What if your date doesn't like (or can't bond with) your pet?

BlackOpsZombieGirl

SawtoothMars
So the medical equipment field is rife with people mortgaging their houses to pay for their pets surgery (I have pet insurance btw, and I'm sure a lot of people here do as well that would prevent such high bills) while their dying kids languish and suffer? That seems odd. As a decade long dog owner who knows many other pet owners, I have never seen this before. I'm not saying this particular situation has never happened, I'm sure it has. But whatever problem you are referring to is either in your own head or totally blown out of proportion. Pet people are by and large more empathetic and caring towards all living things in my opinion.

Ok first... you seem to be unaware that many pieces of equipment are used both in the medical and veterinary space. Having access to both allows you to see how patients react to bills and situations.

This is about expectations. The same people who pay $15,000 cash for their dog also expect insurance to cover their kids 100% and are upset enough to walk out when it doesn't happen.

I do not agree that pet people are more empathetic towards humans... I find them the be much less empathetic. The kind of people that want loggers families unemployed and starving to save a few spotted owls. Pet people tend to value pets over people. It's kind of their defining trait.

When I adopted my pets, I made a commitment to care for them throughout their whole lives as long as I'm able to. Anyone who'd think that's crazy would never be compatible with me.

The people who balk at paying more than $20 for any kind of medical treatment for their pet far, far, far outnumber this mysterious demographic that lets their children die while paying 5 times the typical cost for a hip replacement for their dog. Every vet hospital sees multiple people from the former group every single freaking day. My personal favorites are the ones who pay $1,000 for designer puppies and then complain that the rabies vaccine is too expensive.

I would say that you are correct that most normal people don't like paying for veterinary treatment.

Pet people however can and do pay silly high sums for medical treatment. In fact we take advantage of this trend when selling equipment for vets who in urban areas are making more money than pediatricians.

I worked with a Vet clinic in a wealthy neighborhood and both vets make well over 300k/yr. The average pediatrician in the area is somewhere in the 140k range.

Vets are primarily a cash business and the regulations on what kind of procedures they can do is less stringent... these factor into that... but it's mostly because upper middle class pet people are willing to pay huge sums.

yeah that doesn't sound COMPLETELY MADE UP or anything :rolleyes:

OP I wouldn't worry about it too much. The % of people who "hate" or don't get along w/ pets is ime minimal. Most people like animals!

Those are both situations I've personally viewed.

• Author
BlackOpsZombieGirl
Ok first... you seem to be unaware that many pieces of equipment are used both in the medical and veterinary space. Having access to both allows you to see how patients react to bills and situations.

This is about expectations. The same people who pay $15,000 cash for their dog also expect insurance to cover their kids 100% and are upset enough to walk out when it doesn't happen.

I do not agree that pet people are more empathetic towards humans... I find them the be much less empathetic. The kind of people that want loggers families unemployed and starving to save a few spotted owls. Pet people tend to value pets over people. It's kind of their defining trait.

I would say that you are correct that most normal people don't like paying for veterinary treatment.

Pet people however can and do pay silly high sums for medical treatment. In fact we take advantage of this trend when selling equipment for vets who in urban areas are making more money than pediatricians.

I worked with a Vet clinic in a wealthy neighborhood and both vets make well over 300k/yr. The average pediatrician in the area is somewhere in the 140k range.

Vets are primarily a cash business and the regulations on what kind of procedures they can do is less stringent... these factor into that... but it's mostly because upper middle class pet people are willing to pay huge sums.

Those are both situations I've personally viewed.

I hope what you have experienced is an attitude that exists with the minority! It would be a terrible thing if a person cared (and valued) their pet more than their own child(ren)!!:eek:

SawtoothMars
I hope what you have experienced is an attitude that exists with the minority! It would be a terrible thing if a person cared (and valued) their pet more than their own child(ren)!!:eek:.

I grew up with pets my entire life. I used to own 2 chihuahuas. I also did some work with a charity that provided food and clothing items for impoverished families.

I remember vividly a day where we had more families in need than food available. I had a $40 bag of dog food in the back of my car and kept thinking... if we took the 60 Billion we spent every year on pet food and gave half to starving kids we could probably end world hunger.

Now I know this isn't going to happen... but it's the key reason I opt out of owning pets today. In the past pets helped us perform tasks and protect our stuff. Today most pets are vanity pets. I realize this just represents people making choices... and most people would choose their dog over a kid they don't know or can't see.

Hi BOGZ

I have never encountered a situation where a dog/cat did not like me. Some liked me better than others but that is reality. None of the dogs or cats disliked me.

Actually one ex had a cat that she said hated men and would hiss at them and run and hide. That cat was very friendly with me, my ex-girlfriend was amazed. You never know.

I pretty much love all animals and have ever since I was a kid. It's not just a love thing for me. I feel it is a duty and a calling and an obligation to try to help when I can. That's what anyone would have to understand who would want me to give up a pet. It's not just a pet . It would be my whole belief system, my religion, my ethics, and I would never be able to live with myself if I sacrificed a little being who loved and needed me for one who can get along just fine on his own. And I could not love someone who seriously wanted to break my heart by taking my pet away.

I get I'm a bit of a freak because I don't like to be around children very much, so I guess I can understand why not everyone wants to be around animals (though they're SO much easier and not nearly as demanding). So as I've said before I have a couple of friends who don't like them, but I do consider it a deficit. And I'm sure they consider me preferring not to be around kids much a deficit as well, and it is a weakness I believe. But the difference is if their kid was in trouble, I'd do anything to help because I don't hate kids and I don't want their parents to be heartbroken -- and the pet haters I've known wouldn't lift a finger.

I grew up with pets my entire life. I used to own 2 chihuahuas. I also did some work with a charity that provided food and clothing items for impoverished families.

I remember vividly a day where we had more families in need than food available. I had a $40 bag of dog food in the back of my car and kept thinking... if we took the 60 Billion we spent every year on pet food and gave half to starving kids we could probably end world hunger.

Now I know this isn't going to happen... but it's the key reason I opt out of owning pets today. In the past pets helped us perform tasks and protect our stuff. Today most pets are vanity pets. I realize this just represents people making choices... and most people would choose their dog over a kid they don't know or can't see.

My belief is that people who can't take care of their kids shouldn't have them and that they perpetuate a bad cycle by doing so. I feel it is the parents' obligation to take care of their kids on a daily basis (barring horrific events) and that they should be made to do so or stop having them.

Animals have no one assigned to their care and have no options. To me, they are the truly downtrodden. So I only donate to animal charities. World hunger could be cured by world birth control.

sweetjasmine
but it's mostly because upper middle class pet people are willing to pay huge sums.

...and these are the people would rather let their child DIE than pay $20 for medication?

Yeah, nope.

TigerLilly78
. World hunger could be cured by world birth control.

Same could be said for all the homeless animals but yet we have all the "animal lovers" back yard breeding like crazy "for the love of the breed" of course..:rolleyes:

I like animals and have dated pet owners (I have had pets at times, too), if they are reasonable and rational people, take good care of their animals, and have trained them properly (mostly applies to dogs). Personally, I now prefer the freedom afforded by not owning pets. And in a LTR, I will not accept being in second place after someone's pets - or kids! - beyond their legitimate needs, of course. If that's a problem, so be it.

• Author
BlackOpsZombieGirl
I like animals and have dated pet owners (I have had pets at times, too), if they are reasonable and rational people, take good care of their animals, and have trained them properly (mostly applies to dogs). Personally, I now prefer the freedom afforded by not owning pets. And in a LTR, I will not accept being in second place after someone's pets - or kids! - beyond their legitimate needs, of course. If that's a problem, so be it.

I guess I can understand why you feel that you experience a sense of freedom of not owning a pet, because they do require lots of care, attention and monetary support. However...along with the freedom you're experiencing, you're missing out on receiving so much unconditional love, snuggles, cuddles, companionship and fun!:love:

Same could be said for all the homeless animals but yet we have all the "animal lovers" back yard breeding like crazy "for the love of the breed" of course..:rolleyes:

I think all dog and cat breeding should be illegal, so we agree on that. It's not the good pet owners who let that happen. It's the bad ones.

And most dogs and cats are homeless and they are also jobless and can't go get themselves spayed, but a whole lot of the animal charity money goes to spay and neuter. That is the focus. A human can get birth control and also give it to their teens.

• Like 1

My pets are my closest family members. Disowning them would be like disowning my sibling, not going to happen. Especially not for a stranger who may or may not stick around. Any man who hates cats just isn't someone I want in my life. I do judge a man's character by how well he treats other species. It's easy to be kind and nice to your own kind. But if he displays some superiority complex towards an animal? No thanks.

• Like 3

Deal breaker for me I have many pets and I work with animals. I have no problems meeting other animal lovers though

• Like 2
  • Author
BlackOpsZombieGirl
My pets are my closest family members. Disowning them would be like disowning my sibling, not going to happen. Especially not for a stranger who may or may not stick around. Any man who hates cats just isn't someone I want in my life. I do judge a man's character by how well he treats other species. It's easy to be kind and nice to your own kind. But if he displays some superiority complex towards an animal? No thanks.

I'm going to feel the same way when I get my kitten and my love for her will grow stronger as she grows up. Of course, everyone has the right to not like cats - dates included. But, if I sense - or if any date I have tells me - that they aren't a "cat person" or they outright hate cats, or thinks less of me because I have one (or God forbid suggests or even hints at having me get rid of her), then that'll just mean that we aren't compatible and they can go on their merry way while I go on mine. Once I adopt my precious kitten, she will be a part of my family forever; and that will ALWAYS trump a stranger's dislike or hatred for MY pet!

• Like 1

I see this way. The pet you own will always be there for you no matter what happens. Relationships come and goes. New GF in my case would have to understand I have GSD and I've raised him since he was 8 weeks old. I am not giving him up. So you either can deal with him or not. But that's my story. Frankly he's very nice and friendly he does like to jump on new people but lately he doesn't do that like he did when he was younger. Again not everyone going to bond with your pet but you should get rid of your pet because of that issue.

• Like 1