Are people aware not everyone can exercise?

Actually, this is only partially correct. It's true, the exercise itself doesn't comprise the majority of daily calorie use. However, our rate of metabolism adjusts over time to what we eat...UNLESS we boost it with exercise. So if you are going to cut calories significantly you need to exercise to prevent your metabolism rate from slowing to adapt.

You speed up metabolism by reducing body fat %, that's what exercise is meant to do when done properly. The reason why not all people lose weight in the gym is that they don't speed up their metabolism by lowering their body fat % and that's due to bad diet (and walking on the treadmill which is pointless). Better body composition is the key to higher metabolism.

• Like 1

Don't count out walking on the treadmill as effective exercise:

Take A Hike To Do Your Heart And Spirit Good : Shots - Health News : NPR

I do more, myself, but if you can only walk, even slow walking for 73 min a week on the treadmill showed measurable health gains.

Building muscle will still mean being able to eat more calories, and looking hotter. But as far as the doc is concerned, walking is fine.

Don't count out walking on the treadmill as effective exercise:

Take A Hike To Do Your Heart And Spirit Good : Shots - Health News : NPR

I do more, myself, but if you can only walk, even slow walking for 73 min a week on the treadmill showed measurable health gains.

Building muscle will still mean being able to eat more calories, and looking hotter. But as far as the doc is concerned, walking is fine.

I walk every day but I don't value it as a body composition changing exercise because it isn't. That's what the post was reference to.

There are those who can get so nasty abut fat people and make assumptions they are lazy, etc. I guess they are ignorant of the many physical reasons that might prevent someone from being able to exercise. Now, maybe some people can lose a lot of weight on diet alone, but I can assure you I am not one of those. It takes both strict diet and daily exercise, ever increasing as time goes on, for me to lose weight.

I got most of what you described in your OP.

I'm slightly under 140kg, and my ideal is around 100 at 6 feet tall.

My knees hurt something fierce [and they pop a lot], and i have a compressed nerve in my right forearm.

I can't really weight lift [i used to] because of it and sedentarism has in time affected my weight, balooning to what i am now.

I was thinking last month what to do since i have to lose the weight by the end of the yr to get the kind of job that i want.

The first thing that i did [2 weeks of it now] was to quit eating processed foods, cook as natural as possible with as much fiber as possible, and the meat to be unprocessed.

Most add preservatives, salt, salts and sugar [not to mention that large amounts of starch].

My knee problems immediately left, and in 1 week, i could fit in clothes that i haven't been able to in a while.

Turns out part of my weight gain is linked a lot to salts and preservatives helping me keep a lot of water in the system.

Even before i used to walk, about 2 miles per day is the norm for me, on hilly areas.

On a busy day, it can be 5 miles.

So i'm not exactly a couch potato.

2 exercises that went well for me were biking and swimming, the latter of which i can't really do [local lake is filthy].

Once i reach 120kg, i can get a bike, and i'll use that.

I've also started switching to foods that contain loads of water, drinking warm water when hungry and other tricks.

• 2 weeks later...
eye of the storm

My mom is in her mid 70s. Multiple heart surgeries. But she walks and takes a water fitness class. After her first open heart surgery she stopped working out at all. I think she was afraid. Then she started to spiral downhill. Her doc figured out she was no longer working out and ordered her back to the pool. Her weight stabilized, she got more energy, and she isn't looking frail anymore. Some of those people in her class come in their wheelchairs. Some can't hold a pen anymore due to arthritis. But they all say they feel better after working out.

Crap, just writing this reminds me I have been skipping the gym a lot lately. I was blaming my knees and feet. (to much time carrying to much gear) but if she can do it....I guess I need to get my lazy a$$ to the gym. Sigh

BlackOpsZombieGirl

I can understand the OP's point, because there are simply some (or maybe even a lot of) people that - either because of illnesses, diseases, injuries or other chronic health conditions - are unable to exercise physically in the manner that would cause their muscles to gain mass and that would cause their excess weight to drop off. For those individuals, they must live with their obesity/excessive weight/flabby bodies every single day of their lives.

And for other people who ARE physically capable of exercising - no matter how little or how much they do it - for them to look down upon or become preachy to those who cannot (or who simply choose NOT to) exercise, is just a matter of them inserting themselves into the personal life and private health affairs of said person that is none of their business.

I've been recently diagnosed as having hypothyroidism and am currently taking prescribed medication for it, which is steadily improving my metabolism and energy levels. The beginning of this year I was exercising at a health club 3x a week, watching my portions and decreasing my caloric intake daily and I was making progress with my weight loss goal; then gradually, the progress halted - and I started to slowly gain the weight that I had lost.:confused: Not only that, but I was starting to feel sluggish despite how much I was exercising.

To say that I was stumped and discouraged was an understatement. It didn't make any sense to me why this was happening, so I went to my doctor. After he ran some labs on me, I found out what was happening to me - it was because my thyroid wasn't producing enough TSH. So now, the medication I'm taking (and will have to take every day for the rest of my life) is starting to make an improvement on my metabolism and my energy level.

Thank goodness my weight is starting to drop off again, but now I'm starting from scratch. I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't (or didn't have the physical capability to) exercise! I love the 'high' that I feel and how good my body and mind feel afterwards. Exercising will most certainly bring me closer to losing these 25 lbs. faster than through just portion control and calorie restriction alone.

I do feel bad for people who are unable to exercise due to some medical or physical condition; but all in all, their weight is THEIR business and it's something that THEY have to live with - it has NO effect on me whatsoever. We also have to keep in mind that there are some people who ARE able to exercise but - for whatever reason - choose NOT to exercise or they simply do NOT desire to exercise! They don't mind their excessive weight or their obesity and they simply enjoy themselves cooking and eating to their heart's content while placing other aspects of their life as high priorities.

I'm well aware that while I'm at the gym working out or walking around and doing errands that some people may look at me and go, "Wow, that woman looks to be out of shape! She sure could stand to lose 20 or so pounds, so how could she let herself get like that?" or something along those lines. I'll admit that I've been guilty of thinking thoughts like that about others in the past. But I don't do that anymore, because I just mind my own damn business.

Like the OP says, when you look at an out of shape person, a chunky person, an overweight person or an obese person...you have NO idea how they got that way or why. You don't know what's going on in their life, what injuries they have or what medical conditions or illnesses they're living with every day! If you're not physically or sexually attracted to them, then you're not. If you think they look horrible or ugly, then that's your prerogative to have that opinion.

I think the OP's point was loud and clear: that there truly ARE some people/a lot of people out there who are unable to exercise for whatever reason(s); and it doesn't mean that they are lazy slobs who are looking for pity or excuses as to why they look physically the way that they do. It's THEIR weight, THEIR body and THEIR life. They just want to exist in the same world that we do without being judged or preached to about how they should conduct their lives.

But they all say they feel better after working out.

I have had plenty of days, where I really had to force myself to go workout.

I ALWAYS!!! felt better after working out. Always. Happy I went and didn't skip.

I feel bad when I skip.

Also, for the people saying stuff like "for them to look down upon or become preachy..."

Nobody really thinks about your personal plights that much. Nobody is walking around thinking about how overweight you are. No one really cares. If you registered to them at all, it was brief and now it is gone. Your weight is your problem. Deal with it. Or not.

It's just when people come here and want to pretend they can't affect the outcome, I just like to point out that as a matter of fact....you can.

Edited by Imported