Correct Protocol for When Boss Says "Thank You" in an Email

If you feel it's not appropriate to say "you're welcome", then say "I appreciate your acknowledgement." Say something!

How about "no probs chief."? That might stop the thank yous. ;)

• Like 1

I find it strange that some people only communicate by email to be honest.

I work for an IT company and we use email only for reports and details that need to be in writing for written agreements and for reference purposes.

My MD doesn't see email as a form of 'communication'.

The only time I send that one bulk mail detailing what I have done is when my boss is in a meeting or working from home and needs an update but we can't call each other.

I do know one Director who will always send a thank you when someone continually mails him and he only does it to show just how many mails that person sends him. He has asked him to 'speak' before now several times but the guy just doesn't get it.

Funnily enough the guy is the only person from our office who you will see with his head in his phone a lot of the time - his personal phone.

I'm glad some real communication is starting for you KG! :)

GorillaTheater
Why would that bother you? Just curious. If it does, why would you say "thank you" in the first place? do you not mean it?

I don't know about Diezel, but yes, I thank people in my emails; yes, I mean it; but no, I'm already getting 100 emails a day and don't really want any more.

• Like 3
  • Author
I find it strange that some people only communicate by email to be honest.

I work for an IT company and we use email only for reports and details that need to be in writing for written agreements and for reference purposes.

My MD doesn't see email as a form of 'communication'.

The only time I send that one bulk mail detailing what I have done is when my boss is in a meeting or working from home and needs an update but we can't call each other.

I do know one Director who will always send a thank you when someone continually mails him and he only does it to show just how many mails that person sends him. He has asked him to 'speak' before now several times but the guy just doesn't get it.

Funnily enough the guy is the only person from our office who you will see with his head in his phone a lot of the time - his personal phone.

I'm glad some real communication is starting for you KG! :)

Thanks Gemma! Funny thing is we always talk and goof around and stuff all the time - it's a super fun office - but when it comes to work, since I started thanking him in person... he actually told me he prefers the email to let him know when a task is done...so he has a record that it was completed and when.

For example, when I first started letting him know verbally that I completed a task...he would say "great, thanks. If you could shoot me an email letting me know, that would be great."

So there ya go.... the guy prefers emails...what can I say? LOL

Edited by katiegrl
I don't know about Diezel, but yes, I thank people in my emails; yes, I mean it; but no, I'm already getting 100 emails a day and don't really want any more.

Hey GT! I thank people, mean it, get tons of email every day but most is tripe. Someone saying something kind to me is nice. Someone acknowledging an email is essential! One thing that irks me more than most is to say something to someone through some avenue and have it ignored.

I went through this recently, I sent a fairly important email and it was not acknowledged in any way. I guess the recipient thought no big deal, it's an email. I can't afford the time to send a reply saying "acknowledged." Meanwhile I don't even know they got it, everything else aside. The funny part is they ask for acknowledgement of every email they send because it's just part of their protocol. Meanwhile the reverse is not.

I guess it's in the eye of the beholder and I appreciate your position. I feel it's good etiquette to say something no matter what (unless it's really junk, then I can't get unsubscribed fast enough!)

Ken

• Like 1
Thanks Gemma! Funny thing is we always talk and goof around and stuff all the time - it's a super fun office - but when it comes to work, since I started thanking him in person... he actually told me he prefers the email to let him know when a task is done...so he has a record that it was completed and when.

For example, when I first started letting him know verbally that I completed a task...he would say "great, thanks. If you could shoot me an email letting me know, that would be great."

So there ya go.... the guy prefers emails...what can I say? LOL

:laugh: Typical!

At least it gave you the opportunity to ask him the question your thread was about though.

So, what did he say when you asked whether he wants a 'You're welcome' in reply to his 'Thank you'?

• Author
:laugh: Typical!

At least it gave you the opportunity to ask him the question your thread was about though.

So, what did he say when you asked whether he wants a 'You're welcome' in reply to his 'Thank you'?

I didn't. Based on his response (in telling me he prefers emails), his tone when he said it, it was pretty clear he is simply thanking me to *acknowledge* I finished the task. Nothing more, nothing less.

He doesn't need a formal "you're welcome" each time....he gets enough emails and would only drive him nuts. :)

Edited by katiegrl
I didn't. Based on his response (in telling me he prefers emails), his tone when he said it, it was pretty clear he is simply thanking me to *acknowledge* I finished the task. Nothing more, nothing less.

He doesn't need a formal "you're welcome" each time....he gets enough emails and would only drive him nuts. :)

This is funny and I totally agree. I had a subordinate who would always say, "You're welcome!" or "Any time, boss!" or "I'm here for ya!" or some other enthusiastic reply to my thank you emails. Now, I would ALWAYS be sure to thank him. I wanted to let him know that 1) I received his email/completed work; and 2) I appreciated his effort. But at some point, there MUST be an END to the back and forth on emails. You can't always be Last Word Joe. And with the hundreds of emails one can get in a day, it's just a nuisance.

It's kind of entertaining the different opinions here though.

• Like 1

I wouldn't respond and dont expect others to when i send a thank you,it's usually the end of it.

"Done"

"Thanks"

The end, we are even.

• Like 1

I don't think many companies or depts/bosses have a "protocol" for this kind of thing in the first place...and any that do have such a rigid policy are probably stuck-up places where I wouldn't want to work at. I don't think many people care or are sensitive about this stuff. We're all here to do our jobs. It just seems like common sense to not clutter up your boss's (or any other coworker's) inbox with a "you're welcome" email. I usually just spend 2 seconds reading the email and then click away and return to whatever it is I was doing.

In a professional setting, good manners matter of course, but it's best to balance that out with efficiency, courtesy and respect for your and others' time. People are busy. It's more considerate to not respond to the email at all (unless you have new information or an update or something to report) because that's saves both your time and the recipient's time.

Also, don't be bothered if your boss or other associate sometimes doesn't say "thank you" at all. That happens a lot too; it's nothing personal and it means nothing. He probably just forgot or was busy/preoccupied with something else or is in a meeting or something. Just assume that if he didn't respond within a reasonable period of time, he's probably OK with whatever you did.

On the flip side, don't take it personal if you email "thanks" to someone and he/she doesn't respond.

All of the above also applies to IM convos. I usually just close out the chat box when the conversation's over.

In general, don't overthink this stuff.

I don't think a "you're welcome" email is necessary. I rarely do it, and never expected it from anyone else. (And I'm speaking from the perspective of a busy attorney.) A "you're welcome" email is just more noise and nonsense in my inbox that I have to delete. I already know. No need to say it.

Exactly.

Edited by GravityMan
  • Like 2