Do NOT give two weeks notice

I think it depends on the company.

The place I work for now is so nice to me. If I ever left I'd like to leave on good terms.

Also, I could see them countering me with some offer if I told them I was leaving.. so there are benefits when you give some notice.

In the end if the company is or has been respectful to you. Then, I think you should also be respectful back towards them.

• Like 1
I think it depends on the company.

The place I work for now is so nice to me. If I ever left I'd like to leave on good terms.

Also, I could see them countering me with some offer if I told them I was leaving.. so there are benefits when you give some notice.

In the end if the company is or has been respectful to you. Then, I think you should also be respectful back towards them.

My job required 3 weeks notification and I don't have a issue with that because they offer me a job 2 weeks after my unemployment ran out. So I will awlays be grateful for that because I was close to being back home with my mom which would have killed me

• Like 1
thefooloftheyear

Here is the view from the other side....

Ive been an employer for more than 25 years...

I don't have that much turnover, but if I let someone go, that's it..Im generally very good to my people, and while most have offered, I dont allow them to give notice...If they want to give notice, then I instruct them politely to just leave...I am never "in the lurch" because Ill do any and every job in my company...No one is indispensable or irreplaceable.....ever....

Most employers dont want a "lame duck" type of employee around...During the so called "two week notice" period, most people arent mature enough to handle it properly and instead, just come and go as they please, pollute their work environment, etc...On rare occasions, I have had guys stay...but only because I knew they were of high character and took it seriously....They worked the two weeks at 110% as always..But those folks are very rare..

Its nice to offer...Most people that just walk off jobs are looked at unfavorably, but it doesnt really matter to most employers....Not as much as the employee likes to think it does, anyway..

TFY

• Like 2
Here is the view from the other side....

Ive been an employer for more than 25 years...

I don't have that much turnover, but if I let someone go, that's it..Im generally very good to my people, and while most have offered, I dont allow them to give notice...If they want to give notice, then I instruct them politely to just leave...I am never "in the lurch" because Ill do any and every job in my company...No one is indispensable or irreplaceable.....ever....

Most employers dont want a "lame duck" type of employee around...During the so called "two week notice" period, most people arent mature enough to handle it properly and instead, just come and go as they please, pollute their work environment, etc...On rare occasions, I have had guys stay...but only because I knew they were of high character and took it seriously....They worked the two weeks at 110% as always..But those folks are very rare..

Its nice to offer...Most people that just walk off jobs are looked at unfavorably, but it doesnt really matter to most employers....Not as much as the employee likes to think it does, anyway..

TFY

I worked for a guy who I was afraid would just let me go right then and then I would be out of pay for 2 weeks until the next job. My current employer actually said they do not let people go even if they know they are looking for other work, so long as they give notice.