Skinny guy trying to gain weight.

Today's nutrition advice kills me. He's already getting double what he needs in protein. Seriously, a 135lb guy needs 300g of protein? He doesn't even need that whey shake, nor the extra one for working out. It's insanity. He definitely doesn't need more. Additionally, you need the protein more on the days you're NOT lifting because that's when the muscle rebuilding is taking place.

I'd rather see him get some actual nutrition, aka fruits and veggies. How about instead of 4 bananas you keep it to 1 a day and pick 3 other fruits; an orange, apple, and some berries. Variety is king. Plus his crazy diet will get old so fast. Why dread your daily regimen when you can eat all kinds of good food?

Nuts are a great idea. Want some calories that are quality nutrition? Eat an avocado and squirt it with some fresh squeezed lime/lemon. Plus you're getting your good fats.

If you're smashing up your muscles you want antioxidants to clean up the damage. Vitamin A, C , E. Doctors recommend those to repair from surgery. Why not to repair the damage done from lifting?

Vit A- carrots, tomatoes (make some homemade salsa and smother your chicken in it)

Vit C- most of your water fruits

Vit E- avocado and nuts, spinach (should be in every person's diet IMO)

And guys, im 20 years old. I dont have a carreer yet lmao. Im going to school. And i dont want to make money with this. Im doing it for myself.

He didn't mean it like having a fitness career. He just meant you would get big just by doing a manual job like construction or pouring concrete, and make money at the same time.

He didn't mean it like having a fitness career. He just meant you would get big just by doing a manual job like construction or pouring concrete, and make money at the same time.

But builders don't look good and aren't big unless they work out. Plenty of them are wiry little dudes who could do with a bigger physique. Where does this romantic view of manual labour come from.

thefooloftheyear
Its so hard to gain weight when you have a small stomach.

The way to do it is with multiple smaller meals....Even if you were a big eater its better to get the full daily caloric intake by way of 8 small meals instead of 3-4 big ones...

TFY

• Author

I agree with popsicle, but also with the poster above.

i spread my meals now, i do still have 3 larger ones, and have to force them down my throat. The others are quite nice as ik usually hungry by the time i have them, and they arent as big.

I have been lifting HARD and eating ALOT lately. Ive taken all of the advice and molded it into one with some aspects of personal prefference, and I can say that i like the way it is now, I'll see if i make progress (i really doubt i wont make nice progress with the things im currently doing ) and I'll keep posting in this thread for questions and progress!

Thanks people!

• Like 1

Everyone's body works differently and no-one can spare you from the amount of time it takes to learn these things - unless you find a good trainer that understands compound lifts. Make sure you read up on programming and periodisation. People will tell you how you don't need this stuff. If you want results and in reasonsble time, don't be half-arsed about it. Plenty of protein and complex carbs. By the way read somewhere that you go to the gym 6 times a week. 4 is better. Recovery is as important as training, it's when your body grows. And remember: you don't exercise or work out, you train. Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Author
Everyone's body works differently and no-one can spare you from the amount of time it takes to learn these things - unless you find a good trainer that understands compound lifts. Make sure you read up on programming and periodisation. People will tell you how you don't need this stuff. If you want results and in reasonsble time, don't be half-arsed about it. Plenty of protein and complex carbs. By the way read somewhere that you go to the gym 6 times a week. 4 is better. Recovery is as important as training, it's when your body grows. And remember: you don't exercise or work out, you train. Good luck.

Haha it's true, I do go to the gym 6 times a week, if I don't hold myself back.

I know it's better to train 4 times a week instead of 6, but I'm really enjoying going to the gym, more than I have ever before. It's also due to a breakup I'm going through, so I have more time on my hands, and the endorphines are a bonus.

Today I actually went to the gym when it was the first hot day in AGES, just because I really wanted to tire my muscles out. Feels good to be dedicated to something, outside of relationships or things I can not control. I feel like I can go far with this! First time in my life I've felt this way.

• Like 2

It's great fun. I love strength training and trying new stuff. You can go 6 times but spend a couple of those days with lighter stuff, mobility work. Otherwise you will burn out and get injured.

• Like 1

dude you need to dump all that stuff and start eating fast food such as:

Burger king whoppers and original chicken sandwich + onion rings

Mcdonalds big mac with fries and a chocolate shake

wendys double cheeseburger with a side salad and coke

half of a large pepperoni pizza with a few beers

buffalo wild wings 1-2 dozen plus a beer or two

• Like 1
Thanks for the advice.

But isn't it true that I'll make gains whatsoever if I just push myself and **** my muscles up before I leave?

Like today, I totally gave it my all, and went out of the gym jawning and I had no more energy to lift. I did feel great mentally though. Isnt that good despite whichever program I follow? I do feel as if I'm doing a good job.

I did invent some things here and there myself in the program the guy made me, as I felt like I could do more when I was in the gym. I do lift as heavy as I can too.

You want to be going 100% in every session you do :p, you want to be absolutely shattered at the end of the workout feeling great! I make sure I can't do anymore when I finish!

Its worth looking at other forms of strength training too aswell as lifting, to keep it more interesting, mixes it up and provides a different challenge so your conditioning/overall fitness will go through the roof!

• Author

People tell me that, but I just feel like complete **** after a delicious big tasty menu.

Even though I can eat whatever I want, I want to feel like I'm doing my body a favor by eating whole healthy foods. The way I'm eating right now is OK I think. It'll obviously change over time, but for now it's fine. I'm eating plenty of calories and protein for my weight.

You want to be going 100% in every session you do :p, you want to be absolutely shattered at the end of the workout feeling great! I make sure I can't do anymore when I finish!

Its worth looking at other forms of strength training too aswell as lifting, to keep it more interesting, mixes it up and provides a different challenge so your conditioning/overall fitness will go through the roof!

I used to ''work out'' in a park nearby with friends, usually chilling though.

I can do the muscle up and other things, even gained a way out of proportion chest from the dipping I did there (LOL) but somehow calesthenics isn't really interesting to me, lifting is.

But if I somehow get bored of lifting after a while, I might just pick up calesthenics every now and then again.

Thanks for the advice :)

Edited by Lizrd3000
thefooloftheyear

Back in the 80's that was the way even some competitive bodybuilders bulked...

TFY

• Like 1