People who overly quote the Bible

LookAtThisPOst

Now, this could fall under the dating section, but this slants towards a mix of both religious and dating.

I am Christian, however, at some of the Christian events and I'd interact with with other Christian women or even go out on a date with them, but they have a tendency to over quote the Bible to a point where it's off-putting. Or perhaps use God as a crutch for decisions they voluntarily made...but calling it "God's will".

One woman I recall said she quit her first year of college, because "God didn't want me going." When in fact it was likely she didn't care for college...I've known people to "give college a try" and just figured the work force was something they enjoyed.

That's just an example.

I hate to say this, but I sometimes get a hint of mental instability with some of these people that tend to get caught up in it to the point where you may want to steer clear of them.

So the question I ponder if there's some kind of agreement here? Do you , even as a Christian, get these strange vibes from people that get a little TOO Bible thumpy?

GorillaTheater
One woman I recall said she quit her first year of college, because "God didn't want me going."

John 11:35

• Like 4

One woman I recall said she quit her first year of college, because "God didn't want me going."

God doesn't want me to work. I know that for a fact because every time I left a crappy job I said "Oh Thank God."

• Like 2
God doesn't want me to work. I know that for a fact because every time I left a crappy job I said "Oh Thank God."

that sooo made me laugh!! Thanks for that line!:D

• Like 2

I'm non-religious but I can tolerate God references here and there, and even I may use them from time to time. To much of it sounds more like an imaginary friend than a genuine nudge from God lol. I have Facebook friends (usually women) that post nothing but God and Bible laced posts about every darn thing that happens to them and it gets to the point where I just roll my eyes.

I recently bought a car with a decent APR considering the percentages I used to wind up with before I fixed my credit up, I told my mom a few days later and she's telling me "remember, that wasn't you that was God." I'm like no, I made a decision to pay my bills on time and finally have the income to make it happen. I won't take him all the way out the equation but c'mon now.

So the question I ponder if there's some kind of agreement here? Do you , even as a Christian, get these strange vibes from people that get a little TOO Bible thumpy?

i'm not christian but i don't like people who talk about religion too much. its a private thing. these bible thumpers tend to be weak people with weak minds.

i'm not christian but i don't like people who talk about religion too much. its a private thing. these bible thumpers tend to be weak people with weak minds.

I'm a non-believer, but I would definitely disagree with this. My experience of Christians that have quoted scripture a lot has been that those people have been through a real tough time and they found a lot of solace in their faith. They've found meaning in various passages of the bible, and in an attempt to alleviate their pain they will quote those passages that are meaningful to them.

• Like 2
I'm a non-believer, but I would definitely disagree with this. My experience of Christians that have quoted scripture a lot has been that those people have been through a real tough time and they found a lot of solace in their faith. They've found meaning in various passages of the bible, and in an attempt to alleviate their pain they will quote those passages that are meaningful to them.

I think both cases are true, I've seen both scenarios play out.

leavesonautumn

I agree with you. It obviously means a lot to people if they can remember a quote and find it important to them. I'm also a non-believer but was raised Roman Catholic. My Nona prays in her sleep. Literally. I know it comforts her and I can respect that.

The one thing that makes me feel uncomfortable is when someone says they will pray for me or think about me in their prayers. I feel it's more for them and has nothing to do with me but whatever helps them :), I wouldn't tell them not to.

autumnnight

I don't mind the relevant use of scripture, like when I was worried about cancer and I quoted Philippians 4:6-7 or when a friend of mine was concerned about all the trouble their teen was in and found comfort in Proverbs 22:6.

But when people just get ridiculous, like, "I was bleaching my underwear today, and I thought about how God cleanses us white as snow"....yeah, I kinda have to do an eye roll.

• Like 1