Got my first tattoo, but how do I care for it as it heals?

still_an_Angel

My daughter was 3 when I had my big tatt on my chest. I told her that she needs to help me look after it as one of the leaves actually represents her and I will be really sad if it gets damaged. Well, had a little helper after that talk ;)

BTW, with this one, I was given different instructions on after care, I was told to use this antiseptic cream (I'm not in the US so don't know the equivalent there) and to keep it covered day and night with cling wrap for the first 2 weeks. I found this odd as I had been given different instructions with my other tatts. I asked the tatt artist and he said this is to protect the colours as it heals (mine is pretty colourful). I took his advise and its been years now but the colours are still vibrant.

You're right...ahem..I don't know what it is.. :)

Looks good though!

I have no tats but lots of my work colleagues do and yes, the cream that Jay said used lightly and cling film for 2 weeks. That is what one of the girls at work is doing right now round her tummy.

She rustles just a little bit when she walks.. :laugh:

Clingfilm for as long as you can!! I took to wearing my football shirt under my actual shirt cause its kinda silky and didn't rub my pec through the clingfilm or make the Clingfilm bunch up!

• Author

My artist specifically told me to NOT re-wrap it after the initial trip home.

Why do some people say wrap it again, but he insist on not doing that?

Also, does hair grow back in the spot of a tattoo? I mean... right now I have half of my chest shaved and I'm not sure if I should shave the other half to match or just leave it.

My artist specifically told me to NOT re-wrap it after the initial trip home.

Why do some people say wrap it again, but he insist on not doing that?

Also, does hair grow back in the spot of a tattoo? I mean... right now I have half of my chest shaved and I'm not sure if I should shave the other half to match or just leave it.

Well it's on your chest. I'm not sure how you would wrap it, I guess go around your whole torso? It's a not a big deal, you can wrap it. I've done to keep from rubbing against my shirt. like I told you the most the swelling and irritation will go down after a couple of days. Don't worry too much about it.

And yes the hair grows back over the tattoo.

• Like 1
I did that but shes got those very quick little feetsies.

As far as what it is, if people want to see it I can take a picture, but its impossible to describe. You'll either know what it is by sight, or you'll think "what the hell is that"

Well now I'm curious. Please post a picture. :D