How do I avoid refined sugar foods?

Couldn't edit:

There is a book called Sugar Free, that only allows Stevia, as well. I Quit Sugar, you should be able to find through your library, or any sort of well-known bookstore.

• Author
Spoonful of Sugar Free

http://www.iquitsugar.com

I Love Me More Than Sugar | The Book Companion Site

Against All Grain - Delectable paleo recipes to eat & feel great

The Whole30® Program - As featured in the New York Times bestselling book, It Starts With Food

Paleo diet books would probably be a big help to you. I know a woman who switched to a low-sugar, paleo-type diet. I think she drinks "bulletproof" coffee, a lot of chicken/bone broth. She's taking a break from facebook, to catch up on her painting, so I can't message her right now, but I'll see if I can find a guide that she posted.

Thanks for those links Anela! I will check out the Paleo diet too.

You can microwave plain oatmeal, too. I get the big containers of plain oats, and cooking it takes just a little bit longer than cooking the standard sugar-loaded instant packets.

If you've just been diagnosed with diabetes, I'd recommend going to your doctor for suggestions and for recommendations on nutritionists. They can give you good information tailored to your specific needs so you don't have to wade through the internet trying to figure out what's accurate and what isn't. And they can help you figure out meal plans. If you weren't happy with the nutritionist you met with, see if you can meet with someone else, instead. It's important that you get good information and good help.

I'd suggest being careful with refined flour and fruits, like Hope Shimmers said. And be careful with honey, maple syrup, molasses, and raw or light brown or dark brown sugar. Just because it's not identical to sucrose/table sugar doesn't mean you're A-OK to eat a lot of it. You can eat these things but you need to control your diet and watch your blood sugar.

You're absolutely right. I need to find another nutritionist and email my dr. with my concerns from today's nutritionist appt. Now I feel like I have a lot of homework to do, to figure out how to manage type II and be able to lose the weight.

I don't know. I don't go overboard, but I don't like really sweet things, as it is. I mostly used sugar in my tea, and only used a little bit of maple syrup or honey in oatmeal. Raw honey is very sweet, so I only need a small amount, if I use it.

I have read a few books that state you should give up maple syrup and honey, as well. The Hormone Reset Diet only allows Stevia.

I have never used honey except when I get an upper respiratory infection. Then I put it in my tea. But maybe now I'll drink some every day.

• Like 1
  • Author
Couldn't edit:

There is a book called Sugar Free, that only allows Stevia, as well. I Quit Sugar, you should be able to find through your library, or any sort of well-known bookstore.

Ok I'll check out that book I Quit Sugar.

thefooloftheyear

WG

What type of exercise do you do, and how much?

Most people kill themselves trying to maintain a basically unreasonable dietary regimen, when if they really took the time to learn how their body works and how to unleash the potential to actually burn through foods/calories instead of just avoiding them altogether, then they can lead a more enjoyable life..

Ive seen people avoid all forms of strict diabetic regimens and pharmaceutical treatments, by just losing weight and exercising regularly...

TFY

• Like 1
  • Author
WG

What type of exercise do you do, and how much?

Most people kill themselves trying to maintain a basically unreasonable dietary regimen, when if they really took the time to learn how their body works and how to unleash the potential to actually burn through foods/calories instead of just avoiding them altogether, then they can lead a more enjoyable life..

Ive seen people avoid all forms of strict diabetic regimens and pharmaceutical treatments, by just losing weight and exercising regularly...

TFY

Lately? Not much exercise at all. Last year I walked a lot. I walked 3 miles a day for 7 months and only lost 5 pounds. That's it. I was very disappointed because I really did walk 3 miles a day. I know that's probably not much to most avid walkers, but to me, 3 miles was a lot because I normally don't exercise that much anymore. I was athletic in high school and college and then stopped doing community sports after college. I could rejoin community sports leagues here. I have been thinking about doing that again because you can get put into a league A, B, or C, and those are based on activity level (not at all, somewhat, very active).

But I thought weightloss starts with what you eat.

Good breakfast recommendations xxoo. I eat oatmeal with fruit but I'm so bored with it because the oatmeal has a ton of sugar in it since it's instant and not real steel cut oatmeal but the kind you microwave.

Switch to overnight oats! Prepare the night before, eat in the morning. Tons of recipes online!

• Like 1
sweetjasmine

Exercise is important and will help, but if you're diabetic, you absolutely need to watch what you're eating, regardless of how much exercise you're getting.

• Like 1
thefooloftheyear
Lately? Not much exercise at all. Last year I walked a lot. I walked 3 miles a day for 7 months and only lost 5 pounds. That's it. I was very disappointed because I really did walk 3 miles a day. I know that's probably not much to most avid walkers, but to me, 3 miles was a lot because I normally don't exercise that much anymore. I was athletic in high school and college and then stopped doing community sports after college. I could rejoin community sports leagues here. I have been thinking about doing that again because you can get put into a league A, B, or C, and those are based on activity level (not at all, somewhat, very active).

But I thought weightloss starts with what you eat.

The walking was better than nothing, but the body needs more of a stress to get a benefit, and walking generally wont do it..You would need a higher intensity type of exercise to get the benefit...

I know not everyone can or wants to exercise, and that's fine...a diet will/should eventually get you there...Its just that I dont think a diet without effective exercise regimen works in the long haul...Its just too demanding...Everyone eventually cracks when you have to basically starve yourself to lose weight..

I am a firm believer in weight training along with some higher intensity aerobic activity for women...I have advised numerous women on this and they reported results that were better than any other form of exercise they ever did..

Good luck either way...;)

TFY

Hope Shimmers
So much for my nutritionist appointment. My doc diagnosed me type II diabetes and you know more than my nutritionist about glucose. So I can't even eat fruits now? Or potatoes? Or pasta? How do I slow down refined sugars with a protein or fiber? Could you give me a menu example? Do you mean eat cheese with strawberries, or an apple with cheese? Or chicken with potatoes? That kind of combination?

I suppose I should Google type II diabetes menu items to use in my diet to lose weight and keep my blood sugar levels normal and not hypoglycemic since some foods have higher glycemic levels than others. I just learned that today, so the nutritionist wasn't a total failure but it sure feels like it.

Maple syrup and honey are going to have the same exact effect on your glucose levels as refined sugars, sorry to say. Fruits are a little better because there is fiber in the skins. Fiber and protein slow down the rate at which carbohydrates are broken down into sugars, so you avoid getting that 'spike' of glucose which is definitely what you want to avoid with type 2 diabetes.

You will be able to eat fruit and other carbohydrates, but they will be limited. And yes, the more fiber and protein you eat along with simple carbohydrates (which covers both refined sugars and flours) the better, because it slows down the breakdown of those carbohydrates into glucose. If you google this you can see the graphs of how it is slowed down and how it makes sense physiologically.

I'm not allowed to state my profession as it relates to any posts I make here, but I do work with patients with type 2 diabetes.

There are some great nutritionalists who specialize in type 2 diabetes - that would be my recommendation. Good luck and I'm sorry you are having to deal with this.

• Like 2
  • Author
Switch to overnight oats! Prepare the night before, eat in the morning. Tons of recipes online!

Great idea. That would save me a lot of time the next morning. I'll try it and let you know how it turns out.

Exercise is important and will help, but if you're diabetic, you absolutely need to watch what you're eating, regardless of how much exercise you're getting.

I agree. First, I need to plan out what I can/can't eat where refined sugars are concerned so I can avoid those. Then I will tackle the exercise component next.

The walking was better than nothing, but the body needs more of a stress to get a benefit, and walking generally wont do it..You would need a higher intensity type of exercise to get the benefit...

I know not everyone can or wants to exercise, and that's fine...a diet will/should eventually get you there...Its just that I dont think a diet without effective exercise regimen works in the long haul...Its just too demanding...Everyone eventually cracks when you have to basically starve yourself to lose weight..

I am a firm believer in weight training along with some higher intensity aerobic activity for women...I have advised numerous women on this and they reported results that were better than any other form of exercise they ever did..

Good luck either way...;)

TFY

Thanks TFY. Once I get my foods for type II figured out, I'm plan to rejoin some community sports leagues here over the summer and through the fall and winter indoors. I never should have quit. Plus it will be good for me to be social that way.

• Author
Maple syrup and honey are going to have the same exact effect on your glucose levels as refined sugars, sorry to say. Fruits are a little better because there is fiber in the skins. Fiber and protein slow down the rate at which carbohydrates are broken down into sugars, so you avoid getting that 'spike' of glucose which is definitely what you want to avoid with type 2 diabetes.

You will be able to eat fruit and other carbohydrates, but they will be limited. And yes, the more fiber and protein you eat along with simple carbohydrates (which covers both refined sugars and flours) the better, because it slows down the breakdown of those carbohydrates into glucose. If you google this you can see the graphs of how it is slowed down and how it makes sense physiologically.

I'm not allowed to state my profession as it relates to any posts I make here, but I do work with patients with type 2 diabetes.

There are some great nutritionalists who specialize in type 2 diabetes - that would be my recommendation. Good luck and I'm sorry you are having to deal with this.

Wow thank you for that advice Hope Shimmers!

Hope Shimmers

You will become very familiar with simple vs complex carbohydrates, and the glycemic index of foods. It all relates to how quickly or slowly the glucose is metabolized in the body. I promise it will all make sense!

• Like 1
thefooloftheyear

Thanks TFY. Once I get my foods for type II figured out, I'm plan to rejoin some community sports leagues here over the summer and through the fall and winter indoors. I never should have quit. Plus it will be good for me to be social that way.

Good!

Its well documented that exercise, along with watching what you eat, actually will reverse the symptoms...Just diet alone isnt the way to go, IMO...Its too hard to stay that strict over the long haul..

Reversing diabetes is possible - CNN.com

TFY

• Like 1
  • Author

Thanks everyone for your input! :) You've given me a lot of information that I can use to help reverse my situation. I am going to pay a lot more attention to what I eat and try to avoid refined sugars.

• Like 2
whichwayisup

Make your own salad dressing. All you need is oil and balsamic vinegar, oh and a tiny bit of salt and pepper.

• Like 1

If you've been diagnosed with diabetes, you'll have to be aware of all carbs and sugars, not just refined. Find a good nutritionist and pay attention to the advice about reading labels regarding carbs and fiber. I had gestational diabetes with my last pregnancy, which I was able to manage entirely through diet. Choosing carbs that were high in fiber made a huge difference for me. The nutritionist recommended a specific english muffin made by Thomas's which has high fiber. I ate those for breakfast, with eggs.

Walking immediately after eating helped me keep my blood sugar levels stable.

Do you drink alcohol?

• Like 1
amaysngrace
Make your own salad dressing. All you need is oil and balsamic vinegar, oh and a tiny bit of salt and pepper.

And Italian seasoning and locatelli and garlic powder. :love:

Thanks amaysngrace. At least with Type II I don't have to take insulin. I just have to lose the weight and lose it within the year or I could progress to type I which I definitely don't want to happen. I mean, I assume that type II is a progressive condition.

Type 2 can't turn into Type 1 (it's a common misconception and NOT TRUE). You CAN be T2 and on insulin though, if oral meds and diet aren't enough.

My 10 year old is T1. We don't have to limit or watch sugars, but do count carbs. It's hard at first but doable. Definitely look into paleo/primal. It's basically just clean, unprocessed foods.

• Author
Type 2 can't turn into Type 1 (it's a common misconception and NOT TRUE). You CAN be T2 and on insulin though, if oral meds and diet aren't enough.

My 10 year old is T1. We don't have to limit or watch sugars, but do count carbs. It's hard at first but doable. Definitely look into paleo/primal. It's basically just clean, unprocessed foods.

Actually you're incorrect. Type II is a progressive disease and can turn into Type I. I will agree that Type II can take insulin, but we will have to disagree on the other matter. My doctor is an endocrinologist who has extensive experience with Diabetes treatment. Anyway, my thread isn't a debate on Type I or Type II Diabetes. It's about refined sugar.

I have another appt scheduled with a different nutritionist so I will be more prepared with questions etc.,. for that appt. Thanks.

Actually you're incorrect. Type II is a progressive disease and can turn into Type I. I will agree that Type II can take insulin, but we will have to disagree on the other matter. My doctor is an endocrinologist who has extensive experience with Diabetes treatment. Anyway, my thread isn't a debate on Type I or Type II Diabetes. It's about refined sugar.

I have another appt scheduled with a different nutritionist so I will be more prepared with questions etc.,. for that appt. Thanks.

T1 is autoimmune. My pediatric endo specializes in autoimmune disorders and diabetes as well.

The only reason I bring it up is for correct education. But I will listen to my own endo and wish you luck.

Hope Shimmers

Just to chime in here, in case it's helpful - and [disclaimer] I am just a forum member so I don't mean to give information in any context other than that [/disclaimer]. Actually you are both right in a way.

Type 1 and 2 are very different beasts with different etiologies, exclusive of each other. Type 1 can't turn into Type 2, and Type 2 can't turn into Type 1. The confusion comes because in earlier years Type 1 diabetes was called "insulin-dependent" diabetes and Type 2 was called "non-insulin dependent" diabetes. With those terms, Type 2 with the older name COULD turn into Type 1 with the older name, because Type 2 is progressive and can eventually require insulin. That's why the terminology was changed to distinguish this.

Type 1 (also previously called "juvenile onset" because it almost always occurs in kids/adolescents) is due to an autoimmune-based destruction of pancreatic islet cells so that no insulin is secreted at all. Type 2, on the other hand, is characterized by lack of insulin sensitivity. These people actually have higher than normal insulin levels, but the insulin progressively becomes desensitized and does not do its job. It starts for various reasons, and over time the insulin becomes more and more desensitized, and the body has a positive feedback reaction to this by pumping out more and still more insulin in response to a glucose load - ultimately resulting in even more insulin desensitization. This goes on over time and eventually, the insulin just doesn't work at all anymore, even though it's there in high levels. This is when it turns into Type 2 diabetes. The process is called hyperinsulinemia/insulin resistance.

I read that you don't want to get into a debate about Type 1 vs Type 2 but I just wanted to point that out, in case it's helpful.

The treatments for Type 2 are focused on increasing the sensitivity to insulin again (these don't work for Type 1 since obviously there is no insulin there to sensitize - therefore Type 1 patients always and forever require insulin). But there are some oral and injectable medications that do increase insulin sensitivity. Also exercise increases insulin sensitivity, separate from that of weight loss (in a direct method not through weight loss). Weigh loss also does this, and the diet of course.

I am glad to hear you got a different nutritionalist! There are usually classes (some long, but worth it) to teach you specifics about dietary management of Type 2 where you get diet plans, learn to count carbs, learn about glycemic index, etc. They are worthwhile if you can find one. Good luck - it is an adjustment for sure. It sounds like you are doing great so far. I wish you the best!

Edited by Hope Shimmers
I was just diagnosed type II diabetic today. Ergh. Plus, I'm low in specific vitamins and minerals. So I'm also taking a multivitamin, extra Iron, extra D. I don't even drink alcohol or fruit juice, just water and milk and tea. That's it. How did this happen to me? Stress? Middle age?

its genetic mostly

• Author

I don't like being preached at. So I'm done with this thread. Thanks.

• Author
Just to chime in here, in case it's helpful - and [disclaimer] I am just a forum member so I don't mean to give information in any context other than that [/disclaimer]. Actually you are both right in a way.

Type 1 and 2 are very different beasts with different etiologies, exclusive of each other. Type 1 can't turn into Type 2, and Type 2 can't turn into Type 1. The confusion comes because in earlier years Type 1 diabetes was called "insulin-dependent" diabetes and Type 2 was called "non-insulin dependent" diabetes. With those terms, Type 2 with the older name COULD turn into Type 1 with the older name, because Type 2 is progressive and can eventually require insulin. That's why the terminology was changed to distinguish this.

Type 1 (also previously called "juvenile onset" because it almost always occurs in kids/adolescents) is due to an autoimmune-based destruction of pancreatic islet cells so that no insulin is secreted at all. Type 2, on the other hand, is characterized by lack of insulin sensitivity. These people actually have higher than normal insulin levels, but the insulin progressively becomes desensitized and does not do its job. It starts for various reasons, and over time the insulin becomes more and more desensitized, and the body has a positive feedback reaction to this by pumping out more and still more insulin in response to a glucose load - ultimately resulting in even more insulin desensitization. This goes on over time and eventually, the insulin just doesn't work at all anymore, even though it's there in high levels. This is when it turns into Type 2 diabetes. The process is called hyperinsulinemia/insulin resistance.

I read that you don't want to get into a debate about Type 1 vs Type 2 but I just wanted to point that out, in case it's helpful.

The treatments for Type 2 are focused on increasing the sensitivity to insulin again (these don't work for Type 1 since obviously there is no insulin there to sensitize - therefore Type 1 patients always and forever require insulin). But there are some oral and injectable medications that do increase insulin sensitivity. Also exercise increases insulin sensitivity, separate from that of weight loss (in a direct method not through weight loss). Weigh loss also does this, and the diet of course.

I am glad to hear you got a different nutritionalist! There are usually classes (some long, but worth it) to teach you specifics about dietary management of Type 2 where you get diet plans, learn to count carbs, learn about glycemic index, etc. They are worthwhile if you can find one. Good luck - it is an adjustment for sure. It sounds like you are doing great so far. I wish you the best!

Like I said, I don't need to be preached at. This thread was about refined sugars. I got the info I needed. But I'm done with this thread now.