Root Canals and Pain

Is it possible the dentist missed a root? Sometimes there is a extra one and, if left behind, it will cause extreme pain.

• Author
Is it possible the dentist missed a root? Sometimes there is a extra one and, if left behind, it will cause extreme pain.

It's quite possible!! The dentist didn't give me much information after she completed the first half of my root canal. All she told me was that since there is still an infection, we had to wait for it to clear up before she can finish. There definitely has to be some explanation as to what's going on.

I'm a little peeved that I even had to go to the ER in the first place. I called the dentist on Friday and on Saturday. Neither time did they give off the impression that they believed that I was in as much pain as I was.

I slept with an ice pack on my face last night, and while I only got 5 hours of sleep (I woke up when I rolled onto the side of my face that hurts), I felt much better this morning! I've been keeping the ice pack on my face all day, taking the antibiotics, and taking the pain medication as required. I'm just glad i'm not in tears any more from the pain!!

Oil pulling. Swish coconut oil, or olive oil.. Even like almond oil, in your mouth for 20min. Probably it even just sitting there since it'll probably hurt to swish. Then spit it out. Repeat. Probably every couple hours.

• Like 1

How you are feeling? Reading about your pain hurts to read!! Brings back my memories of it all. Tooth pain is sooo awful.

Have they done more xrays? Just wondering if the infection now has gone to your jaw and spread. Sorry don't want to scare you but that's some wicked infection you have!!

• Like 1
HopeForTomorrow

After reading this thread I'm thinking that there is a good chance you are in the hospital getting IV antibiotics. Which it sounds like you should have had several days ago. I hope you are okay.

Please consider switching dentists. Of course the Tylenol 3 did nothing - T3 and Vicodin are exactly the same in terms of pain relief - they have the exact same ratio of strength (5 mg hydrocodone = 30 mg codeine). IMO that makes no sense and you should have been referred for what sounds like a severe infection with that amount of pain. And the ER visit... they gave you more pain meds and did nothing for an infection. I hope you managed to run into a healthcare professional who did something to actually help solve the problem.

• Like 1
  • Author

Sorry guys! I didn't see the latest posts until today.

I just got back from the dentist and got the rest of the root canal procedure done - in addition to having the last wisdom tooth removed. I told the dentist about how I had to go to the hospital because of the pain, and she said "No wonder, the infection was worse than we had expected." I'm just glad it's over and done with now, and hopefully I won't have any more issues with it.

As far as the pain goes, about 2 days ago it became MUCH more tolerable! Ibprofen and a cold pack did the trick!

I'm relieved that it's taken care of now - but i'm nervous about the pain i'll feel when the left side of my face isn't numb anymore. They've given me more medicine though, and i'm just going to take it easy the next couple of days.

I just want to say THANK YOU again for everyone who has contributed and supported me! Dealing with extreme tooth pain is a horrible experience, and you guys have truly helped! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Glad to hear you're on the mend! Yep, tooth pain is just awful!!

I am off to the dentist next week as one of my older root canals that I had done has weakened yet another tooth (needed a crown but they are so expensive) and earlier this evening (damn leftover Halloween candy) a piece of it broke off :( .

• Author
Glad to hear you're on the mend! Yep, tooth pain is just awful!!

I am off to the dentist next week as one of my older root canals that I had done has weakened yet another tooth (needed a crown but they are so expensive) and earlier this evening (damn leftover Halloween candy) a piece of it broke off :( .

:eek: That sounds painful!! I hope it's an easy fix!!

I've been to the dentist twice in the last week - once to take the stitches out, and the second time to get a cleaning (and learn that I need more fillings).

Seems like once you go to the dentist, you're stuck going every couple of months!

yup! Strike up a convo with your dentist, and you'll find he is; building onto his home, planning a fishing trip, or saving up for that new boat, so he'll gladly work to get your smile in shape and the price just happens to fund his endeavors quite

nicely .

• Author
yup! Strike up a convo with your dentist, and you'll find he is; building onto his home, planning a fishing trip, or saving up for that new boat, so he'll gladly work to get your smile in shape and the price just happens to fund his endeavors quite

nicely .

That's what my mom thinks also. And I do too, to an extent.

Embarrassingly enough, I haven't been to the dentist in about 3 years because I just couldn't afford it. That, on top of other medical issues that were more important at the time, I just couldn't justify going to the dentist every couple of months.

Now that I can afford it - and since i've been putting it off - there are issues that need to be taken care of. I have to go back for more fillings now.

However, the last time I went to the dentist (3 years ago) they recommended that I get braces due to the fact that I still have 2 baby teeth with my adult teeth impacted beneath them. The dentist that i'm currently seeing, only recommended that we keep an eye out on them. She thinks that there isn't a need for them to be pulled and for me to get braces unless it's absolutely necessary.

So while I do agree that some doctors and dentists just want all the money they can get, there are some that do care about their patients and know when something just simply costs too much when it isn't absolutely necessary to get done.