Do I Tell Him?

FrozenChosen

• Author
FrozenChosen

I think this is more than a one-time incident and it's likely there's been an emotional affair going on between you. Blame alcohol if you want, I don't buy it.

No, not an emotional affair. I don't have those kind of feelings for the friend (OK, I understand that some people disagree with calling him a friend, so just think of him as "Dude #2).

Edited by FrozenChosen
fireflywy
No, not an emotional affair. I don't have those kind of feelings for the friend (OK, I understand that some people disagree with calling him a friend, so just think of him as "Dude #2).

Okay. So you're not going to do anything and now, you're somewhat defending this other guy by referring to him as "Dude 2" when he should be "Dude youre gone!" Are you going to get RID of Dude 2 like you should and cut off all contact with him?

If not, you need to quit being selfish, quit lying to yourself about NOT having an emotional affair, and END IT with your current bf. You're clearly not doing the lifting you SHOULD be doing here and the drinking thing is starting to sound like an excuse.

Remember, I said "If Not" so if you ARE, then everything I said shouldn't apply.

Edited by fireflywy
DJOkawari
Tell your boyfriend what you did. Better to be honest even when you make mistakes like this. Actions like yours have consequences. Sometimes people can forgive those behaviors in alcoholics like you. Others are not so forgiving.

This.

Your relationship is going to be tested now but this could be a good thing. You have a very big reason to solve your problem. If your boyfriend can't handle it, then he can't handle it. I understand what your psychiatrist is saying but ask yourself this question: when you imagined your ideal relationship, do you tell your bf when this happens or not? Does he forgive you and work through it or not?

Don't erode your standards because of fear. Also, there is nothing wrong with what happened as long as it is accepted as a one time mistake. Everyone makes mistakes and our societal obsession with commitment kills more relationships than incompatibility.

It's all about the life you want to live.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author
FrozenChosen
This.

Your relationship is going to be tested now but this could be a good thing. You have a very big reason to solve your problem. If your boyfriend can't handle it, then he can't handle it. I understand what your psychiatrist is saying but ask yourself this question: when you imagined your ideal relationship, do you tell your bf when this happens or not? Does he forgive you and work through it or not?

Don't erode your standards because of fear. Also, there is nothing wrong with what happened as long as it is accepted as a one time mistake. Everyone makes mistakes and our societal obsession with commitment kills more relationships than incompatibility.

It's all about the life you want to live.

UPDATE: I told him in person, and we're going to try and work it out.

He ultimately told me he's glad that I told him and that there were other things we needed to talk about.

Thanks for the support, folks!

• Like 4