How often and how much water do you drink?

I drink tons of water. I have a 40oz water bottle (just over 1liter) that I fill up 3 or 4 times a day at work. I drink 2 cups of tea and 1 cup of water w/ ACV in it before work and I drink a pint of steeped nettle leaf at night.

I can't imagine drinking just 1 liter of water a day. That just doesn't sound like enough! My coworkers will go hours and hours without water and I could never do that. I am constantly sipping it and I don't think I'm in danger of brain swelling or anything lol. I do pee a LOT though (like once an hour after my first water bottle!)

I do think part of my water consumption is from growing up in the desert. You HAD to constantly drink water when it was a DRY 115 deg out for days on end.

On a regular cool weather day I'll drink about 1-2 liters. On a hot summer day I will easily be over a gallon if I'm outdoors, which is typically most days. On days with a lot of exercise, or if I'm in the mountains, a gallon or so is probably average.

One gallon equals 3.8 liters, so it's not as much as one would think.

Compared to the people close to me, I'm on the low end of water consumption on a regular day.

Edited to add that I'm using the US gallon measurement, as I believe some others are as well.

Edited by rester

1/2-3/4 of a gallon a day. When I don't drink enough water, I'm constantly hungry and that leads to bad diet decisions.

PrettyEmily77

Drinking at least 2L of water a day is essential for your body to function properly, irrespective of your weight, fitness / beauty regime or any diet you're on.

Water is to your body what petrol / gas / diesel is to your car. Without water, your body, and more importantly, your brain, does not function to full capacity and dehydration is the root cause of many underlying medical issues (lethargy, sleep deprivation, etc.).

The more you drink (water that is, other stuff don't really count), the better you will feel.

Water: How much should you drink every day? - Mayo Clinic

So how much fluid does the average, healthy adult living in a temperate climate need? The Institute of Medicine determined that an adequate intake (AI) for men is roughly about 13 cups (3 liters) of total beverages a day. The AI for women is about 9 cups (2.2 liters) of total beverages a day.

You don't need to rely only on what you drink to meet your fluid needs. What you eat also provides a significant portion of your fluid needs. On average, food provides about 20 percent of total water intake. For example, many fruits and vegetables, such as watermelon and spinach, are 90 percent or more water by weight.

In addition, beverages such as milk and juice are composed mostly of water. Even beer, wine and caffeinated beverages — such as coffee, tea or soda — can contribute, but these should not be a major portion of your daily total fluid intake. Water is still your best bet because it's calorie-free, inexpensive and readily available.

Generally, if you drink enough fluid so that you rarely feel thirsty and your urine is colorless or light yellow — and measures about 6.3 cups (1.5 liters) or more a day if you were to keep track — your fluid intake is probably adequate.

That all being said, other factors e.g. exercise and climate affect how much you need, and there isn't harm in drinking more than the 'adequate' amount for most people (people without kidney issues, that is, and within reasonable limits). But it's also unnecessary to adhere to the "You MUST drink 3L of PURE WATER every day!!!!" myth.

• Like 1
PrettyEmily77
That all being said, other factors e.g. exercise and climate affect how much you need, and there isn't harm in drinking more than the 'adequate' amount for most people (people without kidney issues, that is, and within reasonable limits). But it's also unnecessary to adhere to the "You MUST drink 3L of PURE WATER every day!!!!" myth.

It's not necessary, but from a medical point of view, whatever the Mayo Clinic says, drinking at least 2L of water is the recommended minimum. People don't do it, but they should.

thefooloftheyear
It's not necessary, but from a medical point of view, whatever the Mayo Clinic says, drinking at least 2L of water is the recommended minimum. People don't do it, but they should.

These medical professionals also have tables that dictate what people should weigh...meanwhile a typical 5'10" guy can be lean/fit at 225lb while another guy the same height can be fat/overweight at 170lbs...

Too many variables..

TFY

PrettyEmily77
These medical professionals also have tables that dictate what people should weigh...meanwhile a typical 5'10" guy can be lean/fit at 225lb while another guy the same height can be fat/overweight at 170lbs...

Too many variables..

TFY

Well yeah, there are as many variables as there are individuals, their choices, needs and habits, be they good or bad. Bottom line is tho that the body needs water more than it needs anything else.

Could you please link the medical guideline that states this recommendation (especially that it must be water and that other beverages or food intake doesn't count)? I'm not disbelieving you, but I'd like to see it if possible. Mayo Clinic guidelines are used by lots of medical practitioners.

Edited by Elswyth

Too many variables..

TFY

This is true, but they did state the caveat that the BMI table is only reasonably accurate for people of average muscle mass. So bodybuilders or people who do a lot of heavy lifting at work don't count and should use body fat % measurements instead.

Although... I've seen some guys who do sedentary work, go to the gym maybe once every few weeks, and clearly have a pot belly claiming that the BMI is wrong and their 'overweight' status is caused by 'muscle'. Uh, no it isn't.... :laugh:

• Like 1
PrettyEmily77
Could you please link the medical guideline that states this recommendation (especially that it must be water and that other beverages or food intake doesn't count)? I'm not disbelieving you, but I'd like to see it if possible. Mayo Clinic guidelines are used by lots of medical practitioners.

Front Matter | Dietary Reference Intakes for Water, Potassium, Sodium, Chloride, and Sulfate | The National Academies Press

There are no strict medical guidelines about how often / what type of beverages ppl must be drinking (that would be unrealistic), but according to the Institute of Medicine, a general guide should be of about 125 ounces / 3.7L of fluid consumption a day, about 80% in beverages and the rest in food (that's what the average person does anyway, typically).

The problem is explaining to ppl that water should really be constituting the bulk of their fluid consumption, purely down to the fact that most other things are bad for your health, if unregulated (which happens a lot, unfortunately).

Substituting fizzy sodas / caffeine / juices / worst stuff all day will certainly count towards your daily intake but could also bring about a bunch of potential health hazards that very easily avoidable.

As ever, it's about self-regulation / common sense / knowing what's good for your body, and that's why health professionals tend to advise ppl to drink mostly water to meet their fluid requirements; other stuff in moderation to top that up is okay too of course, provided you are already healthy.

• Like 1