For the guys/men who don't want to get married

toolforgrowth

Got married once. Never again. Been there, done that. I lost virtually everything in the divorce and she's the one who cheated.

Marriage is far too dangerous an institution for me to bet my assets and livelihood a second time. I will die filing single on my tax returns.

I'm far happier being unmarried anyway.

• Author
Got married once. Never again. Been there, done that. I lost virtually everything in the divorce and she's the one who cheated.

Marriage is far too dangerous an institution for me to bet my assets and livelihood a second time. I will die filing single on my tax returns.

I'm far happier being unmarried anyway.

But if the woman was wealthier you'd gain in the divorce. That's the point of my question. :)

toolforgrowth
But if the woman was wealthier you'd gain in the divorce. That's the point of my question. :)

Not necessarily. It depends on the state in which you live.

97% of all alimony cases are paid by men.

The New Art of Alimony - WSJ

That statistic alone should frighten any man considering marriage today.

ETA: Not only that, what kind of person would I be if I took money from her that I did nothing to earn? Why would I do to another human being what was done to me?

I don't need to legally extort money from another human to survive.

Edited by toolforgrowth
  • Like 1
I agree 100% ^^^^

I know a girl who is a solicitor. She's in work at 8.00.am each morning and not back until 7.00.pm

Her husband who is a joiner(carpenter) get the kids their breakfast, and takes them to school. He picks them up from school later that day and gives them a meal. Then he baths them and gets them ready for bed. When she gets back she reads them a story and they go to bed.

They have a big house, 2 cars, 2 holidays abroad a year, gardener, cleaner etc etc.

Whatever floats your boat I suppose :rolleyes:

Works for them. :)

i would not want to be the husband in this scenario

toolforgrowth
Sure, but how many women end up marrying a guy that makes significantly less than they do? I can't even think of one example from the people I know personally.

Neither can I. A common requirement is that men make more than them. Considering the alimony statistics, it's easy to figure out why.

• Author
Sure, but how many women end up marrying a guy that makes significantly less than they do? I can't even think of one example from the people I know personally.

I do know a few couples where the woman earns more or equal.

I'd say a problem with some of these situations is that if the wife asks the H do something remotely to what he perceives as a female task, he becomes insecure and says it's because she makes more money than him.

Because men are so used to being in positions of power and money gives you power to a certain degree, when a woman earns more than them, men (not all) feel they are loosing that power and their ego's can't handle it. It creates some insecurity.

Infact one of my Aunts had a BF that she used to give money to buy drinks and pay for things when we were out. When they broke up she confessed this and said it was to make him feel like a man/boost him. All along we thought he was so generous, even though he annoyed us, but he was really a horrible man. Nothing to do with not having money .

Another couple I know of..The wife gives her H cash to spend on the family while out or on vacation, so the kids don't see her pay for everything.

Umm. I did.

Now sigifinicantly less we are both in the six figures. But when we married there was almost a 100K difference.