My neighbor downstairs

You keep saying what should and shouldn't be. I think people mostly agree with you, but are telling you what IS. Like I said in my first post, from my life experence, the thing to do is move, you will thank yourself.

If you are getting a killer deal on rent, now you know the apartment came with problems. If the rent is rather high for the market, you can do better if you move. Renters come and go. The management works for the owners association. If it's easy to find tenants in your area, the landlords just don't want to deal with tenants that complain about neighbors.

• Like 1
DrReplyInRhymes

I actually get seizures if around the marijuanna smoke, go figure something that stops seizures in most ppl, gives me them. The Migranes and ole factory intensify so I do understand that physical re-action and annoyance.

You brought up an amazing point, I didn't think about it that way...

Were you to approach me with that reasoning, I'd adjust my habits for your stay.

Our first encounter he informed me that the girl who lived there before me would always report him and then he would report her.

With his history of behavior, I'd avoid him. I'd still take your concerns to property management, but without getting angry or personalizing the issues. Focus on the potential damage to your landlord's unit from the constant smoke coming in (my SO's father used to restore homes and could attest to how expensive and difficult it can be to clean up long term smoke or pet odors. ) and the detrimental effects it could have on other tenants' health. Discuss with management the possibility of sealing any vents or holes between your units, such as light switches and outlets, which could be letting the smoke come in. Property management might shrug and claim they can do nothing, but at least you've made your concerns known to them.

Look into the building's covenants and restrictions; if the building prohibits smoking in units or directly outside of them, he can be reported. For the time being, installing a dam on your door bottom and a fan in the window blowing outward might cut down on some of the smell. A good air purifier is a more expensive option.

If you're that stressed and uncomfortable in a place where you should obviously feel at ease and safe, it can't hurt to start looking for better, smoke-free housing as soon as your lease is up. It might cost more and be a longer commute but you might feel happier if you did.

• Like 1

About the hearing you walking around, oh tough for him he can wear earplugs. About his smoking keep everything closed and just air dry your clothes inside. I know this can be frustrating but if you like the place it comes with the territory and you would have to work with it.

Also, about the weird vibes he gives, i can understand there are some people that simply are socially awkward and do give this eerie vibe, like weird vibes that they can't really help. I would just avoid interacting with him. Don't lead his conversations, if your walking into your apartment and he starts to come by to complain just politely say im really busy i have to study and go inside. Just keep it short hi and byes, just try to avoid interaction with him all together.

Work with your situation if you really love the apartment like you say you do. Sometimes there are things that come with the territory in this situation you get a lovely apartment with that one annoying neighbor.

If all else fails just ask the landlord if you can move to a different apartment.

I remember her first post some months back. This pushy neighbor started in on her before she was even moved in, not because she was making noise. He was intrusive. I would have backed him up that very day by going to the landlord and asking for a different unit of for him to muzzle the guy. Chances are he's trying to talk to her because she's young and he wants to talk to her, but he's also looking for trouble. So I don't blame her, but I DO blame her for not going to the landlord when it first started and having this ridiculous fear about it. Pushovers attract pushy people and they can smell unassertiveness just as keenly as you can smell their smoke.

I remember her first post some months back. This pushy neighbor started in on her before she was even moved in, not because she was making noise. He was intrusive. I would have backed him up that very day by going to the landlord and asking for a different unit of for him to muzzle the guy. Chances are he's trying to talk to her because she's young and he wants to talk to her, but he's also looking for trouble. So I don't blame her, but I DO blame her for not going to the landlord when it first started and having this ridiculous fear about it. Pushovers attract pushy people and they can smell unassertiveness just as keenly as you can smell their smoke.

No, she was moved in and disturbing her neighbour before he approached her.

OP you say the building is fabulous, safe and has everything you need. There is no such thing as perfect. No perfect job, perfect relationship, or perfect place. There is always going to be small things that could be better. You either accept those little things or you take steps to deal with them. You can personally speak with your neighbour, or complain to the manager, or move. Those are your options. Pick one.

When you share walls with someone, you have to learn to tolerate certain things. A condo is not a house. Getting self-righteous about your right to walk around inside or to not have a neighbor smoking outside your unit doesn't change the fact that a) your footsteps will be heard by others or b) your neighbor smokes a lot.

Accommodations can be made between amicable neighbors, but honestly such accommodations are, well, niceties and not required of anyone.

That said, if the condo complex has a no-smoking rule, you can appeal to management. Many nicer placers do have a rule about smoking on the balcony. Check that out and act accordingly.

If the guy is creepy (maybe he is, maybe he isn't, it's hard to tell from this thread alone) don't do this "in house." Call the management company. It's their job to arbitrate these things.