Is this beauty flaw a dealbreaker?

It's really not as simple as saying yes, it's a deal breaker, or no its not. Everybody has different deal breakers, some men might be okay with it, others not. She just has to decide if she can take the rejection from those who aren't okay with it. Maybe she should try waxing out, it's stays smooth for a good while and the hair becomes finer over time.

lightstruck

It's pretty clear you're referring to yourself in these posts about "friends." It's an anonymous internet site-- there's no need to feel ashamed, especially about a medical condition you cannot help. I also have PCOS, although thankfully I have avoided the facial hair problem. I do however know a lot about it. It's true that laser, electrolysis, etc., will only be a temporary solution as long as the hormonal problems causing the hair growth continue to run rampant. However, if you get the hormones under long-term control, you can then get hair removal treatments for any remaining hair and it will not regrow (as long as the hormones stay under control.)

And guess what the best method is for controlling hormones? Medication. Some will have side effects for you, and some won't. There's no way to know without trying. Side effects are not universal. Birth control can help immensely, and there are other drugs to treat the hirsutism specifically (such as spironolactone.) I take both BC and spiro, and have no side effects at all.

If you had dangerous high blood pressure, wouldn't you take medication for it? There's no reason not to for PCOS as well. It can be dangerous to your health due to insulin resistance and obesity. It's not just cosmetic.

As far as getting rid of the hair right now, it's possible shaving might not be the best choice, NOT because it makes your hair grow back darker (this is absolutely an old wife's tale. See this Mayo Clinic article) but because it can irritate and harden your skin. If you don't get irritation, though, go ahead. Waxing will of course hurt more, and depilatory creams such as Nair can have mixed results.

Anyway, I used to be super sensitive about my relatively minor extra hair growth, which was just on my body and not face, and it turned out literally no one cared about it. You might face a bit more problems with it being facial, but even if some guys care, plenty more won't. Good luck!

• Like 4
LivingWaterPlease

Have only read the first page but wanted to offer this:

Your friend could do one of two things I didn't see mentioned:

1. Electrology, which is expensive and takes a lot of time, may have already been suggested.

2. Take Spironolactone (Aldactone). This pharmaceutical blocks the amount of male hormone that gets to the skin level so is sometimes used in hirsute cases. Also, is used for acne, which is why I took it. A side effect is that a person who takes it will have breast enlargement that isn't reversible so it's not ordinarily prescribed to men.

I only read the first page, but if she's so concerned with what others think, she'll never get very far.

Tell her to find out for herself if anyone is willing to take a chance with her. She has nothing to lose if she tries, right? If she meets guys who don't like it....who cares? It doesn't have to affect how she feels about herself. And she just might meet someone great who doesn't give a ****.

• Like 1
lightstruck
Have only read the first page but wanted to offer this:

Your friend could do one of two things I didn't see mentioned:

1. Electrology, which is expensive and takes a lot of time, may have already been suggested.

2. Take Spironolactone (Aldactone). This pharmaceutical blocks the amount of male hormone that gets to the skin level so is sometimes used in hirsute cases. Also, is used for acne, which is why I took it. A side effect is that a person who takes it will have breast enlargement that isn't reversible so it's not ordinarily prescribed to men.

Electrolysis won't work in the long term unless the hormone problem is addressed. The hair will re-grow if it's not.

Spironolactone does not cause breast enlargement in women; you may be confusing that with the side effect of gynecomastia (aka "man boobs") in men. This is because of its testosterone blocking effects. It doesn't have this effect for women because it is simply reverting the woman's abnormally high testosterone levels to normal.

• Like 1

Lol!!! So many "Doctors" in this thread.:lmao:

Tell your friend to get dating regardless of the PCOS/Hair issue, no one is perfect. Some of the best looking people have the most hidious personality flaws.

No one has suggested threading (I read all 4 pages) as an option for hair removal. I do my upper lip and eyebrows by threading and last time I was getting it done there was a lady having her neck and chin done too.

I'll refrain from addding to the PCOS treatment debate! I will mention that weight loss and exercise go a long way in helping to manage PCOS.

• Like 1
LivingWaterPlease
Electrolysis won't work in the long term unless the hormone problem is addressed. The hair will re-grow if it's not.

Spironolactone does not cause breast enlargement in women; you may be confusing that with the side effect of gynecomastia (aka "man boobs") in men. This is because of its testosterone blocking effects. It doesn't have this effect for women because it is simply reverting the woman's abnormally high testosterone levels to normal.

I didn't write that Spironolactone causes breast enlargement in women. Reread my post if you think I did.

What I wrote is that breast enlargement in women is a side effect of taking Spironolactone, a totally different assertion.

The breast enlargement is not caused by the pharmaceutical Spironolactone. It is a result of Spironolactone not allowing male hormone to reach the skin level and the hormone blocking at skin level results in breast enlargement, along with less hair on face, arms, body, more hair in the crown area of a woman who is experiencing male pattern baldness as a result of hormonal issues, etc.

My dermatologist warned me about this (breast enlargement as a side effect) before I began taking it.

As a result of taking spironolactone for acne my bust size increased two cup sizes (actually a cup and a half but I had to go up two bra sizes).

I was in my thirties when I began taking Spironolactone and my bust size was already firmly established, excuse the pun!

That was fifteen years ago. Took Spironolactone for a year or two and the size has remained the same though I've been off Spironolactone for a decade.

It also cleared up my acne and caused the hair on my head to thicken (not each strand, there were just more strands growing). This was all very obvious, not psychological.

LivingWaterPlease
Lol!!! So many "Doctors" in this thread.:lmao:

One doesn't need to be a Dr. to receive information from a Dr., take the prescription offered and then experience exactly what the Dr. predicted.

Edited by LivingWaterPlease
One doesn't need to be a Dr. to receive information from a Dr., take the prescription offered and then experience exactly what the Dr. predicted.

Hey no kidding!!!

My point is, the OP never asked for a cure for the PCOS or a million differing views and experiences of how to deal with it. She asked if her friend should expect to get dates having facial hair.

I am actually a registered, quailified medical professional. :cool:

• Like 2
  • Author
Why aren't "they" posting? This site is free.

Well, my friends don't have an account on here or want to make one just for one question. They also are too embarrassed to even post on an anonymous thread. I actually posted these questions without really asking them. They just always ask me about their beauty flaws, so I decided to ask on here. Once I showed them the forum they appreciated the feedback. Three of us are using this account, so we're not all the same person. We just want some advice on a few issues we have. Now that she sees and read her own thread, she will be posting and responding now; thanks for the feedback :)

• Author
It's pretty clear you're referring to yourself in these posts about "friends." It's an anonymous internet site-- there's no need to feel ashamed, especially about a medical condition you cannot help. I also have PCOS, although thankfully I have avoided the facial hair problem. I do however know a lot about it. It's true that laser, electrolysis, etc., will only be a temporary solution as long as the hormonal problems causing the hair growth continue to run rampant. However, if you get the hormones under long-term control, you can then get hair removal treatments for any remaining hair and it will not regrow (as long as the hormones stay under control.)

And guess what the best method is for controlling hormones? Medication. Some will have side effects for you, and some won't. There's no way to know without trying. Side effects are not universal. Birth control can help immensely, and there are other drugs to treat the hirsutism specifically (such as spironolactone.) I take both BC and spiro, and have no side effects at all.

If you had dangerous high blood pressure, wouldn't you take medication for it? There's no reason not to for PCOS as well. It can be dangerous to your health due to insulin resistance and obesity. It's not just cosmetic.

As far as getting rid of the hair right now, it's possible shaving might not be the best choice, NOT because it makes your hair grow back darker (this is absolutely an old wife's tale. See this Mayo Clinic article) but because it can irritate and harden your skin. If you don't get irritation, though, go ahead. Waxing will of course hurt more, and depilatory creams such as Nair can have mixed results.

Anyway, I used to be super sensitive about my relatively minor extra hair growth, which was just on my body and not face, and it turned out literally no one cared about it. You might face a bit more problems with it being facial, but even if some guys care, plenty more won't. Good luck!

Well, my friends don't have an account on here or want to make one just for one question. They also are too embarrassed to even post on an anonymous thread. I actually posted these questions without really asking them. they just always ask me about their beauty flaws, so I decided to ask on here. Once I showed them the forum they appreciated the feedback. Three of us are using this account, so we're not all the same person. We just want some advice on a few issues we have.

• Author

I am the woman with the facial hair problem. My friend initially created this thread because I kept asking her about it and I was too embarrassed to post and discuss it myself. I really appreciate all the responses and advice. I have been struggling with this issue since I was 15 and I am working on reducing it. I feel confident doing everything but having a bf. I am concerned he would see and feel hair. I mainly wanted to know if it is a deal breaker for you personally. I will be responding and posting now. There are three of us using this account, but we now all have our own threads.

• Author
Everything in life is a choice. In my opinion she needs to take the hormones and bite the dust concerning the side effects. The thing with the pill is you need to take them a good 3 months before side effects subside.

Also, having such a hormonal imbalance without treating it and letting it free to get worse doesn't sound like good medicine to me.

Shaving it sounds like the worse solution. Has she looked into waxing? I know a woman that her face is covered in a duvet so she has it removed by a professional and they use wax.

I am against taking medication for it right now. I am scared of the side effects. My facial hair and removing it now doesn't hurt or make me feel sick. I care more about my health and how I feel over a beauty flaw. Birth control pills have pretty serious side effects and pump your body up with more hormones and things. If I got a blood clot from pills, I wouldn't b too concerned with facial hair anymore. I am more about the natural approach, such as spearmint tea, supplements, losing weight and reducing sugar. Many doctors just want to mask the issue with medicine and send you on your way. Medicine isn't always the answer especially when it comes to hormones. I would also have to be on pills the rest of my life and I'm only in my early 20's.

Well, PCOS only gets worse if you gain weight or eat more sugar. After puberty it pretty much stays the same. When you're older it can make you more at risk for other health problems though. So, if I let it go it won't really get worse per say.

Facial hair has to be long to wax. I can't let it grow out enough for it to come off. Also, it hurts more. I use a small electric razor which takes it off nicely, just makes it rough. I also heard since I have an hormonal imbalance waxing can make it worse.

• Author
One word. Electrolysis.... it's expensive but well worth it. Won't interfere with your poc marks either.

There is also a little hand held gadget on the market called the "no no" - $300 approx.. When used regularly, it removes hair from the entire body, including your face, permanently. Will take about six months.

I have considered electrolysis, but it is really painful and time consuming. I am not good with pain and I am concerned it will eventually grow back since I have an underlying condition.

No No doesn't work, the reviews are all bad. The company also has really bad customer service. No No probably only works on light fuzz anyways.

I have had real laser at a place and it only kept it off for like a month and I got headaches from it.

• Author
Infertility and other problems associated with her PCOS may be more of a hindrance to her in finding a life partner than some hair.

She needs to work through the medication to find what she can take, and not rely on "natural" stuff to treat her PCOS.

Polycystic ovary syndrome - Symptoms - NHS Choices

I am against taking medication for it right now. I am scared of the side effects. My facial hair and removing it now doesn't hurt or make me feel sick. I care more about my health and how I feel over a beauty flaw. Birth control pills have pretty serious side effects and pump your body up with more hormones and things. If I got a blood clot from pills, I wouldn't be too concerned with facial hair anymore. I am more about the natural approach, such as spearmint tea, supplements, losing weight and reducing sugar. Many doctors just want to mask the issue with medicine and send you on your way. Medicine isn't always the answer especially when it comes to hormones. I would also have to be on pills the rest of my life and I'm only in my early 20's.

• Author
Shaving will cause it to grow back thicker and darker... in a few years she "will" be able to grow a beard.....literally!

That's a myth since shaving doesn't effect the actual follicle. After I used depilatory creams it looked the same as when I shaved. I use an electric razor, not like shaving cream and a regular one; I would never use that.

• Author
you can.

as someone with PCOS - birth control solved that exact problem your friend has. and i had 0 sideeffects. did she even bother to consult her doctor about her options? also - STOP WITH THE RAZOR RIGHT THIS SECOND. you NEVER go with razor on your FACE. it's either wax or other less invasive options, i recommend wax.

everything has sideeffects - you have no choice but to deal with it. and for rough face problem - moisturize, moisturize, moisturize + say HELL NO to the razors!

I am against taking medication for it right now. I am scared of the side effects. My facial hair and removing it now doesn't hurt or make me feel sick. I care more about my health and how I feel over a beauty flaw. Birth control pills have pretty serious side effects and pump your body up with more hormones and things. If I got a blood clot from pills, I wouldn't be too concerned with facial hair anymore. I am more about the natural approach, such as spearmint tea, supplements, losing weight and reducing sugar. Many doctors just want to mask the issue with medicine and send you on your way. Medicine isn't always the answer especially when it comes to hormones. I would also have to be on pills the rest of my life and I'm only in my early 20's.

I use an electric razor designated for the face. It is a myth it makes it worse, since it doesn't effect the follicles. I can't wax because your hair needs to be a certain length and I can't let it grow out long enough. Also since I have an underlying condition waxing may make it worse. Shaving isn't invasive since it never goes under the skin.

• Author
Sorry, this is a total myth :)

Shaving cuts the hairs off so it might look thicker/darker on the first regrowth than if you remove the hairs totally by plucking or waxing etc. But it does not make one bit of difference to the thickness or darkness of the hairs. If that worked then I would be shaving my head every day!

Google it :)

Exactly, shaving never touches the follicle, so it can't make it worse. Plucking and waxing can actually make it worse since it effects the follicles.

• Author
She needs to find a dermatologist who is skilled at using a YAG laser if that hair is dark, or electrolysis if the hair is blonde/white. It may take a few sessions and can be expensive, but it is a worthwhile investment in her own peace of mind if she feels that her facial hair is a hindrance to her happiness.

Or find a guy who is into hirsute women.

I think the kind of guy she needs is one who doesn't care what his friends or other people think of the woman he's with. Are you that man? If not, then you should step aside and let her go find one.

I have had Alexandrite laser at a dermatologist and it only kept it off for like a month and I got headaches from it. I have an underlying condition, so laser doesn't really work.

I have considered electrolysis, but it is really painful and time consuming. I am not good with pain and I am concerned it will eventually grow back since I have an underlying condition.

Well, I never go out with hair on my face, Nobody can see it unless they really were looking in good light. It's not like people stare at me when I am out lol. I was just wondering if a guy felt it while we were fooling around would he find it to be deal breaking?

• Author
The thing she probably has the most to be concerned with with shaving is ingrown hairs.

At the very least, she should consider waxing before shaving, although my dermatologist said that shaving doesn't cause the hairs to grow in thicker--they're just cut at the surface of the skin as opposed to being yanked out at the root, where a new, tapered tip is generated and that pushes through to the surface.

I rarely have ingrown hairs actually. I use an electric razor. My facial hair isn't long enough for me to wax. Waxing can also make it worse since I am disrupting the follicles.

• Author
The above.

Though first she needs Dr's care on hormonal imbalance and sound medical advice on how to get rid of the hair.

• Author
nope, nope, nope.

you have to understand what PCOS is first & how it's treated. the hair you have on your head (which is there naturally) is NOT the same as hair you have growing uncontrollably on your cheeks, chin and neck. what pills do - they "calm" your hormones and keep them in balance so those areas that have gone wild (hence the hair growth on unusual bady parts) will "calm down". your hair isn't growing on your cheeks, chin & neck because that's normal - it's growing there because your hormones are out of the control. your other body hair grows on your head, legs... because it IS normal and because it's SUPPOSED to grow there & it's not connected with your hormonal balance.

some women cannot handle BC, so that might be a problem but there is other medicine which treats PCOS.

if she is diagnosed with PCOS - that's a serious condition + there is a treatment for that and you don't go to your endocrinologist - you see your gynecologist. your gyno will send you to do hormonal & blood tests in order to figure out what treatment suits you the best.

Again doctors just like to mask the problem with medicine. I am more about the natural remedies. I just feel medicine should be a last resort.

• Author
I got blonde hairs under my jaw which are not very thin. No big deal.

A boyfriend of mine once said "hey! you got a girly beard! cooch cooch! :love:". and that was about it.

I don't recommend laser for facial hair, it can make the situation worse on some people (a well known paradox). Electrolysis, as someone else said, might be the solution. It's cheaper as well.

Well I have more facial hair than that and laser can make it worse if you use it on blonde hair or some fuzz. I was a good candidate for laser, but it gave me headaches. Electrolysis is painful and I am concerned it will still grow back since I have an underlying condition.