Aromantic, kids, self-sacrifice, and the borderline...

• Author

Thanks again to everyone who replied. It gave me many things to think about.

I tried one last time to have an honest conversation with my wife, but it went into crazyland again. I recorded it this time so that I could show my therapist and asked what I'm doing wrong or could do better. My therapist said I should just stop trying. The lingo that best describes what it's like talking to her is "narc-speak" or "word salad", which I've already discussed in this thread. I did a good job this time not getting sucked into the spiral though.

The end result is that I paid a hefty retainer to a great attorney this morning. It may end up being more money than I need to spend, but I don't know what I'll be up against. I'm exhausted and need this to end. My main goal right now is to make sure my kids stay in the same school district, and in town if possible so that it's easier for them to see their friends. That would be a big benefit for them since we currently live miles away. I have a pretty good relationship with each of them and will do my best to make it less painful for them.

On the other hand, I'm the sole income. Even though I make a decent salary I can't afford 2 households. That means it's pretty much up to my STBX on what the outcome will be.

In hindsight, I've learned that pretty much everything I've tried and done has been a waste of time. I should have divorced long before now. I thought I could somehow "fix" me and save the marriage, but it was never the actual problem. It's amazing how much one person was able to screw up my mind. My therapist admitted that once I'm divorced there's a good chance I won't need therapy anymore... at least not to the same extent, lol.

• Like 2
bluefeather

I'm sure it is and will be trying, but I am happy to hear this. I'm happy for the peace you may at last come to.