Are religious beliefs a problem in dating?

TaraMaiden2
The problem is she has been insisting too much that I should attend her church, so basically she wants me to convert.

And you don't want to.

This isn't rocket science, rov, you have alarm bells and red flags all over the place, and I suspect you know which way this is heading. You already suspect this cult is a stronger emotional pull than you are.

Why not just do the right thing, and walk?

• Like 1
The problem is she has been insisting too much that I should attend her church, so basically she wants me to convert.

Yeah is is trying to recruit you to her cult and in pretty underhand ways by trick baptising you.

Reading your post again, sounds like you have only held hands and kissed a few times - she may not even think she is in a relationship really - just cult bait to get you in.

Run, don't walk. She has been years in this cult, she isn't going to leave it.

run forrest run!

what op describes is not religion & dating issues.

He's describing a whacky cult & he may end up on a farm in the remote hills with a bunch of other hippies following a serial killer.

Or not.

but you never know.

• Author

I was thinking something creepy: What if she doesn't even like me and she is just using herself to recruit me to that cult. I am sure that in that cult they tell them to recruit a certain number of people. Sounds real what I'm thinking?

Faith implies a belief in something without evidence to back it up, so I'd say Tara is spot on.

What else do people believe in without scientific evidence?

Nope, again that isnt what true faith implies . True faith is believing in what you confidently know to be true based on what you've seen or experienced. Evidence can take on many forms including but not limited to scientific evidences .

The belief that you can't find truth through any other way. Ur through science is called scientism which itself is. It a scientifically proven assumption . It's faith based .scientism is a philosophical believe .

There are many things that we all rationally believe that can't be scientifically proven , including science itself ..

5 examples of what all people , atheists included , that people rationally believe in without scientific proof of them.

So no Tara is not spot on . Tara is spot on only if you have faith in the religion of atheism .

And I can also prove that atheists have blind faith and don't trust science when it points even indirectly against their atheistic faith.

Do you believe in the soul or the afterlife ?

The answer you will likely give me is no .

I will ask why

And you will respond "because there is no scientific evidence even pointing to it so how can anyone rationally believe it?"

I have debated many an atheist on this and many an atheist have simply just stopped responded because I showed the hypocrisy of their actions compared to their beliefs , and they were prepared that I really knew this subject very well, even from a scientific view point.

So Cessna since you are I to scientism lets see how consistent with what you say you believe in .

I was thinking something creepy: What if she doesn't even like me and she is just using herself to recruit me to that cult. I am sure that in that cult they tell them to recruit a certain number of people. Sounds real what I'm thinking?

Rob, it's important that you both share what you believe in with each other . Are you willing to give up your faith for any human being without investigating whether her beliefs have any validity to them?

I'm not saying to ridicule her beliefs , but at the same time if she's not open to investigating your catholic faith , is she open at all ?

Ask some tough questions .

Don't ever convert for someone else , convert because you believe it is true and have looked into it .

Does what she believe in coincide with the earliest Christian writings ?

Did the students of the apostles (the apostolic fathers ) ever wrote about a prophet coming from Korea ? Remember they were the students of the apostles and were taught Christianity 101 directly from the apostles who ordained them as future church leaders to teach the Christian faith to future Christians .

Men such as polycarp of smyrnian

Ignatius of Antioch

Clemente of Rome .

As you can see I know my faith very well, but earlier in my life I spent tie. Studying Islam , Buddhism , hari Krishna (yea even them ) and other spiritual beliefs . I was born catholic but that didn't mean that I would stay catholic , even though my research into the early Christian writers brought me back to Catholicism for good.

But remember that catholics are inclusivists which means that as long as a person is searching for God with all their heart with the full light of reason that has been given to them , they can be saved , even if they are from other religious beliefs .

Inclusivism was held by many of the earliest Cjristian writers starting with Justin martyr .

I am sure that in that cult they tell them to recruit a certain number of people. Sounds real what I'm thinking?

That thought occurred to me as well. I would get out of this situation, but don't burn the bridges. Just respectfully start to wind down the time you spend chatting with her and let her know that you like her but you feel this religion is unhealthy for her.

No need to do too much beyond that, and begin your quest searching for another girl.

• Author

I dont understand why she wants me to convert and insists too much on that. I respect her beliefs but I want her to respect mine. That way we can have peace.

TaraMaiden2

Then you will never have peace. Because she is 100% convinced she has found the Right Way to exist. And cults recruit.

I'm not saying, as others have suggested, (and I'm not saying they're wrong, I'm merely saying it may NOT be the case... who knows....?) that she is only going out with you in order to boost cult numbers, but certainly it would suit her far better to have you 'on the inside'. It would make her life easier if you shared what she ideally may want you to participate in.

It won't be such a struggle for her.

But honestly, joining or converting, to appease her, is the baddest of the worst ideas ever.

Sincerely, walk away.

Do it now while your feelings are not so entrenched, that you can't see the wood for the trees.

What worries me, is that you're beginning to be surrounded by saplings....

Quit now.

• Author
Then you will never have peace. Because she is 100% convinced she has found the Right Way to exist. And cults recruit.

I'm not saying, as others have suggested, (and I'm not saying they're wrong, I'm merely saying it may NOT be the case... who knows....?) that she is only going out with you in order to boost cult numbers, but certainly it would suit her far better to have you 'on the inside'. It would make her life easier if you shared what she ideally may want you to participate in.

It won't be such a struggle for her.

But honestly, joining or converting, to appease her, is the baddest of the worst ideas ever.

Sincerely, walk away.

Do it now while your feelings are not so entrenched, that you can't see the wood for the trees.

What worries me, is that you're beginning to be surrounded by saplings....

Quit now.

Yeah, she is conditioning me, that if I don't convert to her religion she might not be able to keep seeing me, that means she doesn't respect me and doesn't love me by the way I am, she wants to change me to suit her needs. What do you mean by saying that I'm surrounded by saplings?

The answer is right in front of you......you can't date her. She strongly believes in something that you think is a big pile of malarkey. It's not going to work.

Oh and BTW these types of religions recruit pretty girls to lure guys into the cult.

TaraMaiden2
Yeah, she is conditioning me, that if I don't convert to her religion she might not be able to keep seeing me, that means she doesn't respect me and doesn't love me by the way I am, she wants to change me to suit her needs. What do you mean by saying that I'm surrounded by saplings?

I mean that for now you are questioning this matter sensibly but the more you hesitate, and the closer you risk getting to this girl, the more confused and enmeshed, and embroiled you will become. At the moment, you CAN see the wood for the trees, but the more you delay breaking up with her, the bigger the saplings are growing...

• Author
I mean that for now you are questioning this matter sensibly but the more you hesitate, and the closer you risk getting to this girl, the more confused and enmeshed, and embroiled you will become. At the moment, you CAN see the wood for the trees, but the more you delay breaking up with her, the bigger the saplings are growing...

Why do you say that converting to her religion would be the worst idea?. Im just very confused with this. :(

TaraMaiden2
Why do you say that converting to her religion would be the worst idea?. Im just very confused with this. :(

If you don't get it now, after everything you have been advised by all the participants to the thread, and all the comments, then you're on your own.

Everyone has told you she's bad news.

Even you have recognised that she is intent on manipulating you.

You have said yourself you don't believe what she believes. You even said it was a pile of rubbish (or words to that effect).

There would be no reason to join her cult because you would be neither sincere nor committed.

I don't believe you can still be "confused. "

I think you may be messing about now.

People, even the happiest couples, never agree on 100% of topics. Being too similar isn't necesarily a good thing.

This girl being religious may or may not be problem depending not on how you feel about the religion itself, but being with a lady holding such beliefs.

Can you respect her beliefs enough without it bothering too much? Can she respect the fact that you chose not follow that cult?

I wouldn't necessarily write her off already, but I would make it clear where I stand just like she did to you and take it from there. Everyone should be open minded but no one should do things they don't feel comfortable doing.