My boss friended me on facebook

This is a great example of how our lives are now being phenomenally changed by lack of privacy.

IMO, what I would do is:

1. Do Not de-friend your boss! They may be mis-guided in what they are doing, but also human.

2. Stop putting highly personal things on FB account.

3. If you feel you must have transparency with a FB account, create a new one that is just for yourself and friends but never professionally.

Don't read into your boss behavior and assume its about your FB site.

Keep Calm and Carry On!

• Like 1
It was when I was brand new, our company is pretty small and has somewhat of a family feel. Ive been there a few months now and it has been bothering me every since. I feel it was a mistake on my part to add her but also felt like not accepting the friend request was also rude.

I feel its now an invasion of my privacy. I don't post anything work related or negative or inappropriate but I still consider it a place for just me.

She doesn't really comment on anything or ask me about posts but she has liked about a dozen or so pictures so she is following me.

Is there ANY way out of this? How do you defriend your boss?

Sidenote, I just saw her at one of our company meetings...in 3 days she spoke barely a word to me nor made much eye contact. While I am assuming that not speaking to me was not as much personal but due to the fact there were 100 other people there and she had many other things and people to focus on, still, That's one example of why she should not be a "friend" on fb.

Just say no.

You can unfollow her and block her from seeing your posts without unfriending her. Just set custom privacy to block your boss from seeing your posts. That's unprofessional for your boss to do this, and could cause issues.

• Like 1

It is a bad idea I would never accept my boss on Facebook. I do not even talk to my boss that much . I am there to make them money not to be friends.

• Like 1
PrettyEmily77

How bad would it be if you just unfriended her and sent her a message explaining to her you'd rather keep your private life separate from your professional life? Would it put your job at risk?

perhaps this is the boss's way of seeing if you are worth a raise or promotion or whatnot, a boss is not stupid or he would not be a boss

i would go along with it, see after three months if the real you is who he wants to liaise with, promote etc.

he might be doing it to several of you, and your various reactions and moves would be telling

unless he wants to date you, and is just on the edges of getting closer...

Sassy Girl

Keep Facebook away from work. The two shouldn't mix. You want social media at work, use LinkedIn

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author
privategal

She seems to have added everyone else too.

It may have been a standard friendly move.

I just made her an aquaintance so anything I add now she cant see as I post for 'friends exept aquaintances'

I still never post work related or inappropriate things.

I do not go onto her page and interract or like her things.

I am out in the field she lives in another state.

I have gotten feedback she doesnt like me very well or was giving negative feedback about me at corporate meetings to my shock.

Even more of a reason she is no friend.

I wonder if I had warmed up to her more or went out of my way to interract a bit more if we would have bonded better.

Either way I need my job and dont want to rock the boat any further by deleting or anything.

I just lay low.