How do I avoid refined sugar foods?

Hope Shimmers
Like I said, I don't need to be preached at. This thread was about refined sugars. I got the info I needed. But I'm done with this thread now.

I didn't mean to preach, so I apologize that you took it that way. I was just trying to help. Good luck.

• Like 1
loveweary11

OP: You are already doing fairly well.

You don't have to cut chocolate chip cookies out, but only 1 or 2 per day.

That coffee thing?? Have to dump it if it's a daily habit, Check the calories in it.

I wasn't going to post in this anymore but I apologize writergal, it wasn't my intention to preach but rather educate. There are so many misconceptions between the two, and advocating for my kid as long as I have it just comes naturally to me now. We have researched this disease looking for cures and treatments and anything else to make her life better, so obviously I am too involved. Please don't leave your own thread because of me. Again, I apologize and will back out.

SycamoreCircle

My understanding is that sugar is potting soil for that wild, flowering wonder CANCER.

I also understand that heavy consumption of bread and flour, which converts to sugar in your body, contributes to a lot of unwanted things, specifically arthritis in later years.

I make an easy, tasty spaghetti sauce which is much cheaper than what you buy in stores.

Sautee onions and garlic in olive oil.

Add one can of tomato paste.

Dilute with water to desired thickness.

Add oregano, parsley, thyme, dash red pepper, salt.

You can throw in a little bit of red wine, if you've got some around.

Fresh vegetables like bell pepper, carrot, or mushroom always enliven the sauce.

A teaspoon of honey perks it up, as well.

• Author

Hope and SJS, I'm sorry that I snapped at you both, as you were only sharing your own personal and professional opinions to provide me with more information. Clearly, my endocrinologist is WRONG that type II can progress to Type I when insulin is introduced. Both types of D are prevalent in my family history (past and recent). Refined sugar is one of a few food-related worries for me now that I have to deal with this stupid Type II diagnosis. It means I could be at risk for other health conditions.

So I hope that you both will accept my apology here. I get that you were just trying to help. Neither of you have to cut back in any future threads where I post, just because I reacted defensively here. It's all good, at least from my end anyway.

• Like 1
Hope Shimmers
Hope and SJS, I'm sorry that I snapped at you both, as you were only sharing your own personal and professional opinions to provide me with more information. Clearly, my endocrinologist is WRONG that type II can progress to Type I when insulin is introduced. Both types of D are prevalent in my family history (past and recent). Refined sugar is one of a few food-related worries for me now that I have to deal with this stupid Type II diagnosis. It means I could be at risk for other health conditions.

So I hope that you both will accept my apology here. I get that you were just trying to help. Neither of you have to cut back in any future threads where I post, just because I reacted defensively here. It's all good, at least from my end anyway.

It's totally fine, and I apologize because I am sure it did come off as preaching. I really just thought it might help to have the background information.

For what it's worth, I think your endocrinologist was not wrong but was just thinking in terms of the 'old' diagnosis out of habit. It is a hard habit to get out of when it was that way for so many years, so it's terminology only and not anything that reflects on his skill level at all.

It is a lot for you to deal with all at once, especially with what you have gone through in your family. You are intelligent so you will do great, but it is very stressful nonetheless. I wish you only the best!

• Author

Thanks Hope!

loveweary: yeah the decaf coffee morning habit has to go. I will start drinking more decaf tea instead.

Sycamore: thanks for the recipe.

Alphamale: yep it is genetic as both sides of my family have died from Type I and suffer with Type II.

Rejected Rosebud: I have learned to be wary of what food distributors put on their label, the way they disguise chemicals and preservatives in foods is unbelievable. I have to learn what to recognize the other "names" for refined sugar on food labels.

Hope Shimmers

About refined sugars - one of the things I learned is to watch out for low-fat products. When they take the fat out, they replace it either with sugar (usually) or chemicals, or both. Yuck...

I just use whole-fat products sparingly. If you look on the label under carbs and compare (for instance) low-fat ranch dressing with regular, you will see the carbs (sugar) are much higher with the low-fat version.

• Like 1
  • Author

Yes I heard that the 'low fat sugar' claims is bogus and those food projects tend to have twice the amount of fat in them. I've learned that this is definitely a touchy subject for me, so I'm sorry about that. Last apology...

I found out these foods have refined sugar :(

tomato-based pasta sauce (unless it's made naturally I suppose)

candy (I don't eat it except for imported Smarties and Crunches)

cake (don't like it so I don't eat it)

donuts (gave those up already)

cookies (I can't say goodbye to chocolate chip cookies!)

Lemonade (any fruit juice)

flavored coffee (noooooo goodbye dark chocolate mocha!)

smoothies (meh, ok no biggie)

soda (haven't had a soda in about 20 years)

sugary breakfast cereal (I don't eat cereal anyway)

ketchup (huh?)

barbeque sauce (don't eat it)

salad dressing (but I use vinagrette)

canned fruits and vegetables (yuck, I only eat fresh fruits and veggies)

frozen dinners (yuck, don't eat those)

I haven't had any of these things in YEARS. The only thing I've maybe have had is the Trader Joe's BBQ sauce and just because it actually has ingredients. Seriously, any of these things you listed are a death trap. And almost all of these are just "extras". They aren't part of an essential diet at all.

It's all garbage.

My dad was diagnosed Type II and it scared the bejeezus out of me, so I got informed, so that I won't go through the same thing. Funnily enough, cutting out a lot of that crap... refined sugars AND processed foods, actually helped me lose about 80 pounds or more.

But I thought weightloss starts with what you eat.

It STARTS with what you eat, but it doesn't end there.

Your body will adjust to what you are eating and eventually plateau. I'd say 80% of my weight loss was diet, and the rest was working out.

Even walking 3 miles will eventually yield you no results. It helps, but your body gets used to it.