Are tanning beds/salons dangerous?

As far as I know these tanning beds have been banned in our country for years. Too many people died from the cancers from overexposure.

I get a spray tan at the beautician. You can even get organic vegetable based ones - yum!

I'm not a complete health freak but if I have a healthier alternative which gets me the same thing (IMO a tan) then I'll opt for the latter.

Have fun on your cruise!

Lion Heart.

A fake tan is NOT your body's way of responding to injury, it's just the DHA that reacts with the amino acids in the dead layer of your skin.

If it's a spray tan then it's absolutely fine.

Regarding SPF I recommend using La Roche Posay ANTHELIOS XL

SPF 50+. You only need a few drops mixed in with your usual moisturiser and it very matte and not greasy/white like others.

If it's a UV/sun bed type then there is a risk if you do it frequently. If you only use it occasionally then it's probably alight, but most people actually develop an addiction. I think people should also remember that many people get skin cancer without ever using a sun bed, maybe many of those that use sun beds and get skin cancer would have had it regardless.

I have never understood the concept of getting a fake tan so you can get a real tan. It sounds absurd to me.

Many people are self-concious of being pale, and they know that they can only get a tan by being outside, but being outside means showing your paleness without your shirt. In the end they do a fake tan at home so they can get the ball rolling and go outside.

It's like a fat person trying to loose weight at home so that he/she can go to the gym and not feel self-conscious.

• Like 1

A little tanning is okay in moderation. I usually go about 3 times a year, to get a light tan for the summer. Fortunately for me, my tans seem to last.

The people who have monthly memberships and are there all the time are the ones at higher risk.

Many people are self-concious of being pale, and they know that they can only get a tan by being outside, but being outside means showing your paleness without your shirt. In the end they do a fake tan at home so they can get the ball rolling and go outside.

It's like a fat person trying to loose weight at home so that he/she can go to the gym and not feel self-conscious.

I've always found this really amusing, because in the majority of Asian countries, the beauty industry makes a fortune by selling 'skin whitening/lightening creams'. It really reinforces the fact that cultural stereotypical perception of beauty is often shaped by what is most difficult to attain. Similar to young girls in certain African villages being 'fattened for beauty' vs the extremely skinny models in modern cultures.

• Like 1
  • Author
autumnnight
As far as I know these tanning beds have been banned in our country for years. Too many people died from the cancers from overexposure.

I get a spray tan at the beautician. You can even get organic vegetable based ones - yum!

I'm not a complete health freak but if I have a healthier alternative which gets me the same thing (IMO a tan) then I'll opt for the latter.

Have fun on your cruise!

Lion Heart.

I didn't go on the cruise. I have a bit of color though because I have been taking long walks in my neighborhood with normal SPF on. I will always use a recommended but not snobby and overpriced SPF when I am outside for any length of time. But I will never be the type to obsess over it. I will also continue to drink my occasional coke zero, my occasional sandwich on white bread, and I will at times decide to use the elevator instead of the stairs.

I like to live life on the edge :)

And BTW, I hear ya on the spray tan. I just wish they didn't smell so funny.