Sam Harris Knows God

• Author
Derogatory? How so? Religion does use fear to control people. That's a fact. This priest admits it.

And my mentioning all the religious radical groups like ISIS who murder people in the name of religion is also a fact, and isn't derogatory.

If you've ever read the Godspell's you'd see they contradict each other. The world is a fascinating place and the fact that you and I are communicating right now is incredible. In order to cope with what we know thru science and experience humanity needs to start shifting from a free-market society to a different one. Not Communism. Perhaps a spiritual one that is free from greed, jealousy and want. If that doesn't happen we will kill ourselves off. That's my guess.

endlessabyss
I agree.

Here is the sad thing about God. I wish there was one. Just like I wish my father was a daddy and not a Narcissistic cruel man who never loved me. No father in Heaven no father on Earth.

...however, my mother loves me very much. So if I were to think I didn't believe in God because of my "daddy issues" that couldn't be true because the one who gave birth to me, my creator, was loving.

It doesn't make sense for there to be a God and the Bible was written by many different men. It's obscure and scary.

Very telling.

Thanks for this little tid bit.

endlessabyss
Derogatory? How so? Religion does use fear to control people. That's a fact. This priest admits it.

And my mentioning all the religious radical groups like ISIS who murder people in the name of religion is also a fact, and isn't derogatory.

Your bias is almost as bad as the religious fanatic.

Most religious people don't do the things you claim religion pushes people to do. Yes, some Muslim extremist might lop some heads off, and you generalize that and make some fallacious argument that all religions/religious people engage in this type of behavior.

If all religion was removed from the planet do you honestly think we would all live and peace and harmony? haha. A naïve person like yourself probably would, but that just isn't reality. Humans, at heart, are greedy, power hungry individuals. This exists autonomously of religion.

Religion doesn't coerce people; people coerce people. Religion has been used as tool to do that it some cases, but it's people who use it as an instrument to do so. Haven't we went over all this before?

How is it that Will Durant, the greatest historian of the world, an agnostic man, said religion has done way more good than bad?

Your mantra is out of wack and too extreme. You also play victim too much.

"Oh, I'm an atheist, whoa, I'm discriminated against", just like a good liberal. No one cares that you're an atheist.

Here, read this as well. I've posted this before, but you probably looked over it, or ignored it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_Christians_in_the_Soviet_Union

Every group of people has done wrong, just not religious people.

Religion is going nowhere, because it is a form of spirituality. The humanoid is a spiritual creature, it is part of the human make-up, it's what connects us to God.

• Like 2
Your bias is almost as bad as the religious fanatic.

Most religious people don't do the things you claim religion pushes people to do. Yes, some Muslim extremist might lop some heads off, and you generalize that and make some fallacious argument that all religions/religious people engage in this type of behavior.

If all religion was removed from the planet do you honestly think we would all live and peace and harmony? haha. A naïve person like yourself probably would, but that just isn't reality. Humans, at heart, are greedy, power hungry individuals. This exists autonomously of religion.

Religion doesn't coerce people; people coerce people. Religion has been used as tool to do that it some cases, but it's people who use it as an instrument to do so. Haven't we went over all this before?

How is it that Will Durant, the greatest historian of the world, an agnostic man, said religion has done way more good than bad?

Your mantra is out of wack and too extreme. You also play victim too much.

"Oh, I'm an atheist, whoa, I'm discriminated against", just like a good liberal. No one cares that you're an atheist.

Here, read this as well. I've posted this before, but you probably looked over it, or ignored it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_Christians_in_the_Soviet_Union

Every group of people has done wrong, just not religious people.

Religion is going nowhere, because it is a form of spirituality. The humanoid is a spiritual creature, it is part of the human make-up, it's what connects us to God.

Ah, but Atheists don't get persecuted for killing people. Religious radical groups kill people. That can't be debated because it's true.

I did read your link. It describes how the Soviet Union is trying to establish a more Atheistic culture there with anti-religious campaigns. While I may support anti-religious atheistic propaganda, I don't support anyone killing another person in the name of Atheism or support anyone killing another person in the name of religion. So, I see your point and respect it because you at least made an effort to show the other side (of Atheism) that I wasn't aware of as an Atheist.

But Atheists are discriminated against. That's also not just my opinion. It's a fact.

Here, Sam Harris offers good arguments against Christianity. He calls Christianity a psychopathic attitude. I happen to agree with him. He says that Christianity is a total detachment from the well-being of human beings. Harris says in the video at one point, "Religion allows people to believe by the billions what only lunatics could believe on their own." https://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=mcafee&type=C011US0D20150521&p=sam+harris+destroys+christianity

endlessabyss
Ah, but Atheists don't get persecuted for killing people. Religious radical groups kill people. That can't be debated because it's true.

I did read your link. It describes how the Soviet Union is trying to establish a more Atheistic culture there with anti-religious campaigns. While I may support anti-religious atheistic propaganda, I don't support anyone killing another person in the name of Atheism or support anyone killing another person in the name of religion. So, I see your point and respect it because you at least made an effort to show the other side (of Atheism) that I wasn't aware of as an Atheist.

But Atheists are discriminated against. That's also not just my opinion. It's a fact.

Here, Sam Harris offers good arguments against Christianity. He calls Christianity a psychopathic attitude. I happen to agree with him. He says that Christianity is a total detachment from the well-being of human beings. Harris says in the video at one point, "Religion allows people to believe by the billions what only lunatics could believe on their own." https://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=mcafee&type=C011US0D20150521&p=sam+harris+destroys+christianity

We can just agree to disagree.

I'm not impressed with Sam Harris, especially after he got his butt handed of to him by William Craig in dialogue, but that's a whole different story.

Sometimes I think your tone towards people with a different set of beliefs is very demeaning and condescending, which I don't particularly care for.

I just had to correct the error in your thinking, and show you the other sign of the coin.

We can just agree to disagree.

I'm not impressed with Sam Harris, especially after he got his butt handed of to him by William Craig in dialogue, but that's a whole different story.

Sometimes I think your tone towards people with a different set of beliefs is very demeaning and condescending, which I don't particularly care for.

I just had to correct the error in your thinking, and show you the other sign of the coin.

I never said that I support anyone dying in the name of Atheism or in the name of religion. I'm 100% against it. I have never heard of that happening until you brought it up. But the Soviet Union doesn't represent all Atheists either.

So, where is the flaw in my thinking? What I said about Atheists not killing in the name of Atheism? That link you provided did prove my claim wrong that Atheists don't murder in the name of Atheism. So, I stand corrected.

But I still argue that religion has killed people for no good reason, and I even cited examples like the Boston Marathon Tsarneav brothers and ISIS. Killing in the name of religion goes back as far as the Crusades, and probably farther back than that. Why is that necessary? And why do religious people deny that it happens, or downplay it when it does? Not all people downplay it, but many do.

I agree with you that there are 2 sides to a coin/story/subject. So we can agree to disagree. My intention is not to come across demeaning or condescending with my tone when I post. But I do have very strong opinions on some subjects, like atheism and religion.

We can agree to disagree that's fine. Sam Harris isn't perfect and he probably did get his butt handed to him by William Craig (I don't know who that is). But does he know God? He knows that he doesn't believe in a religious God and he makes arguments to support that belief. I am still searching for Atheist speakers and writers whose views align with mine. I'm not sure that Sam Harris' Atheistic views completely align with my Atheistic views. But I do know that I will never return to religion. As a human created system, I don't like the way it brainwashes, controls, incites fear, punishment, and shame to people who question its imperfectness.

As the traditional concept of "god" gets more and more marginalized by science and secular progress, many people will employ a defense for god by claiming we're really talking about "pure consciousness", or "pure energy", or maybe just "the universe".

This is called pantheism. And yes, it's kind of silly to call these things "god". It's because people don't want to let go of "god".

Harris is correct.

• Like 1
No dissing my next husband! My handsome prince is perfect :cool:

What a small world!

My future husband is Reza Aslan, and I do believe he and Sam have had words.

This is going to make for an interesting double date, I must say.

In the course of stalking Reza, I ran across a quote or two of Sam Harris' that were pretty disturbing.

One, made mention of his preferring to banish religion rather than rape.

That bummed me out.

So, I can't really say I'm a fan but I really like your posts, so I hope you dont cancel our dinner for four.

• Like 3

There is also the possibility that we as humans just are not capable yet of understanding a creator or reason behind existence without religion as a crutch/easiest explanation because that's what's been in doctrinated into human beings brains/culture since we came into existence.

The "higher power" "God" belief is the only way we know how at this point. It's unable to be proven or disproven so it's attractive to those who want to believe in a purpose or larger meaning to things. None of us will ever find out and that's what makes it ridiculous to discuss. No one ever says "you know what, you made a good point, I can see where you're coming from believing in God or why you don't".

We can look at the stars and galaxies and discuss the same possibilities. The argument that there must be other life out there due to the sheer size and limitless space. But earth can also quite possibly be the lone life sustaining planet. Or neither of those. Life might not be what we define it as whatsoever.

Control what you can, understand a general moral value and code to live by, and do what makes you happy and/or do what needs to be done to provide for your loved ones. Everything else is meaningless and won't affect your life tomorrow in the slightest.

• Like 2
What a small world!

My future husband is Reza Aslan, and I do believe he and Sam have had words.

This is going to make for an interesting double date, I must say.

In the course of stalking Reza, I ran across a quote or two of Sam Harris' that were pretty disturbing.

One, made mention of his preferring to banish religion rather than rape.

That bummed me out.

So, I can't really say I'm a fan but I really like your posts, so I hope you dont cancel our dinner for four.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjyg-nmjNSk

Cancel it? Nah. I'm picking out my dress now. :bunny:

• Like 1