Why would a co worker take his breaks and lunch in his car?

I'm saying that it's not odd to go outside, walk, read, sit on benches during breaks. DUH. What I thought was weird was that he sits in his car that was my question.

What others do on their breaks/lunch hour and where they choose to do it is not your business.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
whichwayisup
I've noticed that this co worker takes his breaks and lunch in his car. He never sits in the break room, doesn't really do small talk with the others. Is this odd?

It's possible he's shy or anti social or has anxiety issues (social anxiety) or maybe he's just a jerk wants nothing to do with anybody on a personal level.

Have you ever approached him and asked him to join for you coffee or invite him to have lunch with you?

• Like 1

I used to have lunch in the car. Usually so i could smoke and listen to the Arctic Monkeys very loud.

• 2 weeks later...
creighton0123
I've noticed that this co worker takes his breaks and lunch in his car. He never sits in the break room, doesn't really do small talk with the others. Is this odd?

I don't find it odd at all. Years ago, when I had a car to get to work, I often found sitting in the car and listening to music - or taking a brief nap with music playing and the AC on - was a great way to take a break.

I had a fast paced, support engineering job that required I respond to hundreds of emails and/or support tickets and attend meetings all day long. The short isolation was very meditative.

To avoid odd questions like yours above, though, I would drive my car to a parking lot of another complex and park in the shade.

• Like 1

The second job I ever had, I would always eat in my car, as I would typically always drive somewhere to get food, and than just sit in there, listening to the radio and music. The break room was very bleak and it was just better being in my car, just relaxing.

That and it would be like 3am at night when I had lunch, not exactly the best time to be walking around in the hood lol.

• Like 1
littleplanet

I suspect he might be the Marleboro Man. Like any long tall Texan, strong and silent. Goes his own way. Chews arrowroot in his boots. Shuns the loud crowd. Bops to the beat of his own drum.

It's a 'Merican tradition, don'tcha know. Yer gittin' yer shorts in a knot over nothin' atall.

He knows his own self and is comfortable inside his own skin (or in this case, his car.)

Was a day when he woulda slept in the saddle. Clear eyes to the horizon. Squinting into a clean sun under a scrubbed sky. Thoughts unclouded by the troubles of the mob. And some such.

Leave him be.

On the other hand, if none of this happens to be true, you wouldn't know about it anyhow. Not unless you heard it straight from the horse's mouth.

To get away from all the annoying jerks he works with, obviously. :p

It may be he needs time to recover from the job, the other workers or he just likes to be alone. Don't pester the guy, let him be!

sandylee1

Not that odd. I've done it before. Sometimes because I was so tired tbh. Other times to chat on the phone. I didn't do lunch with coworkers.