happen?!" is considered a selfish act. And as human's we've all been there, we've questioned God's methods at some point in our lives. Even Christians have...that's why we are Christians.

We are a work in progress. :-)

I understand what you are saying about bad times having the ability to strengthen religious faith. That is certainly true for many people. But many others loose faith over the same thing. I think both are natural reactions, one no better than the other.

SincereOnlineGuy
can anyone tell me one reason to believe in a GOD

Yes:

...because you need something to say/scream after you've just pounded your thumb with a hammer.

(but I can't think of a second...)

• Like 2
For you, the best I can offer is if you believe & there is no God, no harm no foul. If you don't believe & there is a God, you may have problems later.

Pascal's wager.

For the people who believe in God "just in case", don't you worry that maybe your omniscient God is aware that you're "believing" out of fear, and selfishly trying to hedge your bets?

It would suck to live all your life thinking you're going to heaven, only to be sent to hell because selfishly hedged your bets.

• Like 1

As you get older and realise your mortality, it might be a comfort if you believed you were going to meet your maker.

I doubt I'll ever convince myself of this though.

• Author
qubist,

Hey, if you are waiting for signs and signals you'll be waiting a long time. No-one can persuade you to believe in God - that's up to you.

You say you are an atheist, so why would you want to believe anyway seems to be illogical to me?

:rolleyes:

I do not necessary want to believe, I never said that. I'm convinced that they are are no gods based on what I've known and experienced I'm just wondering if and making sure I didn't miss anything.
  • Author
Yes:

...because you need something to say/scream after you've just pounded your thumb with a hammer.

(but I can't think of a second...)

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao: or during sex, oh My..... ape ancestor

• Author
As you get older and realise your mortality, it might be a comfort if you believed you were going to meet your maker.

I doubt I'll ever convince myself of this though.

Comfort the key word. we are all looking for it some can't see it without a "faith".

as of Morality, one of the things that help make me an atheist is when I realized that morality had nothing to do with faith

• Author
Good question.

how do you know for sure that jesus or anybody else had any miracles?

I have not seen any, nobody can prove any. would you mind share yours?