Is it time to do away with the concept of Infidelity/cheating?

Central,

By definition, it is still adultery, but not infidelity if everyone knows and approves.

I fail to see the logic in that ^^^

infidelity - from the Latin = not faithful - and I don't see a value judgement there either, just a definition.

"infidelity

ɪnfɪˈdɛlɪti/Submit

noun

the action or state of being unfaithful to a spouse or other sexual partner.

"her infidelity continued after her marriage"

synonyms: unfaithfulness, adultery, unchastity, cuckoldry, extramarital relations, extramarital sex; More

disbelief in a particular religion, especially Christianity."

Now if you (or anyone else) wants to redefine these words and can find someone else who agrees, then that's OK by me.

Edited by Arieswoman
Central,

I fail to see the logic in that ^^^

infidelity - from the Latin = not faithful - and I don't see a value judgement there either, just a definition.

"infidelity

ɪnfɪˈdɛlɪti/Submit

noun

the action or state of being unfaithful to a spouse or other sexual partner.

"her infidelity continued after her marriage"

synonyms: unfaithfulness, adultery, unchastity, cuckoldry, extramarital relations, extramarital sex; More

disbelief in a particular religion, especially Christianity."

Now if you (or anyone else) wants to redefine these words and can find someone else who agrees, then that's OK by me.

It looks like you used a different dictionary. The one I looked up says "Infidelity is a violation ..."

To me that's a value judgment. To me, word usage and definitions matter and hold nuance. I feel that people today often use language poorly, which leads to words used as synonyms and the loss of nuance. But, this is a detail. What really matters is the distinction between couples who agree to an arrangement, and people who pursue their selfish goals without the agreement of a partner who has different expectations.

Oh Central I really don't want to get into convoluted arguments about semantics.:rolleyes:

The one I looked up says "Infidelity is a violation ..."

A violation of what exactly? - you've given half a sentence there :confused:

To be pedantic - adultery is always infidelity but infidelity is not always adultery. This is because the criteria for the activity being classed as adultery is that one of the persons is married (but not to the person they are having the sexual activity with)

What really matters is the distinction between couples who agree to an arrangement, and people who pursue their selfish goals without the agreement of a partner who has different expectations.

I think that's what I said in my last post wasn't it ?

• Author

Hi Autumnnight, I 'm sorry if you have misunderstood what I am trying to say. My intention is not and never has been to denigrate anyone's views or beliefs. I respect everyone's right to have their own beliefs and I have said somewhere that if someone believed in something then that becomes true for that person. The power of belief is very very potent and miracles have happened for people who believed in something.

I guess this topic is fraught with the danger of stepping on someone's toes or hurting someone's feelings. I guess I'll lay off it henceforth. In concluding I will say that I come from a country where there are a number of different religions and Christians are in a minority. I have, due to my profession, had to coexist with people of different faiths and I have always respected their beliefs and participated in their form of worship. I guess with that kind of a background I could not have been anything but tolerant and accepting of others beliefs. I hope I have cleared my position and if I have hurt your feelings or those of any one else then I am truly sorry. Warm wishes to all.