Is it tacky for women to carry pepper spray?

You should definitely carry pepper spray anytime you might be alone or in your car. But you have to be careful or it will come back into your face. And you have to replace it somewhat regularly too as it gets old. A friend of mine used it on a road rage guy who came up to her car window at a stop light. She looked in the rearview mirror before she left while he was writhing in misery and his woman in the car was rolling on the floor laughing about it. He'd probably scared her to death any number of times being rude to people and finally got what he had coming.

It's not tacky but if you are carrying a keychain one it is foolish. Get at least a 2 ounce size The most effective I have seen is Fox Labs. They all hurt but Fox Labs acts the fastest, like 1-3 seconds. I have seen some that, while they work, they took 30 or 45 seconds. You could be beaten and thrown in the trunk of a car by the time it takes effect.

It's only tacky if you don't accessorize accordingly.

Can't have an orange pepper spray with pink shoes.

• Like 4
I've got pepper spray on my keychain, often have a knife on me, and am a good shot with a gun. Grew up around guns, and there are several in this house.

Would never aim to kill, but if someone entered my home with intent to hurt me, I would not think twice about firing a shot that will stop them in their tracks. Not one step closer...

What I wouldn't do to have shooting as a hobby. When I was ~11 years old there was a carneval fair in a neighbour town with a stand that had laser guns; the first few rounds I was busy trying to figure out how to get the thing working like the other kids, but I quickly found out how it worked and with 100% accuracy. I always shot at that one target that would shoot water at the crowd... :laugh:

At home. Buy a copy of: Kill or Get Killed by Applegate & make a practice dummy. Get a good quality blade that's legal for subjects to own. Train well & keep your blade sharp & oiled. Blades don't have expiration dates.

Thanks, I'll check it out. :)

Edited by No Limit
  • Like 1
Clarence_Boddicker

It's been proven that not everyone is effected by non military grade chemical weapons. If it was me, I'd rather carry a stun gun than pepper spray. Bear or wasp spray would be better, but probably illegal.

It's been proven that not everyone is effected by non military grade chemical weapons.

Well, a fifth of all people are even immune to them... :/

Unless you're Annie Oakley it's better to aim at center mass. If they're close enough that you can reasonably hit a moving arm or leg there's a good chance they're close enough to disarm you if they intend to.

Clarence_Boddicker

The point of personal protection is to incapacitate the attacker, not to punish them.

Firearms are the only 100% effective practical self defense tool, because they use lethal force.

Electrical devices such as stun guns & tasers are number two. They are 100% effective at temporarily incapacitating humans.

Edged weapons are number 3 due to the skill required & carrying a sword around is no longer socially acceptable. Knives can be very deadly in the right hands, but require close contact.

Chemical weapons are much lower due to their very unpredictable results. You have no way of knowing if an attacker will be affected enough to cease their attack.

Most pepper sprays wear off in less then an hour.

One thing I will say I dislike is any type of object on your keychain - even a fob - that's dirty. So if you had a little canister of pepper spray that was visibly grimy or was a color that showed dirt well, looking at that would make me go "ew."