So ladies, how much influence does a man's job have in whether you will date him?

Uhh, with most surgeons, it's the "great personality" part that's the problem.

lol how so? I highly doubt every surgeon out there is a jerk.

No influence.

While I do prefer he has a job of some kind, it doesn't matter to me what it is.

I've never asked a man what he does for a living. I've never asked a man what he makes. I've never cared.

Most of the men I've dated were jobless in the past, and that did end up burning me when I was giving out hundreds of dollars to them to help them out. I don't want to do that again, so a man having a job and being able to pay his own bills is where I draw the line.

I have a big deal prestigious job. The LAST thing I wanted was another guy in my industry. When DH & I met, he was woefully under employed. The Guy I dated before him was an out of work actor making ends meet (not) by working PT at a deli.

I do prefer employed & ambitious to slothful but the exact job title isn't that relevant.

What a lot of women don't account for is that guys with these prestigious jobs & lots of money will almost always put work 1st.

Think back to the Super Bowl. There was all this controversy about whether some player was going to play or be there for the birth of his baby. Sorry but it's no brainer -- the game. The mother of his child is at least partly in love with the money & prestige. To keep those means he plays not holds her hand. It's a trade off.

• Like 1

Don't care what a guys job is as long as its not illegal he could work at Mc Donalds and I wouldn't care as long as hes doing something active, anything.

• Like 1
Matters to a certain extent. I like to date smart/nerdy men and stay away from sales professionals (just personal preference). As long as they make a decent living I'm okay. I also stay away from men who are gone for long periods and travel too much. I personally travel for work so I just want to be with someone who's a homebody.

I did too! Sales was the only definite no for me. Glad to see I wasn't alone in that. :)

Ruby Slippers

I've had relationships with men ranging from $20K/year to millionaire. My feelings on the question cemented in my relationship with my last boyfriend, a gorgeous, arrogant high earner, that I would rather live a simple life with a man who adores me, than live a lavish life with a king who doesn't really treasure me. I told him that, and I meant it.

I want a family, so as long as he earns enough to help me provide for our family sufficiently, I'll consider him.

I pick love over money any day of the week.

• Like 2

I am a vegetarian and would never date a butcher, slaughterhouse worker, fishmerchant , or anyone involved in "bloodsports" or factory farming.

I wouldn't want a saleman or anyone heavily involved in politics, as both tend to be "economical with the truth" in order to be sucessful.

I would also avoid anyone in a high pressure/high responsibility job such as fire service, police, physician, as these careers have a high burnout rate among their personnel.

However, as others have said, at the end of the day it's personality and chemistry that matter.:)

• Like 1

I'm an Accountant, the closest to that profession who I dated was a Marketing assistant when I met him.

Aside from that I have dated insurance admin, a guy in an army band who was also a medic in Iraq, truck drivers and one guy who was a chef but I later discovered he had been unemployed for years.

As long as a man is employed and able to support himself I don't care.

I would rather date a school teacher than a surgeon.

I have never dated anybody who was rich nor even well off.

Meaning would a surgeon have a better shot than a school teacher? A corporate office guy more than a student in his 30's? I think you get the picture.

None whatsoever....unless he's a professional athlete in which case I wouldn't be interested at all much less waste my time going on a date. They are just dicks.

• Like 2

Buddist,

unless he's a professional athlete in which case I wouldn't be interested at all much less waste my time going on a date. They are just dicks.

:lmao:

• Like 1

You don't need to ask this question on a message board, you won't get honest answers anyway.

Just observe the world around you and you'll see how things work :)

:lmao: at those saying high earners should lie to hide their wealth from potential gold diggers... Have you ever dated a woman? Finding out what a guy makes is priority number one once she knows she may want to marry him or even have him as a serious boyfriend.

There are some people I won't date, but those jobs include both high and low incomes - it's really a matter of compatible mindsets and lifestyles.

As for your examples, surgeon and teacher are both fine. 'Corporate office guy' (that's a huge job description!) probably fine. Student in 30s would depend entirely on why and how.

strawberrypancake

Everytime I am single again after a relationship, I tell myself, next time I 'shoot higher', maybe get a boyfriend with a secure job who makes a good amount of moneyzz. But oh well, here I found myself again being with an artist.

Although my last boyfriend had great potentials of going into politics and being a big shot within the next 3-5 years to come, I was very much appalled by the fact that he had never read a book in his life.

It comes down to who will make you happy. And money is not an aspect for me when it comes to happiness. Besides, I'd like to think that I myself am responsible for my own financial stability, hence why I am getting a political science education now rather than pursuing my artistic dreams... I am not dependent on a man to fulfil my dreams, and I won't let a man be dependent on me, ever again (been there, done that).

So no, I don't have a preference per se, but I like to think there is a pattern in my dating history, which shows that I usually am drawn to the artistic kind rather than a money-man.

I am ok with that.

Edited by strawberrypancake