Would you share your bonus?

I hope I am not too late, but would like to get in some opinion on this.

Since we are nearing end year, why don't you lump it up and get them a nice Christmas gift in 1 month's time instead? ie. a more generous gift card. This way it wouldn't seem awkward for them to receive it now and it also wouldn't look weird for you to be dishing out presents in November.

I am in a bonus/commission based role and there are indeed months when I get earn much more than expected. I too, have 1 full time admin and 1 full time sales support colleagues who helps me with all administration and issues that needs to be done before we seal deals. However, I would never "reward" them with money or gifts out of nowhere. It will only make the income gap all too obvious and I will never want them to feel that way.

Payroll and bonuses are P&C. To put it bluntly, they are just doing their job (and doing a fantastic job at it). Not sure about your company, but for mine, if the company has done well for the entire year, my admin supports too get a nice bonus at the end of the year. Leave the monetary rewarding to the management.

I would highly suggest a nice dinner/night out treat this month followed by a generous Christmas gift next month.

You can also verbally thank them face to face for a job well done. I would love to get that- even more than a gift card. You can't put a price to genuine rapport and appreciation between colleagues.

• Author

m4p,

Well there's still time to consider that. Since I'm getting the bonus over the course of two paychecks, I haven't made my final decision. The first half of the bonus hits on Friday. I'll get the second half on either the 20th or 27th. I guess we are getting pretty close to Christmas now. We'll probably have a party/get-together within a month. Maybe that would be a more appropriate time.

Like I said to one poster, my biggest concern was creating an expectation for this to happen more frequently.

MP, if given around the holidays, it may seem more like a holiday bonus so won't be expected as frequently, but might set a precedent towards receiving one around this time of year every year.

My husband owns a medical practice with 16 employees. They have monthly goals (patients to be booked and yearly follow-ups to be scheduled) that are posted and if the goals are made, everyone knows they get a share of the pot.

There are no expectations but all can see if a certain number of patients are booked to be seen, then income is down and no bonus can be expected. They also know that the more monthly bonuses which are gathered usually means a larger Christmas bonus at the end of the year.

• Like 1
  • Author

Carrie, the more I think about it, the more I think you and m4p have a good point. The upcoming holiday season gives me "cover" to just do what I was going to do, but at a time that implies it's a one time thing.

Now if this would have happened in June, I'm not sure I would have wanted to wait so long, but the timing works out.

Ugh I have a related work question but should make another thread for it.

Hell no, being in sales I carry the quota and the pressure of getting the job done. It's a reward for busting my butt and making sacrifices.

I'm not sure I would share the entire bonus into equal parts, but I think I'd feel that a couple of people who contributed to my performance being of a bonus worthy standard certainly deserved some gesture of gratitude and appreciation.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Author

Okay I revived this thread because a few things have changed, and it sorta dovetails into the Christmas Bonuses thread, but this one has al the context.

This week I have been sick and I went home one day at 10. When I came in the next morning, I realized that my two support people had organized my entire office, from cleaning off my desk (which was a nightmare, admittedly), to reshelving all my files to even cleaning/wiping down my desk area. This was way beyond the call of duty, and I certainly didn't expect it.

These are the sorts of things they do for me that made me consider splitting my bonuses (which I've gotten every month for three months in a row, partially because of their efforts).

I'm giving them a lump sum Christmas gift in a week or so, and it will be cash, and it will be more than $250 now because they are so thoughtful and efficient.

See, I can be nice.

• Like 2