Ladies would you date someone younger, guys would you date older? how much?

At my age of 30, I need to date younger from a biological standpoint.

I want children and a family. It's cold, but the older a lady gets the higher the chances of problems not only for the child but for her as well.

I once made the mistake of saying something very similar to this outloud to a group of women in their 30s who were berating me and my friends as to why we only dated women in their 20s.

[Zips up flame suit] Hope you get a more positive reaction than I did...

I hope neither of you forget that aging men presents problems when it comes to having healthy children too.

If you are a guy over 40, I don't think you have any more business bringing a kid into the world as a woman over 40.

Most of those guys aren't really interested in having a family anyway... that's just the line they pitch to younger women so that they will agree to date them.

Probably gets plenty of traction when doing OLD. "oh, why not give the old guy a shot, he's more commitment minded"... lol. NOT!

... but you still have some time PaperCrane. You are only 30. Just wait till you are close to 40 though. You'll join the millions of men hitting their bioclock as well. I remember those days... all the frantic 39+ year ol guys trying desperately to get with a younger woman (me) to start a family with. It was kind of repulsive. I could only ask them why they weren't so frantic when they were 30 or younger... when most people pair up to start families. *shrug*

Edited by RedRobin

I want children and a family. It's cold, but the older a lady gets the higher the chances of problems not only for the child but for her as well.

I once made the mistake of saying something very similar to this outloud to a group of women in their 30s who were berating me and my friends as to why we only dated women in their 20s.

[Zips up flame suit] Hope you get a more positive reaction than I did...

Although it is easier for people to have children at younger ages. These days having a kid in your 30s is common and possible, and not problematic too. But if let's say you want 5 kids, well you should date younger. If you want 1-2, then you shouldn't let age be a factor until the woman is in her mid 30s.

But it also it depends on how you envision that stage of your life to play out. People are getting married later these days, so there is "less life to experience" if you will. So getting married and having kids quickly makes sense. You do not also have to settle into adulthood. When people married at younger ages, they needed more time to become established in their careers, adulthood and finances.

• Like 1

The way i always thought about it was that women wanted older men because of the maturity thing and didnt really like younger as much. I have definitely heard before too, mainly from women, that its the men that want the younger women than them. Anyway, I'm a guy and would date older women. I'm 23 and dating a 26 year old woman. I definitely have a range when it comes to ages. I would say i would prefer my partner to be no more than 5 or 6 years older or younger than me. And i might be OK going outside that range, depends on the person though.

• Author

Good points, It is true that with age there are high chances of problems with pregnancy, however, i've met plenty of people who have children really late in their relationship 30's even early/mid 40s with no issues but i guess that does depend on the person and their genes as well. It is very common to get your things together first, career, house, etc.. before committing to children. Even if you meet at a young age, all these scenarios take time and patience, so by the time your done, the clock is also ticking and we may may not be as young as we once were.

I think the age norm has always been for men date young, and for women date older. Heck back in the days it was really normal for a 15-16 year old to marry a 30 something....which is insane to me.

Last year a guy 11 years younger hit on me (msg me to for a coffee). I think he didn't know my age. otherwise don't think he will ask. but I have no feeling for him

Before I met my wife I had a relationship with a woman who was 48. I was 28. She was very attractive and looked late 30s to very early 40s.. I hadn't ever 'dated' much older women before so it wasn't something that I went out looking for.

I had known her for a year or two as we were both in Dublin and she was doing a PHD there. She was one of the most interesting people I'd ever met. And her sense of humour was pretty much exactly like mine. I'm not sure when it turned to an attraction, and it surprised her as much as it did me. It was sexual at first. But we would lay there for hours talking and talking, about anything and everything. She became my best friend and someone I loved very much (I don't think it was that crazy in love feeling but I loved her). After around a year we would still have sex but the focus of our relationship became less and less sexual. I just wanted to be in her company and vice versa and when I wasn't I missed her. She was the easiest person to talk to I'd ever known and we genuinely just really enjoyed eachother.

It went on for almost 2 years and then she had to go back home (she was originally from Georgia US) .. We continued to communicate via the phone for some time but of course we grew apart, both met other people.. I haven't spoken to her in a very long time now. But I think of her very often. Not in a longing I ache for you and I want you way, but just in a 'I truly miss my friend' way. When I'm having problems with my personal life or if I just have something I'm curious about or want to talk about, I always think of her, because she was always so passionate about everything too. She told me once that truly loving somebody is wanting that person to be happy no matter what. So I hope that she is happy in every way.

Well that was my experience with an older woman :D

• Like 5

I'm 28, and I'm open to older and younger guys. I dont really deal with guys my own age, as they are mostly married. I guess I'd date down to 19,20 years old. Eighteen years old? I dont think I'd want to go to his high school graduation. Funny, as I was dating someone over 20, and he came to my high school graduation. :laugh: Current fwb is 24 and thought I was about 22.Nope. :)

I forgot to mention ^^ that in my 'older woman' experience, I never once thought of her age. She was just someone I enjoyed being with who enjoyed being with me, that I laughed for hours with and talked about everything with and had some great sex. When you get to that point with somebody I don't think you ever think of the age unless there are aspects that are truly bothering you like immaturity or embarressment. In my experience, if you truly enjoy somebody for who they are, it really doesn't matter.

• Like 1

in my younger days I wasn't too picky, any female that gave of heat was good enough.

Now I'm more selective. Any female that will have me and is in my preferred dating age range. (18 - 80)

• Like 2
in my younger days I wasn't too picky, any female that gave of heat was good enough.

Now I'm more selective. Any female that will have me and is in my preferred dating age range. (18 - 80)

Lmao.. That's awesome.

Seriously? :D:laugh::eek::lmao:

but...what if you want children but the woman is too old to have children?

Usually sex is the goal in of itself.

Usually sex is the goal in of itself.

alright...we have different definition of dating........I don't think you should call that dating though. we are talking about dating here, not hookup or ONS

Edited by loveflower
alright...we have different definition of dating........I don't think you should call that dating though. we are talking about dating here, not hookup or ONS

Not everyone who dates (including long term couples) is looking for a spouse. Most people at some point in their lives will be dating for fun only and that fun includes sex.

adopt. There is no guarantee that the younger one will be able to have kids either. It's more important that you find someone who is a strong partner.

mystikmind2005

For me, it depends on the individual.

As a rule, i prefer women within five years of my own age, but i never rule anything out beyond that depending on the individual person and circumstances.

I am 43, and i have dated women in their fifties, and i find they are very easy to connect with on an emotional level, and they are often far more invested in making the relationship work i find.

presently i am 'attempting' to date a women who is 30 - she is interesting to me for other reasons, not her age.

So i think the moral of the story is that we all have our basic rules on age, but most people i think will break those rules for someone special - hopefully not just based on looks - I'm talking to you guys especially, chasing after those younger women! lol