Losing my job soon...

• Author
There is nothing else you are interested in .... ? If thats really true then you have bigger problems then your job. But the thing is I really don't believe it to be true. Every one has passions and interests. What do you do in your spare time .... do you read ? Do you write ? Do you play sport ? Do you enjoy adventuring in the outdoors ? Do you like to cook ? Do you enjoy music ? Do you enjoy computers and IT ?

What do you do with the 16 hours of the day you are not at work and your weekends other then sleep ?

I play video games, I read comic books, I make a few videos for my YouTube channel, and I spend the rest of my time browsing around the Internet.

I'd say I like writing, and after several years of doing it from grade school to high school to college, I feel I'm fairly skilled at it, but I don't know how to translate that to a job, especially one I could get without "3-5 years of professional experience".

Back when I was taking classes at community college for five years, I shifted around several different IT-related majors, because I DO like computers, but what I discovered in my time there was that I simply didn't have the affinity for doing anything worthwhile with them. I tried programming, network administration, engineering, even coding/ web design, but I just never felt like I was grasping any of those things well enough.

Believe me, I already knew the "yeah but" was coming. Besides nursing you can pick any trade job:

electrician (get in a union, it's an excellent job)

roofer

home construction

pour concrete

road construction

auto mechanic

diesel mechanic

welder

plumber

heating and cooling

Yeah but, I get it. You're apathetic and immature. Sounds like you're going to be broke and homeless or you'll move in with mom. You'll keep working in retail or a restaurant. I'm guessing that getting into a gym and putting some work into your body isn't on the table either. Women certainly aren't going to respect you. Maybe you'll get tired of it around age 40 and do something about it. Maybe.

• Author
Believe me, I already knew the "yeah but" was coming. Besides nursing you can pick any trade job:

electrician (get in a union, it's an excellent job)

roofer

home construction

pour concrete

road construction

auto mechanic

diesel mechanic

welder

plumber

heating and cooling

Yeah but, I get it. You're apathetic and immature. Sounds like you're going to be broke and homeless or you'll move in with mom. You'll keep working in retail or a restaurant. I'm guessing that getting into a gym and putting some work into your body isn't on the table either. Women certainly aren't going to respect you. Maybe you'll get tired of it around age 40 and do something about it. Maybe.

That's not the point, though. The point is that I'm just not good at anything, and I can't really imagine anything I can do that I could have a successful, consistent career in. That's not coming from a place of "laziness", or whatever you want to call it. I'm not "too lazy" to get a job. It's not a case of "Eh, I don't feel like doing that". It's a case of not knowing what the hell I can do with myself to earn a proper living. I'm practically useless, worthless.

Believe me, there's no one more frustrated with me than I am with myself for being so inept and untalented. I hate that. I hate myself for it. But what can I do? Even with a formal education in a certain area, that doesn't mean I'll have a knack for it in real world application. I can get all the "training" I want to do whatever, but that doesn't mean I'll be any good at it when the time comes to actually do it, and if I'm not good at it, then I'm screwed anyway.

Justanaverageguy

So basically like PogoStick said another - "Yeah but ....". That is entirely the point.

That's not the point, though. *The point is that I'm just not good at anything, and I can't really imagine anything I can do that I could have a successful, consistent career in. That's not coming from a place of "laziness", or whatever you want to call it. I'm not "too lazy" to get a job. It's not a case of "Eh, I don't feel like doing that". It's a case of not knowing what the hell I can do with myself to earn a proper living. I'm practically useless, worthless.

Believe me, there's no one more frustrated with me than I am with myself for being so inept and untalented. I hate that. I hate myself for it. But what can I do? Even with a formal education in a certain area, that doesn't mean I'll have a knack for it in real world application. I can get all the "training" I want to do whatever, but that doesn't mean I'll be any good at it when the time comes to actually do it, and if I'm not good at it, then I'm screwed anyway.

*Neither is anybody else, until they work on it for long enough to become good at it.

• Author
So basically like PogoStick said another - "Yeah but ....". That is entirely the point.

How so? How is my stance invalid in any way? I understand there are a lot of jobs out there. I have no real affinities for anything that I can think of, and evidently, I'm too stupid to even figure out what skills I do have, what I do have an affinity for, and to understand how to apply them in such a way that I could find a job using those skills and affinities.

Again, it's not about being lazy, it's not about not wanting to do the work. I'm just not smart enough. I genuinely don't know what to do with myself. That's not an "excuse". It's not like I'm feigning ignorance. I literally just don't know what to do with myself.

*Neither is anybody else, until they work on it for long enough to become good at it.

Obviously, but like I said, getting an education on something doesn't make you good at it, alone. You have to pick up on it, you have to develop a knack for it, and you have to become good at it, otherwise no one will hire you anyway. As I've been saying, there's not a whole lot I can actually imagine myself performing well at, and the things I might, I've already been trying to find a job in, with no success.