controlling anxiety naturally?

amaysngrace

I know I need more structure in my life, I just have no idea how to go about creating order out of the chaos I have created.

Eat your peas first. Meaning, do the stuff that's the hardest to do and that you really don't want to do to get it out of the way as soon as possible.

That's been what has helped me clear up clutter in my life. Sometimes it's hard because when bad things happen we feel like we really don't have much control but that's really not true. There are a lot of things we can control so I start there and eat my peas first because I hate peas.

Do you go to counseling with a psychotherapist so you can talk through things? That helps a lot too.

• Like 1

I found keeping my water intake regulated helped me control my anxiety. I drink about 3 liters a day and noticed a huge improvement in my day to day anxiety. When I have an anxiety attack, I focus on the phrase 'Let it go' and clear everything else out of my mind. I repeat with my breathing until I am calm. I do this when I am at work and cannot do anything physical.

Physical exercise has also helped me when I am able to do it. Yoga works great for me and I try to run. I am not very good at it and I have to stop a lot. But it works none the less.

I am afraid to take drugs for anxiety so I pretty much tried everything else.

• Like 2
  • Author

How often should I do yoga? I found a new studio that has a beginning class every night that I can actually attend. I certainly can't go every night but would 2 nights per week be OK or even one? At this point anything has to be better than what I am doing.

Around here most of the beginning classes were during the day which I found infuriating. I was like if I could go yoga at 11 a.m. on weekdays I probably wouldn't be this stressed. Duh.

loveweary11

I have a secret technique that not only eases n attack whne you're in it, but also cures you of anxiety attacks permanently.

I hired a live in assistant a little while back wgo had terrible anxiety. She had only one attack when she was here for 2 months because I stopped it, then she only had them when she left.

Donnivain.., you have a husband or boyfriend, right? Is he understanding and helpful, as well as sympathetic to the anxiety?

If so, you can cure it together.

Tell him to offer you his hand to hold and to remind you that it's "jst a panic attack, that you're not dying, that lots of people have them, that they are stupid and that they will pass...that no one has ever died from a panic attack"

Have him stay there through the whole attack, holding your hand until you feel better.

While he holds your hand, feel his normal hand compared to you cold, clammy, anxiety hand. Realize that his hand is normal body temperature. that his dry hand is how yours is supposed o feel. Realize it's"just a stupid panic attack" and laugh it off. After all, nobody as ever died from one, no matter how uncomfortable it feels.

Soon, your attacks will become weaker and weaker. You'll eventually feel them starting and be able to head them off before they get big. Eventually, you'll cease having them at all!

I had them from age 18 to like 35. My wife had them too, but not as bad.

We discovered this technique and I've been panic attack free for like 5 years now with no chance of them returning.

I've helped several people get rid of or lessen them with these techniques.

They REALLY work!

• Like 3
How often should I do yoga? I found a new studio that has a beginning class every night that I can actually attend. I certainly can't go every night but would 2 nights per week be OK or even one? At this point anything has to be better than what I am doing.

Around here most of the beginning classes were during the day which I found infuriating. I was like if I could go yoga at 11 a.m. on weekdays I probably wouldn't be this stressed. Duh.

If you can afford to go, try to go at least 2-3 times a week. And try to walk every day. That link I provided discusses the physiological effects that anxiety and stress cause and explains how walking will get rid of the physical side effects that anxiety causes in the body. The movement and the breathing associated with walking actually will counteract the anxiety feelings and physical side effects. Try it and see if that works for you. Plus, walking is free and you can do it anytime of day for however long you want, solo or with a friend or two.

Sorry to hear that you lost both of your parents and all of those friends over the years. I like Amaysyngrace's advice about taking on the hardest issues first, to get them out of the way. The best way to conquer fear is to face it head on. When you face your fear (with support in place), you take away the power it holds over you.

• Like 1
loveweary11

Sorry about all the typos.

This tablet i use to browse and post absolutely sucks to hunt and peck long things out on.

I made an earlier post to suggest emailing you a well typed up set of instructions (it vanished) but the post above should get you moving in the right direction.

• Like 1

Even one yoga class will help you immensely. I work in the fitness and wellness area and it is one of the best things you can do for yourself. Two would be the best if you can commit to it. I find that I sleep better at night after I have been to yoga for the day.

The whole point of yoga is to concentrate on your breath. The poses help with the circulation and have various health benefits but the most beneficial thing you can do is focus on your breathing. It clears your mind and it is the one constant thing you are always in control of.

• Like 1
Under The Radar

Ever hear the phrase it's better to do something imperfectly than nothing flawlessly?

Yes, doing yoga even once or twice a week will be beneficial ...... IMO, starting slowly is going to be more sustainable in the long run ...... dip your toes in water rather than jump straight into the deep end so to speak.

Exercise, especially something like yoga, can be very relaxing. There is definitely a strong correlation between the mind and the body ...... they feed off one another. One of the best anti-anxiety/depression combatants in existence is movement. In many ways it is a medication for me and the results can be extremely therapeutic.

The comments on breathing are spot on. In a world where lots of things are out of our control ...... we can usually control our breathing. Controlled breathing can greatly dictate our emotional state ...... IMO, it is a part of mastering oneself and regulating pain.

The right type of exercise and practiced breathing can greatly help with your anxiety ...... you'll become more resilient in dealing with the stress and disconcerting thought patterns.

I wish you well.

loveweary11

I may be an anomaly, but exercise definitely made my anxiety worse.

Being overly stressed, mentally or physically usually triggered my attacks.

Some of my earliest and first attacks came after exhausting days snowboarding and stuff.

Anybody got any good tips to calm yourself down when you are feeling particularly anxious?

I'm not talking about a mild case of nerves, I'm talking can't sleep, rapid heart beat, shortness of breath, dry heaving & feeling like you are about to jump out of your skin.

I hate the pharmaceutical approach. I don't want to be stoned but I do want my body to stop aching & my mind to stop racing.

Taking long-ish drives always helped me. I mean like get on the freeway for an an hour type thing.

Anxiety's often based on a sort of localized sensation of inability to act combined with a need to act, so sitting in a room closed in by four walls is only going to heighten that. Going out and putting on some miles seems to sooth it. Plus there's a certain rhythmic comfort in being in a moving vehicle. (Some people even drive to calm down fussy babies.)

Under The Radar
I may be an anomaly, but exercise definitely made my anxiety worse.

Being overly stressed, mentally or physically usually triggered my attacks.

Some of my earliest and first attacks came after exhausting days snowboarding and stuff.

I would agree that depending on the person and the type of exercise ...... movement could create more anxiety.

Heavy strength training has a very different effect on the body than yoga. Exhaustive snowboarding will have a different effect than deep controlled breathing in a relaxed environment.

It's the classic Yin and Yang balance ...... one area of physical culture is softer (yoga) while the other (strength training) is harder and more aggressive.

A severe sleep deficit would definitely be a form of bad stress (distress) while some gentle yoga positions, accompanied by some controlled breathing, could be a productive form of stress (eustress). The right types of stress make us far more resilient when dealing with life's challenges.

I believe everyone should experiment to find what works best for them.

Edited by Training Revelations
todreaminblue
Even one yoga class will help you immensely. I work in the fitness and wellness area and it is one of the best things you can do for yourself. Two would be the best if you can commit to it. I find that I sleep better at night after I have been to yoga for the day.

The whole point of yoga is to concentrate on your breath. The poses help with the circulation and have various health benefits but the most beneficial thing you can do is focus on your breathing. It clears your mind and it is the one constant thing you are always in control of.

thats exactly it...its the one thing you can really own and thats your breath in and out of your body.....yoga is awesome i took it up as a teen its something you nver forget...even the poses become natural and fluid and seem to have a muscle memory all of their own...i love the cat pose...salute to the sun has my favorite transitions.....empowering.......deb

I was actually diagnosed with it last year. In the first 2.5 years after my mother died in 2011, I lost over 30 other friends to death not counting my mom & my dog.

My shrink pointed out that this was the downside of having such a large social circle. Because I knew more people, I would have more losses. The problem was there were so many in such a short period. I was literally going to a funeral every 3 weeks on average.

How awful. :( This is the main thing pushing my anxiety/depression. I've lost too many pets and family members (and family friends) in recent years, and the hits keep coming. Cancer for one, heart attack for another. I'm terrified of losing my parents.

I walked it off the other night, for three hours. As I walk, I'll talk to myself occasionally, venting as I walk (quietly). I'll eventually feel a shift.

last night, I cooked. Earlier on, I went to Walmart, to get a few things (and ended up stocking on more than I expected to - impulse buys for a few things). I take flower essences, when I remember them, take Rhodiola or SAM-e. I keep forgetting about chamomile tea. It doesn't knock me out in the way that it used to.

Jen reminded me that I go out with dad, when I can. He drives a lot, and it can help.

I should try yoga, again. I have a couple of dvds, and a book by Jennifer Aniston's trainer.

whichwayisup

I do yoga and have never been to a class. Go to youtube, tons of video's there and also you can buy yoga beginners DVD's.

Try meditation (again, youtube) there are some great ones, type in meditation and anxiety, the first bunch that show up are fantastic. Try to aim for ones that are 15-30 minutes, though there's one that's about 10 minutes long that works well and totally relaxes me.

The deep breathing helps too. You can learn to control your anxiety, without meds.

Keep an eye on what you eat and how often. Sugar lows or too much sugar can set off anxiety. Cut coffee out, and make sure to drink warm/hot water with lemon. Ginger tea with honey. Cut back on junk food too and try to eat salads and veggies with meals, it really does make a difference.

Write down (pen and paper) when you feel anxious, your symptoms, what you feel inside, what you are thinking about. Getting it out relieves anxiety.

I know exactly how you feel, been there too many times! It sucks and I'm sorry that you're having to deal with so much at one time.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1
regine_phalange

I'm sorry that you're going through a tough time psychologically. I hope it will go away soon!

A nice herbal tea for anxiety is lemon balm (or melissa). I used to be anxious over my driving classes and it helped a lot to calm my stress and elevate my mood for a couple of hours without bringing drowesiness. You said that you have more severe anxiety, so I don't know if this will work, but it doesn't hurt to give it a try. It tastes nice too, kind of lemoney.

Yoga is also great. You don't need to attend classes, there are many nice videos on the internet. I recommend this

to start with because it's quite calming. And
because it's awesome.
whichwayisup
I spent my whole life pushing down the feelings. It worked for me. When my mom died. I hung on for my dad. When my dad died & I lost my childhood home, the dam burst. Then I lost the ability to control my feelings & they just took over.

Things had been better but just this past two weeks or so it's been really bad again & I have to get a handle on it. Once something sets me off, all the walls close in again & I spiral down.

I know I need more structure in my life, I just have no idea how to go about creating order out of the chaos I have created.

You've had to much emotional stress at one time, did you ever go to grief counseling? I'm so sorry for your losses, especially your parents. To lose one parent is hard enough (my dad passed away in my early 20's) but losing two is even harder. I know too, losing your family home is extremely emotional, it's such a tie to everything and to your parents.

You can do 5 minutes of stretches and various poses throughout the day, it really does make a difference. I do it in the bathroom after brushing my teeth or after a shower. Just to start my day off at peace.

Go as much as you feel comfortable with. I'm not one to join classes, I find it more relaxing to do at home with a friend or on my own.

• Author
Ever hear the phrase it's better to do something imperfectly than nothing flawlessly?.

No & the fact that I can't even understand that concept is part of my problem. I am a perfectionist & making the slightest mistake sets off my anxiety faster than anything. After a mistake I can't shake it off & I become frozen, unable to do much, including leave my house. It's like I don't trust myself to even pick out an outfit. It's a very extreme reaction & I am in search of a new therapist because my present one just tells me to push through it & pick out an outfit the night before. It's not that simple.

Taking long-ish drives always helped me. I mean like get on the freeway for an an hour type thing.

That won't work for me. When I am this anxious it is unsafe for me to operate a car. I can't concentrate to drive. When an attack has hit me while I'm out, & I have tried to drive home, even on a road I have taken my whole life, I have gotten lost. But I do appreciate you shared your tip with me & I can see the general wisdom in clearing my mind.

Thank you to everyone who suggested YouTube & other places I can get videos. I think I will try the classes 1st to learn then go with these options. What may work best for me is a combo -- one class per week then supplements at home alone.

amaysngrace

Maybe try journaling just to start thinking again if you numb out. I know when I'm doing that my mind goes blank so forcing myself to think is a good thing because I'm getting out my thoughts rather than holding them in and letting them come out physically.

That's helped me in the past.

GorillaTheater
No & the fact that I can't even understand that concept is part of my problem. I am a perfectionist & making the slightest mistake sets off my anxiety faster than anything. After a mistake I can't shake it off & I become frozen, unable to do much, including leave my house. It's like I don't trust myself to even pick out an outfit. It's a very extreme reaction & I am in search of a new therapist because my present one just tells me to push through it & pick out an outfit the night before. It's not that simple.

That won't work for me. When I am this anxious it is unsafe for me to operate a car. I can't concentrate to drive. When an attack has hit me while I'm out, & I have tried to drive home, even on a road I have taken my whole life, I have gotten lost. But I do appreciate you shared your tip with me & I can see the general wisdom in clearing my mind.

Thank you to everyone who suggested YouTube & other places I can get videos. I think I will try the classes 1st to learn then go with these options. What may work best for me is a combo -- one class per week then supplements at home alone.

Donni, I hope you know that I hold you in high regard so I don't want you to take this the wrong way, but this sounds serious enough that I don't think you should rule out meds. You'd certainly want to find an MD that will work closely with you to find the right drug and dosage to minimize side effects, and something like that could really help get you over the hump.

I understand the reluctance; I was reluctant as hell to get any kind of real help with a bout of depression I went through a decade or more ago, but it got so bad that I knew I wasn't going to kick it on my own. A few months (less than a year in any case) of ADs along with counseling and an exercise routine did the trick.

I hate to see people suffer because of the reluctance to go the pharm route, even though I understand it.

• Author

Thanks Gorilla

I have tried the meds. First set: I was on a half dose. I became catatonic. I lost the ability to speak or move my extremities. I ended up being admitted to a hospital overnight through an ER.

Second set: I was stoned. There is no other way to put it. I was not functional & again I was on the lowest dose. I do have that med in my house for the truly overwhelming situations.

Third set: I barfed multiple times every day, became dehydrated and almost burned a hole in my esophagus.

At this point I have no faith in the chemicals. I have not yet given yoga a meaningful try so I think I owe it to myself to do that before I go back to the drugs.

It's not just the SSRIs that do this to me. I have odd intense reactions to many meds. I have to be very careful.

• Like 1

ive had anxiety due to alcoholism and for the most part I feel normal but there was some months wehre I couldn't even drive, so I will post some of my tips...I didn't take any meds by the way. I hated it, a lot of times I felt id rather be physically disabled in a wheelchair but at least I could get out of the house

•first and foremost is understanding what is happening, I read a lot into it and bought "the panic attack workbook" from amazon. Highly recommend it. Basically, your body is tricked into thinking there is danger when there isn't. Fully understand what is going on and know that there is nothing physically wrong with you will help you tremendously when you start having an anxiety or panic attack. A lot of the things in that book will sound surprisingly familiar and you might feel as if the author personally spoke to you about your symptoms and the way you feel.

•Exercise helps a lot, it produces similar symptoms such as the sweating, heavy breathing, rapid heartbeat, except you know its because of exercise. For me, it helped my body adapt and react better to similar situations when it was due to anxiety. Im not talking about yoga, but light cardio, start small and light, At first its a little hard because anxiety mixed in with the exercise might confuse your body a bit. Any other symptoms such as fatigue or even if your really hungry sometimes causes confusion and could bring on the anxiety. If you feel uncomfortable then stop doing it until u calm down a bit and then try to start it back up but whatever you do DONT QUIT. When you quit your body will start adapting and learning that in the "flight or fight" mode that anxiety brings, the solution is flight, which you don't want. You want to train your body to FIGHT or face the anxiety symptoms head on.

•I purchased some different natural pills, if you go to any natural health store you will find all sorts of them, on ebay I bought "L theanine" pills, they sell these at walgreens too. Look into the L theanine for yourself. If there is an imbalance of this it can be cause of anxiety.

ive stopped taking them since but over the course of a few days or weeks they could bring back the balance you need. ALso I purchased "seredyn" on ebay its a mix of natural herbs. I used them as well a few times and still have almost half the bottle as I currently do not take anything.

•Vitamins of course your body needs them to work and function

•Exposure works GREAT. start little by little, depending on what gives you anxiety, somtiems grocery stores or driving a certain street, push yourself into it and DO it. Sometimes when I start getting symptoms, I tell myself "F**K it, if im gonna die im gonna die, its not gonna stop me" and I FORCE myself to keep doing it, when before I would back out of whatever situation I was in, basically retreat to my comfort zone.

•Very important not to shelter and hide, u need to confront it. When you get those nasty feelings of dry heaving take some slow deep breaths, make sure you aren't stiffening your muscles.

Theres other things too but im at work if u can post or reply with more details on whats causing this maybe a particular situation or event.

• Like 2
dragonfire13

Yeah I can understand the aversion to meds, they really mess up with your system. Had the same awful side effects, was told you do eventually get used to them but didn't stay on them long enough to find out.

There are natural remedies for things like anxiety and depression eg Brewers yeast, st john's wort, vitamin b complex or a good multi vitamin, though I haven't tried them.

You could also go down the CBT breathing exercises route. I was a real cynic before, but there's this one exercise that definitely helps me when Im feeling overwhelmed and struggling to breathe/hold it together.

You basically:

1) Inhale (five seconds)

2) Exhale (five seconds)

3) Repeat except every time you inhale while imagine yourself “pushing” your breath to the top of your head

I think it's called rhythmic breathing. I can't find the original article but this one has something similar: Learning Deep Breathing | Psych Central

whichwayisup

Yup, once you find the right therapist that you click with and can trust, therapy will work wonders for you!

This is when you need a neighbour or a close friend that can help you out when you have those moments. Even having someone else drive, or walking with you can give you a peace of mind. Kind of like a security blanket.

Great!