So I went to ComicCon

It's interesting, you need to find a balance I think. You don't need to share every interest with each other, but I think it's important to have some.

Last couple of girls I dated weren't into the same things, both were avid readers which was a really nice thing to share.

One was into the same television and movies as I was, as well as history so we had that in common.

The other had a similar taste in music and food, and classic Simpsons episodes.

They both were different to each other, and different to me. One was into photography and journalism, the other was very athletic and played a number of sports. Those are things I don't follow much, but we had enough in common despite those differences that things worked really well.

It also helps that we were open to try new things. I would have gone and watched a women's soccer match, or gone to an art gallery, they would have come with me to a comic con or read my drafts for writing projects etc.

I've heard people say it's best not to have too much in common with a partner, because it's easy to get overwhelmed that way.

well, you got to have some common ground i think and compatible interests :) something i always try to look for, makes it easier to start chatting too.

NinjaTurtlesAreCool

Hey, this is along the same lines as a thread I started here. :)

I know exactly what you mean and how you feel on this. I've no idea how old you are but I'm 35 and I've found that there simply aren't the women around my age that are single and into sci-fi, comics, etc. But with teens and women in their early twenties, there seems to be loads so if you're around that age, you have it made! It should just be a case of striking up conversations and going from there. Even better if they're local to you! :D

- G

Thanks for agreeing with me...but

You contradict yourself, and make little sense.

What...?

This is daft, what, so everyone who likes the same things as me AUTOMATICALLY is interesting as a potential partner...Lordy, if only life was that simple!

Not for the long game, trust me, people doing things "for their partner" soon show their disinterest.

I hate the national sport in Australia, Footy.

I loath it with a passion, an excuse for unintelligent drug-using misogynists to get paid far too much because they can kinda kick a ball...a bit.

I CANNOT go out with someone who insists on watching this mind-numbing exercise in futility, watch them lose their temper, let their mood be affected by some events over which they have no control whatsoever. Doesn't matter how loud they scream at the TV, their team (like, they own it or something), wins or loses based solely on how much over the salary cap the teams are.

Sorry, I'll get off this soap box now.

:D

Sounds like me, but for a different type of footy.

I've always wanted to go to comiccon, but it never happens :(

It would be pretty cool to see Jason Momoa though.

I'd dress up as Aela the Huntress!

• Author
:D

Sounds like me, but for a different type of footy.

At least your "football" involves the use of a foot, and a ball, meeting together with some vestige of skill.

"Footy" on the other hand, is a shamble of grown, skilled, professional athletes fumbling around trying to grab an ovoid call that bounces unpredictably in all directions, it would be hilarious if they weren't paid so much!

ascendotum
The solution is simple:

Google:Nude Ballet

I can do theatre but ballet nuh, unless it was circus de soleil ballet or burlesque/stripper ballet and she was paying for the tickets as well.

At least your "football" involves the use of a foot, and a ball, meeting together with some vestige of skill.

"Footy" on the other hand, is a shamble of grown, skilled, professional athletes fumbling around trying to grab an ovoid call that bounces unpredictably in all directions, it would be hilarious if they weren't paid so much!

True. However I like rugby league a lot too though (not originally Victorian) :D

I get your point though and it isn't inaccurate :laugh:

I am so not a nerd but I have always wanted to go to this. Mostly because I love love love San Diego. I hope to move there soon.

San Diego is a beautiful city. Would rather shoot myself in the face than live there though. Make sure it's something you really want before you do it. Love the city itself but can't stand the people.

I used to go to SD from LA almost every other weekend for like two years. A lot of trashy people. I'd elaborate but I'm not in the mood to get bashed (and I am not referring to the illegals when I say "trashy people").

Edited by S_A
San Diego is a beautiful city. Would rather shoot myself in the face than live there though. Make sure it's something you really want before you do it. Love the city itself but can't stand the people.

I used to go to SD from LA almost every other weekend for like two years. A lot of trashy people. I'd elaborate but I'm not in the mood to get bashed (and I am not referring to the illegals when I say "trashy people").

Is it hipsters? It's okay to say hipsters.

I will PM you.

Edit: Apparently, I can't.

Well, I'd like to hear what you think about SD.

I lived in San Diego for a dozen years; it is not an easy place to live due to the costs of living.

I prefer visiting now.

• Like 1

This is obviously one of the 'different strokes for different folks' thing, but having at least SOME shared interests is one of the things that I absolutely need in a partner. I honestly can't imagine having a LTR without it - I really enjoy the evenings that we spend at home just gaming together and watching shows together. We also do couple-y stuff together, of course, but you can't go out on dates or have sex ALL the time. IMO it's really, really bloody awesome to be able to do 'buddy' stuff with your partner in addition to 'couple' stuff.

But, as others have said, the more requirements you have, the narrower your pool of mates. I'm probably lucky in that my hobbies are rather male-dominated, so it isn't terribly hard to find a guy with shared interests, but the other way round would be a bit more difficult. You have to decide what's really important to you and what isn't, obviously. If you have a laundry list of requirements like 'shares my interests, at least a DD cup, at most 120 lbs, nice face, long hair, wears high heels all the time, goes dutch on all dates, loves anal' etc etc, then you'll need to decide what really matters and what doesn't for you. Perhaps you haven't found someone with shared interests because you just haven't prioritized it.

Edit: I'm not saying you have that list (I have no idea what you do/don't like, besides comicon :)), just a compilation of the stuff I've heard various guys say they needed.

Edited by Elswyth