What are your thoughts about cheap wedding?

Jesus, this post really hits home. My son is getting married one year from now.

His bride to be wants the traditional wedding with multiple bridesmaids, etc.

Me? Well my Elvis imitation of singing "Viva Las Vegas" didn't impress them.

Nor did my recitation of a lesson from Cinderella that no matter how fancy the ball is, the coach turns into a pumpkin at midnight.

Nor did my offer to have a local judge I know marry them.

I even tried bribery with a cash offer if they'd have a small wedding.

They are pressing on regardless.

My roles? Smile, show up, pay up. My wife, being female, refuses to see $ spent on a wedding ceremony as wasted. That's why I've surrendered to my roles stated above.

I hate the matrimony-industrial complex.

• Like 1
addictedtoyoga

The wedding does not determine the strength/length of the marriage.

We had a small wedding, we had 33 guests in total (immediate family and close friends) and it was amazing. We got married on a Sunday of a long weekend so we saved 50% off rental fees, then we rented out a restaurant for our reception. It was very intimate and it was great to be able to spend a good amount of time with everyone and not feel rushed or like I can't get to anyone.

FYI - my first wedding was big and expensive and we got divorced.

what do you mean by cheap?

If it is an intimate small wedding, with a lot of thought on home cooked meals, a local friend playing music, another friend shooting pictures, a big tent behind the house with the BBQ going....lots of beer...it could be a great party! It would not cost much money, but would not be in any way CHEAP because of the crafty ways you cut corners but still had fun.

BlessYourHeart

I think two people who are in love, don't have to spend a lot of money to show it to the world. You could easily have a nice backyard /church wedding and even a cook out with enough work put into it..

I wouldn't worry about what anyone else thinks either..

My wedding was cheap as chips.

As I saw it logically, I want to live in comfort and ease and decorate the house we live in.

I don't want to deplete my future hubbies bank for one day and then live with a pauper in debt afterwards who's tight with his cash, all because of a wedding depleting him.

My wedding was simple, small, enjoyable, amazing and stress free.

GunslingerRoland

I don't think weddings need to cost a ton, and I think most spend too much on their weddings. That being said, there is a point where you can go from cost effective to tacky.

Good ideas on how to keep your wedding affordable:

Smaller guest list

Simpler location (community hall, backyard, etc.)

Shorter affair (just a cocktail party rather than a full reception)

Cutting out or down on unnecessary or unwanted expenses (renting a fancy car, really expensive dresses/tux rentals)

Tacky things to save money:

Making the guests who've already bought you an expensive present pay $7/drink.

Cheaping out on food to the point where people can't enjoy/get enough food.

Demanding cash as a gift

Telling people they can't bring their spouse

If I ever have friends that would judge me or my wife over the size of my wedding, I hope I have the fortitude to tell them to FO and find better friends.

I got married for the $40 JoP fee and the cost of the marriage license plus parking. It was great! No muss,no fuss, no drama and no stress.

The JoP's two little old lady staff members acted as witnesses. They were all a twitter. It was so adorable! The ladies took a pic to post on their wedding wall. I went back a year later and asked for the picture so I could frame it as a first anniversary present for DH. 12 years later, I still all warm and fuzzy walking by and looking at that picture.:love:

• Like 1