"I" don't exist...

Clarence_Boddicker

You're walking through life with your eyes closed, because you must not want to see things as they are.

How far is the closest WalMart to your mom's house? WalMart will hire just about anyone with a pulse. Do you own the car you drive to work in or is that your mom's? If you own it, there's tons of part time delivery jobs. As to legal ways to make money without having a job: Buy low sell high. You can easily make money by buying stuff cheap from garage sales & such and selling them on Ebay. Save a bit of money & hit the garage sales with your smartphone. See what stuff has sold for on Ebay. You can even find free stuff on Craigslist that can be sold on Ebay.

Your first step should be limiting the information about your life to your mom. Stop telling her that you're looking for another job. Eventually your mom will die & you'll be forced to become independent.

Edited by Clarence_Boddicker
  • Author
How far is the closest WalMart to your mom's house? WalMart will hire just about anyone with a pulse.

I guess. Wal-Mart just seems so "bottom of the barrel", though, and feels almost like a step down. Also, for the last several months, I've been working in a different department, in which I basically do copy and print jobs for customers, and if I'm going to continue being in retail, I kind of like doing that over just general "retail". But, of course, that's sort of a "specialized" area that not every department store does. I've been looking for and applying to any and all places that do this type of service.

Do you own the car you drive to work in or is that your mom's? If you own it, there's tons of part time delivery jobs.

I really, really hate driving, especially now that we're getting to winter weather, so anything that requires me to drive (beyond commuting to and from work) is not something I'd be up for long term.

I dunno. I understand that it seems like I'm "handicapping" myself a lot, but I just don't want to end up somewhere, doing something, that makes me miserable all of the time. I understand that "no one likes their job", but most people end up doing something that they're at least competent at and can perform consistently on a regular basis. And unfortunately, there's just not much I can say that about for myself.

As expected, I've not heard anything from that place I had interviewed with this week. I'm super bummed out, because that was such an ideal opportunity for me, and I really thought the fact that I interviewed twice was a good sign.

That said, I'm not expecting to get the job. They said I'd hear something either yesterday or today if I were going to be offered the position. I didn't hear anything yesterday, and I imagine if they really wanted me, I'd have heard something from them ASAP. Which really sucks, as this was probably the most "perfect" position for me that I could reasonably hope for right now; it's very local, and it's something that I actually have enough experience doing to be able to reasonably perform the job. Can't imagine I could find something better than that...

Don't just let that go. It's something that you want. Follow up with them.

This exact situation happened to me before getting hired for the last company I worked for. I hadn't heard back from them, so I called, and they were glad I followed up because they were too busy to make the effort. It ended up becoming an excellent job and an amazing resume-builder, one that allowed me to continue to the current company and position that I have today. All because I didn't let them forget about me.

Learn to be more assertive or opportunities will continue to pass you by.

• Author
Don't just let that go. It's something that you want. Follow up with them.

This exact situation happened to me before getting hired for the last company I worked for. I hadn't heard back from them, so I called, and they were glad I followed up because they were too busy to make the effort. It ended up becoming an excellent job and an amazing resume-builder, one that allowed me to continue to the current company and position that I have today. All because I didn't let them forget about me.

Learn to be more assertive or opportunities will continue to pass you by.

Okay, well, how do you contact them in a way that seems "assertive" and not bothersome? How long should one wait to contact them?

If they said you would hear from them on Thursday or Friday, I would have called them late Friday morning to check in. Since it's now Sunday night, I would call them first thing Monday morning.

They probably have quite a few people that they would hire, and the one that checks in with them is the one that is going to get the job. I would only consider calling them bothersome if you called every day. Following up after they said you would hear from them but you didn't is not bothersome.

Also, don't email or text the manager of anything like that. Pick up the phone or, if possible, go in in person.

• Author

Well, I got the job. While I am glad that I'll no longer have to deal with the stress of a long, difficult commute, at the end of the day, this new job is still a menial low value "dead end" job.

So, I still feel an overall sense of dissatisfaction from life. If I'm not going to have a career, if I'm not going to have a social life, if I'm not going to have romance, I wish there were something I excelled at, something I was good at, something that could truly define me and my life, and make me feel like I have an actual sense of purpose.

As it is, I feel like I'm just doomed to mediocrity and a menial unimportant life. There's nothing I'm "great" at or "skilled" at or have an affinity for that I can use in such a way to have a life I can be proud of, a life that makes me want to get out of bed every morning for, a life that I can look back on and say it was worth it all.

And yeah, I realize this seems overly pessimistic when I just received what should be considered good news. Like I said, I am glad that this solves the problem of my commute. But again, this doesn't really solve what I feel are the more pressing matters. This is just me switching from doing menial tasks at one place, to doing the same menial tasks at a different place that happens to be much closer to home.

Getting away from that part of the discussion, I find myself nervous and confused about putting in my two weeks notice at my current job. That's not something I've ever had to do before, so it feels very awkward to me. I want to do it ASAP, because I'd prefer for next week to be my last week, as opposed to having to work another week here on top of that, but I do still have to take a drug test for my new job (which I won't have any issues with, but it would be just my luck that something weird happens with it that causes them to rescind their job offer) at the end of this week. So I'm not quite sure if I should give my notice now or wait for the drug test stuff, but then have to work an extra week at my current job...

This week is also kind of weird timing because the main manager is on vacation, and I'm not completely sure which of the other, lower ranking managers would be the next best person to give my notice to.