Roommate of mine never does anything...

I just figured I was going to have another roommate join us who had a more social drive. I do respect what he does, I just don't understand it.

Ask anyone though... a college degree will land you a successful life more than a music producer. I'm finished with school, he's 22 and almost finished. Why is he in school majoring for something he tells me he has no interest in but dedicates 60+ hours a week on his "hobby".

I say all of this because I've had other friends who've "tried to make it big" and landed flat on their faces.

I can understand that last part, but you're only 22. It's not your place to judge someone else for their lifestyle choices. And landing flat on your face isn't necessarily a bad thing at all, especially at your age. Success comes from failure.

I've known plenty of struggling people that keep at it and eventually make it. They might not be raking in millions, but being able to live a comfortable life doing what you love...art, music, acting...that's success for a lot of people. I know a guy that retired at 32 because he lives off $45,000/year. Not many could do that, but he is happy as a clam. Lives off the investments he made in his 20s and does whatever he wants. It's pretty admirable, actually. Not what others consider "success", but it is to him.

• Like 1
lollipopspot
You've clearly never had a bad roommate before. Most people would be perfectly content with a tidy, respectful roommate who paid their rent on time, regardless of whether that roommate socializes with them or not. You better hope you get so lucky with your next one.

When I had roommates I would have loved that - hole up in your room and leave the place to me.

Not what others consider "success", but it is to him.[/Quote]

OP - ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you ARE a good friend, you would understand that.

Should I just tell him that it's not a realistic goal?

No.

When someone takes their art seriously, they keep only positive, supportive people around them. They do not have time for people who tell them their goals are unrealistic or don't matter.

If you want to get to know him better, show interest in his music. Ask to listen to something.

• Like 1
  • Author
No.

When someone takes their art seriously, they keep only positive, supportive people around them. They do not have time for people who tell them their goals are unrealistic or don't matter.

If you want to get to know him better, show interest in his music. Ask to listen to something.

But overtime we invite him out to do ANYTHING, he turns us down. It's like he thinks he's better than us.

Don't say anything to discourage him because he may surprise you one day. One of my exes I hadn't seen in over a decade came to visit me and was either on his guitar or sitting at my table with his laptop writing orchestral music most of the time he was here because he had some lead on a way to make money that way. People into music, that's their wife, I'm telling you right now.

However, if someone he likes comes in concert, he might take you up on an invitation. You can remind him that "all things in moderation" and "all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy," but don't kill his creativity. It's fulfilling to him.

still_an_Angel

So he's not as social as you would like him to be, he takes his music very seriously and does nothing else apart from this. How is this a problem??

I've flatted with 4 other people for years and trust me, having a flatmate who does not pay bills, does not help with the cleaning, does not cooperate with noise control, etc is a problem. Not your one who is too dang quiet it annoys you.

Just let him be, if you feel life is passing him by, at least its not your life that is standing still. Live and let live, he sounds like a dream flatmate if you ask me.

hoping2heal
But overtime we invite him out to do ANYTHING, he turns us down. It's like he thinks he's better than us.

So, you have put the guy down left and right (despite describing him as respectful) and have gotten on your high horse about what he should be doing with his time and his life, as if you know best.

Now you've got the gall to claim "It's like he thinks he's better than us" when you have spent this entire thread parading as though YOU are better than him?

Oh whackamole:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Author
So, you have put the guy down left and right (despite describing him as respectful) and have gotten on your high horse about what he should be doing with his time and his life, as if you know best.

Now you've got the gall to claim "It's like he thinks he's better than us" when you have spent this entire thread parading as though YOU are better than him?

Oh whackamole:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I know I'm not better than him. I'm not saying that I am. But he should get it in his mind what a realistic goal is and what isn't. Having dreams is good... but why not just make it a hobby? Why waste energy on something that isn;t going to put food on the table?

Lois_Griffin
But he should get it in his mind what a realistic goal is and what isn't. Having dreams is good... but why not just make it a hobby?

I don't get it. Are you his father or legal guardian? Then I could see why you might feel you have a right to an opinion about HIS life.

Why waste energy on something that isn;t going to put food on the table?

And going out with you and your friends for drinks WILL put food on the table?

It's like he thinks he's better than us.

What are you - 12 years old?

You're a pretty bad room mate dude. Sorry but it's the truth.

You feel the need to change this guy to be more like you because you need validation of your own lifestyle.