Two of the most popular profiles on Ok Cupid...

impatiently_patient

I think women are easy to impress. I don't get your bitter tone, it honestly disturbs me because I think you have the tools to get who/what you want. Take cool photos, connect - or don't.

• Like 1
If you pause at 1:27, you'll get to read the douchebag's profile. The first sentence in his profile says "I want a girlfriend and am tired of meeting so many women just want sex or to bitch about their x-boyfriend who they can't get over."

That guy is gross. They should do a feature on misleading things men do. :p I think the main red flag for his arrogance is his putting down other women. I just can't stand that negativity even in a jokey sense. I would not go out with him. The arrogance is evident in his profile. It's so obvious gaming when he says "tired of meeting women who just want sex". Sorry if this sounds sexist but I have never known a man to say anything like that.

But I will say what he is doing is working for him. He is correct about coming out swinging with your profile. You have to stand out, say something exciting or thought provoking.

I think anyone opinionated about something stands out even if you don't agree with him. The worst thing is when a guy isn't opinionated enough and just goes along with whatever you say. Decisiveness is attractive and maybe that's the tone he gets across in his profile. Even though I find him arrogant, it is attractive that he has this 'f*** it' attitude of him just telling his truth and not trying to please everyone.

But yeah you can tell by his smugness, he is one total player.

So, pictures at different angles, and hipstergram filters. Wow. Women are apparently easy to impress. Here I was about to buy a 4/3rds with low f-stop capabilities. Just saved me a bundle.

Men are into that too. I'm really laid back about my appearance but I have to show more skin and put on instagram filters and wears tonnes more make-up to get attention on online dating because otherwise I can't compete with the other women on the site. Sometimes you have to play the game.

• Author
impatiently_patient
I think women are easy to impress. I don't get your bitter tone, it honestly disturbs me because I think you have the tools to get who/what you want. Take cool photos, connect - or don't.

Who said I was bitter? If dumba__ app filters are all it takes to make a simian like this guy into gold, I'm elated. Who knew clear, straightforward pics were such a c-block.

So what filters make you ladies the wettest?

Quite the writer, isn't he? :rolleyes:

So, pictures at different angles, and hipstergram filters. Wow. Women are apparently easy to impress. Here I was about to buy a 4/3rds with low f-stop capabilities. Just saved me a bundle.

The majority of people who use such apps wouldn't even know what an f stop is ;)

Men are into that too. I'm really laid back about my appearance but I have to show more skin and put on instagram filters and wears tonnes more make-up to get attention on online dating because otherwise I can't compete with the other women on the site. Sometimes you have to play the game.

I don't use online dating but if I did, I'd be turned off if all I saw were filtered pictures of a woman. I'd like to see the real them, not altered photos.

If you feel you have to use such things to grab attention of certain men, then I hope you won't later complain that such men are really superficial or only about sex. Remember what demographic you're targeting by doing such things.

• Author
impatiently_patient
The majority of people who use such apps wouldn't even know what an f stop is ;)

Yet they all apparently know how to get great photos.

Frank2thepoint
That guy is gross. They should do a feature on misleading things men do. :p I think the main red flag for his arrogance is his putting down other women. I just can't stand that negativity even in a jokey sense. I would not go out with him. The arrogance is evident in his profile. It's so obvious gaming when he says "tired of meeting women who just want sex". Sorry if this sounds sexist but I have never known a man to say anything like that.

I concur he is misleading women. But he shouldn't take the full blame. If the guy is being somewhat honest about his sexual adventures, the women he is banging are not dumb. They know what they are getting into as soon as they meet in person. He has something to brag about because he is meeting women that have no problem with having sex with him. You may see right through his manipulative tactics, as there are other women that do. But he is in a city where majority of single women are not relationship-conscious. The girls are willing to endure his disrespect just to have sex. So by that argument, some of those girls might be bragging about it too.

Yet they all apparently know how to get great photos.

Nice, dropping some photography terms. Pro tip: Lower that F-stop to blur out everything around you. Put focus on that beard. I hear some women love beards.

Nice, dropping some photography terms. Pro tip: Lower that F-stop to blur out everything around you.

Bokeh! Canon 85L f1.2 wide open

Apparently I hit OKC lotto, at least that's how it feels for now. Guess I should make a thread at some point.

• Author
impatiently_patient
Nice, dropping some photography terms. Pro tip: Lower that F-stop to blur out everything around you. Put focus on that beard. I hear some women love beards.

Yeah, I'm aware.

Strangely enough, I do know a bit about photography. I took some classes back in school (darkroom and all), and shown some interest in it by proxy of working in graphic design, and with people who were enthusiasts in the medium.

Yet somehow, I'm just terrible at photography... at least if my online dating success is any gauge of it.

I guess it boils down to practice just like anything else. I just don't enjoy taking pictures, hence I never got into it. I've been entertaining the idea of getting a good camera so I might actually succeed at online dating... but that's ALL I would use the camera for. It's a tough justification for the $1000+ minimum to get into an adequate camera. Might as well get lights and diffusers at that point.

I just don't get why a reasonably clear, decently lit pic isn't good enough to to get a reply from women online. I mean, my friends hassle me about being good looking, but I guess all the hammy drama and post-processing is a pre-requisite. :rolleyes:

Edited by impatiently_patient

The sad thing is, apparently a lot of married men are starting to morph into the man on this youtube video.

It's all about da kink baybay

I mean, my friends hassle me about being good looking, but I guess all the hammy drama and post-processing is a pre-requisite. :rolleyes:

If that's you in your avatar, I would say beards might be niche. Like they seem to strongly attract people who specifically like beards. That kind of seems like it should be obvious, but I guess what I'm trying to say is maybe you are appealing, but it's more about getting the right girls to see you. Just as if I dressed in a gothic looking style, I can feel good-looking, being that is my comfortable appearance, but I might only be specifically appealing to those who are drawn to that kind of aesthetic.

• Author
impatiently_patient
If that's you in your avatar, I would say beards might be niche. Like they seem to strongly attract people who specifically like beards. That kind of seems like it should be obvious, but I guess what I'm trying to say is maybe you are appealing, but it's more about getting the right girls to see you. Just as if I dressed in a gothic looking style, I can feel good-looking, being that is my comfortable appearance, but I might only be specifically appealing to those who are drawn to that kind of aesthetic.

Well, I've only had a beard for about six months now and been online dating for about five years. If anything, I've gotten MORE attention from women (out-and-about at least; online seems a zero-sum game for me either way).

I'm a muso/artist/designer type. I may not always have a beard (and I've got pics without) but there will always be something about me that's not so in-line with a straight laced aesthetic. That's never been who I am or what I'm about. I'm 100% comfortable with who I am. I've had 38 years to solidify that.

Personally, I'm not too into lifestyle as an indicator of personality, and by way of that, am fine with clean cut women as much as the girls with green mermaid hair and extensive tattoos... that said, I generally start with the later as that's who's more into the alternative crowd that's more my parallel. Plenty of cute women in those circles shacking up with bearded guys. I shouldn't be having any trouble.

that said, I generally start with the later as that's who's more into the alternative crowd that's more my parallel. Plenty of cute women in those circles shacking up with bearded guys. I shouldn't be having any trouble.

Agreed, just bringing it up. Is there some kind of alternative filter? I think that would make things a little more interesting. This doesn't seem like it should be hard. Keywords: geek, alternative, metal, goth, artistic, anything like that... Then again, it might just be easier to meet these kinds of people at clubs or concerts or art parties.

• Author
impatiently_patient
Agreed, just bringing it up. Is there some kind of alternative filter? I think that would make things a little more interesting. This doesn't seem like it should be hard. Keywords: geek, alternative, metal, goth, artistic, anything like that... Then again, it might just be easier to meet these kinds of people at clubs or concerts or art parties.

It's an interesting concept, but without some self imposed classification, how is any dating site supposed to filter this stuff? :confused:

Not to mention that some of the women I've dated haven't exactly been "alternative" at all, while others fit the description to a T (...are goths even a thing in 2015? Isn't that a dead genre? :sick:)

I kind of like the idea as a starting point, but I honestly think it would eliminate a lot of interesting women who don't necessarily spend so much time trying overtly hard to be different... who might be compatible in the end. The world doesn't play so even. I really doesn't.

For instance, one of my favorite UNDERGROUND RAPPERS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWg1ja6qFzw

pretty much found water level with one of my favorite PROGRESSIVE ROCK ARTISTS:

Makes sense to me.. but either way, the turnout for women at either type of performance (in the U.S.) is quite weak, hence the focus on online dating. I don't make the rules, just try to follow the path to possible success... and usually fail...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author
impatiently_patient

Alright, found some time in my busy schedule to fire up my OLD profiles again. :cool:

Let's see if this filter nonsense holds water. :cool:

• Author
impatiently_patient

Yeah, as I suspected... the filter thing is utter B.S. :rolleyes:

New profile. Same results I got before. No replies from women that interests me, only profile visits from 45 year old townies with kids.

Yeah, as I suspected... the filter thing is utter B.S. :rolleyes:

New profile. Same results I got before. No replies from women that interests me, only profile visits from 45 year old townies with kids.

You gotta be doing something else wrong then! Do black and white, and sideways!

• Author
impatiently_patient
You gotta be doing something else wrong then! Do black and white, and sideways!

One pic is black and white, the rest hipstergram'd.

Sideways, really?

• Author
impatiently_patient
lol... those were both jokes.

So, no B&W? :confused: The clownhouse in the video had one.

So, no B&W? :confused: The clownhouse in the video had one.

lol clownhouse!!! idk man... I really don't. OLD is just not my thing. It took me years before I even put a few pics of myself on fb. I might consider some kind of action shot. Like something that shows a character trait that you like about yourself. Maybe sitting in a car, or holding a book, or playing a video game, that kind of thing.

Oh blech, that guy Tanner is gross. He's not attractive physically or mentally. His physical shortcomings could be overcome (for me) if he had a decent personality and values though.