People who don't keep up with pop culture

LookAtThisPOst

loveweary11
I actually do get out to meet people at Sci-Fi conventions, attend celebrity panels with Patrick Stewart, William Shatner with others as well. I even do strategy board gaming with others too all the while discussing Star Trek and such. LOL

However, there's another side of me that enjoys hiking and kayaking the outdoors.

Now this, I can get on board with!

A cult following show is different than the latest whtever.

The day you get a panel with David X Cohen, Trey Parker, Seth MacFarlane, etc... count me in. I wouldn't evemn mind a Rob Drydek and Chanel West Coast panel. :D I've also watched all old and Next Generation star treks and Doctor Who. But... very infrequently and over the internet these days.

Now water cooler talk about the latest whatever for me.

I'm more inclined to argue the opposite: the more interested someone is in pop culture, the less attractive they are as a person, generally speaking.

I'm reading 'The Count of Monte Cristo'. I think I can have a far better conversation about that with someone than, say, about the latest episode of 'Keeping up with the Kardashians' that I haven't seen with a woman who has seen it but never heard of 'The Count of Monte Cristo.'

The things that make a person worth conversing with do not (or should not at least) have a six month shelf life.

loveweary11
As someone who has not seen a single episode of any of those shows, any person who watched even one would throw up a big red flag for me. Huge!

I'd say that someone who was into these shows would only be good for a FWB situation.

:lmao: And they would probably stop the "benefits" because the show was about to start. :lmao:

• Like 1
  • Author
LookAtThisPOst
:lmao: And they would probably stop the "benefits" because the show was about to start. :lmao:

Loveweary....check this out...LOL...esp. with

... I love the intro to this parody song.

Would rather be working or surfing than watching overrated TV shows thank you.

• Like 1
scorpiogirl

Sshhhh! My show's starting! :mad:

I have almost no interest in TV or movies. 99% of it is ****. So it would not be a deal-breaker.

Sshhhh! My show's starting! :mad:

You're lying, I got that tivoed.

Sidenote.. not saying watching tv/film is bad, we all enjoy it. Just it being a basis of conversation or even a fragment of what I have in common with my partner, is laughable. I couldn't do it. I wouldn't entertain it, and if I did- I'd probably have my own TV show.

• Like 2

I haven't seen any of the shows mentioned.

I watch 'some' TV but it's not something I would choose to talk about.

I stick my earphones on at work so I don't have to listen to the chatter from my colleagues about the latest TV, celebrities and how many calories are in whatever they are eating.

This week it'll be a daily run down of Britain's Got Talent as it's on every night so my headphones will be firmly in place.

I recall a man I dated, he didn't have any hobbies and he wanted one - he went and bought Stargate on DVD. All of it. I just wouldn't call TV a hobby.

• Like 1
SycamoreCircle

I've always felt that stuff is good work repartee because it's safe. People can express themselves through it without offending other people.

A lot of it is just schlock, though. We might as well be waiting for the next installment of Flash Gordon. When we last left Flash, Ming had tied him to the Intergalactic Railroad's track and a cargo train was surging mightily forward...

I_Give_Up67
I fit this. I'm way out of step with pop culture and could care less, so it wouldn't be dealbreaker for me. I watch documentaries when I watch tv.

Same here for me too. I dumped my subscription TV service 7 years ago and I do not miss it. I am totally out of step with pop culture. I do have Netflix, but rarely use it. Even with music, I am stuck in the 80's and 90's. Not a deal breaker for me either if a potential mate is the polar opposite.

This is a thing with my husband and I, being so different. I sometimes feel like he's 'superior' to me, because I'm a pop culture junkie and he's not. He has no clue about popular songs, TV shows, movies, anything. He works, and when he's not doing work, his hobbies are all outdoor sports, like canoeing, kayaking, fishing, lake diving. The only things he likes to watch on TV are documentaries about World War II.

It kind of makes me feel like he's 'above' all that stuff that I enjoy and I should be more like him! He is the type of person who was born in the wrong era. He should have been born in the World War II generation, instead of the age group he's in. It is admirable but it's a high standard to follow.

• Author
LookAtThisPOst

one of the perks of knowing pop culture is a saying trivia night at the local restaurant or bar. Lol

This is a thing with my husband and I, being so different. I sometimes feel like he's 'superior' to me, because I'm a pop culture junkie and he's not. He has no clue about popular songs, TV shows, movies, anything. He works, and when he's not doing work, his hobbies are all outdoor sports, like canoeing, kayaking, fishing, lake diving. The only things he likes to watch on TV are documentaries about World War II.

It kind of makes me feel like he's 'above' all that stuff that I enjoy and I should be more like him! He is the type of person who was born in the wrong era. He should have been born in the World War II generation, instead of the age group he's in. It is admirable but it's a high standard to follow.

I don't really care what anyone else watches or listens to - whether that's TV shows, movies, sports, or recent music. My tastes may differ - and usually do - so these things aren't normally part of casual small talk for me. I can find other topics that we have in common - or just talk to someone else. Besides, most of pop culture has no lasting value, so I don't make a habit of following it, unless I actually find it entertaining or useful.

To me. I feel like its good at all ages to be up on whats going on in pop culture. I am aware of the TV shows that are out there. I just can't watch everything. I feel it make a person come off as young if they know about e-mail/Twitter/Texting/Facebook.

So I am more about the awareness off Digital media and how it works in our lives. Than I am about anything else.

I'm into pop culture.

But my husband hasn't heard or seen anything like anything at all. No nothing.

I find it incredible.

But no that hasn't been a deal breaker. As you can find a lot in common with pretty much anyone, besides TV.

Also my husband is 25.

That would not be good. Man, I'm lucky that didn't happen with my ex-FWB during "Twin Peaks"! Or "Raging Bull". Or....

*cough*

An awareness of the world around you is important for your development. Unfortunately, we get bored - maybe boring - as we grow old, and like all the other aspects of our lives, we settle into routines and become decisive about what we want and like. But that can mean stagnation, a death of the soul. That's not fun!

I guess I'm biased because i always dreamed of working in media. The point is keep trying new things, learn to stay excited about what you love about life and what excites you mentally and spiritually. That's what it's all about for me.

I like to think i am creative enough to think of other things to say if the TV show discussion fails.

This is the same for me and my girl.

She likes all the stuff that's on TV, social media, etc and I don't.

I don't see it as being above or below anyone.

Majority of women love that stuff and it's ok, it's one of the many ways people are different.

Sucks when you're younger though. I was very much into pop culture 15 years ago in my teens and twenties, wouldn't have gotten much action back then if I wasn't.

loveweary11

Majority of women love that stuff and it's ok,

Yes, this is interesting.

My ex wife really was as onboard with no TV as I was. We didn't own one for much of our marriage and didn't know any shows.

Her one "vice" was those celebrity gossip magazines at the supermarket checkout. :laugh:

Art_Critic
I don't need anyone to be absolutely up to speed on everything, but I'd at least like them to be generally aware. So I don't need you to know what happened on Walking Dead last week, but I'd like you to be aware that there is a show called Walking Dead that half the world watches. :)

I haven't heard of Walking Dead in the sense of the TV show, life moves on, I stay busy 16+ hrs a day with life and don't watch much TV or listen to much music.. 10 million viewers isn't half the world or even 1% of the US viewers so the show isn't really all that :)

I do agree with you that being generally aware can help move along conversation and at least a person can participate when engaged in conversation.. I would however have to say I don't watch Walking Dead.. :laugh:

I think we all like to have something in common with someone we like or are trying to get to know and Pop Culture/TV habits seems to be the easiest to grab from.. better than talking about the weather :laugh: