Reaching out to God in Grief

• Author
autumnnight

The loss was not death. It was loss of a relationship, and quite out of the blue, with a side of being cheated on.

But I think it was just one of many "cascades" of loss that have left me utterly dependent on God, so to speak. I have no control over what happens with my job, relationships, even privacy.

My oldest has noticed my change in focus, and she and I have had several talks about God, His sufficiency, His mercy, His love, etc. This in itself is a wonderful thing because there for awhile I wondered about her heart and life.

I love that passage in II Cor. 12 where God says to Paul "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." Then Paul says he will rejoice :for when I am weak, then I am strong."

It is when we forget what it is like to be weak or we convince ourselves that we are abobe weakness that the real problems ensue.

TheFinalWord

This

always seems to remind me to stay focused on Christ no matter what storms are going on around me :)
pureinheart
The loss was not death. It was loss of a relationship, and quite out of the blue, with a side of being cheated on.

But I think it was just one of many "cascades" of loss that have left me utterly dependent on God, so to speak. I have no control over what happens with my job, relationships, even privacy.

My oldest has noticed my change in focus, and she and I have had several talks about God, His sufficiency, His mercy, His love, etc. This in itself is a wonderful thing because there for awhile I wondered about her heart and life.

I love that passage in II Cor. 12 where God says to Paul "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." Then Paul says he will rejoice :for when I am weak, then I am strong."

It is when we forget what it is like to be weak or we convince ourselves that we are abobe weakness that the real problems ensue.

Thanks for the clarification, and in thinking (for me only) there wasn't much difference with a major broken relationship and death, coupled with the side of infidelity... wow that killed relationships for me.

Well, now I know for sure I don't have anything decent to add due to the fact that I am so done with romantic relationships, just too many games. Having the Lord as my husband works real well:)

LOL, I totally get the Apostle Paul now when he spoke about it's better to be single.

TheFinalWord

So sorry to hear that. :( Such a painful betrayal. I will keep you in my prayers.

You've gotten some very thoughtful feedback from others. My heart goes out to you, and I'll pray for you, AN.

Please remember that almost everyone goes through a difficult breakup at some point. We've all been in your shoes. It's human to break down and embarrass ourselves by crying at inopportune times, even when we're trying our hardest not to. Don't beat yourself up over that. In time, you'll heal and feel better.

I believe there's something to be learned from everything and everyone who comes through our lives--even when it involves something as terrible as a betrayal of trust. It may not be obvious immediately, but in due time we realize we've grown from the experience. I also believe that the things that bring us grief ultimately help us to recognize and appreciate future blessings and happiness. It helps us fully experience joy when it comes our way. Even here, I already see one blessing--the discussions you're having with your daughter about faith.

You will get through this! There will be a time when your heart will no longer feel heavy and broken. Sometimes we look and worry that we won't be able to bear whatever grief we currently face, especially when it looks as if it will endure a long time. We just can't imagine how we'll get through the experience. But God will give you sufficient grace to get through the day. He'll be there the next day and the next, to get you through tomorrow and the day after that...until you've made it through to the other side and learned whatever lessons were necessary along your journey. He'll always be there for you.

(((HUGS)))

There is so much wisdom in what you say here and your other posts in this thread. I hope you find peace.

• Like 1
  • Author
autumnnight

I love most of all the fact that TRUTH is never swayed by opinion or lopsided theology :)

Mrs. John Adams

Autumn..I am sorry you are going through this. Know that you always bring a smile to my face...and I pray for you often.

• Like 1
  • Author
autumnnight

I am glad God is patient. I cling to him, sing to Him...then take two steps back and nurse the wounds. Then I indulge in "his" desire to say he's sorry again, I let myself remember the good before the very bad. And I have to start over.

Meanwhile the few close friends, my circle of women who lean on each other, are each going through things of their own. I don't think that's an accident. I think I need to relearn to "rest in God alone" like Psalm 62 says. This feels like a crossroads, one where I can really really grow, or one where I once again pick up the "it's not fairs" of my life and let them color me. I really don't want to do the latter.

Empathy. That is something I think about a lot. God is giving me the opportunity to develop empathy without defensiveness, without feeling like I have to hide and say "but". I can't really explain that, but He knows what I mean.

i a christian 6 months ago i lost my parents in a car accident they were killed instantly the only reason i can live through this is god i pray to god i study the bible .god will get you through pray to god ask him to comfort you and to give you strength because god can give you the strength you need to get through this smilkesx

• Author
autumnnight
i a christian 6 months ago i lost my parents in a car accident they were killed instantly the only reason i can live through this is god i pray to god i study the bible .god will get you through pray to god ask him to comfort you and to give you strength because god can give you the strength you need to get through this smilkesx

Thank you for your post. I am so sorry for your loss. You are right; leaning on Him is the only way to survive.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author
autumnnight

Over the next week the reality of a lot of my grief is going to come to an irreversible head. I can't explain any better, but I would appreciate a lot of prayer over the next several days.