My advice is don't workout at home. There's just no motivation there. If you can find a moderately priced gym(and it is possible), you'll be entering a world of neatness, symmetry, mirrors, muscular men, toned women, struggling-to-be muscular men, " - " - " toned women. This environment will energize you, will condition your mind. Home is where you relax, home has softened corners, and softened light. Not conducive to weight training at all...

For me the flip side of this is convenience. Going to the gym takes at least an extra hour or even two, depending on the location and your routine. The less of an event and hassle it is to get in your time, the more likely you are to do it on a sustained basis.

And I agree that it doesn't take much. I lost about 60 pounds and added a lot of muscle with nothing but two 25# dumb bells in about four square feet of space, plus a spot to lie down. Did almost all of it standing right next to my desk at work.

• Like 1
push ups... no weights required.

This, and dont forget to do pull exercises as well. There are endless variations of pushups, like tiger bends, feet elevated, etc. If you have a nearby park, you can do a lot with a pullup bar for your entire upper body. You can build muscle from calisthenics, just look at dudes in prison. Go to failure, then do some more. It should be challenging esp those last reps in a set.

Op could of course workout at a gym and have weights at home. Do you have a garage or vacant room? Dumbells, barbells, plates, and a bench can go a long way.

+1for second hand craigslist items