Would you leave your sick teenage child behind to on a trip?

• Author

The doctor may have some reason to go 'meh...don't worry about it, it is just...'. Or the doctor may have said the reverse. 'This is a major concern and...'.

The doctor did not go meh. The pharmacist did. The doctor has her scheduled on additional batteries of test. He would not do that if he were 'meh' about it.

My friend asking the pharmacist if it was ok to leave is ridiculous! She did not talk about her trip to the doctor because she did not want to be told her daughter needs supervision. She cleared her conscience with talking to the 'pharmacist'.

• Like 3
autumnnight

First, no freaking way would I be anywhere but in a chair in that hospital room.

That said, I am not sure I would scold a friend. If I did express concern and she told me to butt out, I would.

I have too much going on in my own life to spin out a bunch of energy getting morally irate at what everyone else does.

It's one thing to disagree with her choice. It's another to think it is actually MY business.

• Author

That said, I am not sure I would scold a friend. If I did express concern and she told me to butt out, I would.

She asked me: Do you think I am wrong for leaving? She knows me well, she knows I speak my mind. She is not an acquaintance, she is my best friend, we confine in each other on everything.

• Like 2
She asked me: Do you think I am wrong for leaving? She knows me well, she knows I speak my mind. She is not an acquaintance, she is my best friend, we confine in each other on everything.

Being forthright with a friend is rarely easy, so I commend you in being honest with your perspective. Sometimes responding honestly and with concern is more valued in the long run.

You don't always need to agree....and this is certainly an area where its better to express your view then turn a blind eye to her vacation taking precedence over her daughter.

I used the term blood clot because English isn't my native language.

There is a blood test that will confirm you have a blood clot traveling in your body, that test came back positive. She was in respiratory distress they had to poke her with that long needle in her tummy to thin her blood ASAP. I don't consider that minimal.

Saying she is 18 and an adult is idiotic. I don't consider an 18 year old an adult in the full meaning of the word. She is a teenage girl, full time in school, financially dependent of her mother. At 18 you still need the protection, the care and the guidance of your parent. My daughter is 27 and there is no way in hell I would leave her after an event like this.

Actually my daughter (27) is scheduled for a elbow surgery next Wednesday. I will take her to the hospital, I will stand by her till they come and get her, I will stay with her till she is released from the hospital then I will take her to my home and nurse her back to health, because that is what mothers do !

This is why we never share confidential information

Firstly it violates a patients privacy

Secondly...your posting is an empty meaningless hodgepodge of medical muddled information.

'There is a blood test that...' So...this means that in her case what exactly? There are a hundred other variables...

Your description means zero about zero. The doctor does not have her in hospital under observation...the pharmacist isn't jumping up and down. All of this is exaggerated hooplah about someone's confidential situation.

• Author
This is why we never share confidential information

Firstly it violates a patients privacy

Secondly...your posting is an empty meaningless hodgepodge of medical muddled information.

'There is a blood test that...' So...this means that in her case what exactly? There are a hundred other variables...

Your description means zero about zero. The doctor does not have her in hospital under observation...the pharmacist isn't jumping up and down. All of this is exaggerated hooplah about someone's confidential situation.

I am not here debating her medical record. I am not a doctor but I am a MOTHER, and my post is about being a MOTHER to a sick teenage girl. What EVER it was it was serious enough to bring her to the emergency room and being handled as a priority AND have a series of test scheduled the following day.

You can take your arrogant medical @ss out of my thread if you cannot speak as a parent !!!

• Like 4
Michelle ma Belle

To answer your original question, it is a resounding NO!

Men will come and go in my life but my children are forever. This is a no-brainer for me and should be for any parent.

Even an airline would probably agree to refund or credit your ticket under those circumstances. Of course, both people probably had to take off work. I think most bosses would be flexible about rescheduling as well. No, I can't imagine going off if it was any serious thing at all.

• Like 2
autumnnight

Since she is obviously a close friend, what is she like overall as a mother, I mean aside from this one medical crisis, the actual critical nature of which I am now seeing was nebulous. I mean, I still wouldn't go, but if we are all going to swoon on our fainting couches and declare this woman an abject and total failure as a mother, I'd like some insight into what she has been like the other 18 years, outside of the last 72 hours.

• Author

Seeking: No I did get news from her daughter

My friend is good mother, she provides the best for her daughter, she got her a car, she buys her clothes, gets her new bedroom furniture etc. My friend has tendencies to show her love by buying stuff, not so much by spending quality time together.

Before she left for her trip she told me: You know Gaeta I was raised by good people but they were cold and un-affectionate toward their children so I think that's why I am like this with my children sometimes.

She felt bad for leaving but not bad enough to actually stay.

She also has been dating this man for a year and he is the most irresponsible father you can come across. His children are 10 and 13 and he does not give a heck about them. He also repeatedly tell my friend that since her daughter is 18 she should let her fetch for herself cause at 18 no one helped him. I can't start talking about him, I dislike him to no end.

whichwayisup

I'm sorry but being a 'good provider' for your child and buying her stuff doesn't make a 'good' mom. This woman is choosing a loser guy over her own kid. WTF. She is mirroring what she knows from her own upbringing YET she knows that's wrong and still has chosen to go off on vacation and leave behind her ill daughter.

Not sure how your friendship will continue to be the same once she is back. Not only because of her decisions but the loser guy is influencing her way too much and not in a good or healthy way.

Ok I'm a childfree person but DAMN. I'd disown the friend too. (the one who went on a trip. Not just for choosing a guy over her daughter, but a LOSER guy. Over her daughter. WTF.