should I discuss this now or wait

It's done.It was extremely easy. I brought it up tonight and he immediately said that the dogs don't have to be on the bed.

:He also said that he doesn't like my bed, if we are to bring up stuff we don't like about our respective houses :D And he'll buy me a bed. Hey, don't let me stop you! :)

What a sane and non-dramatic couple you are! :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Author
What a sane and non-dramatic couple you are! :laugh:

Thanks. He's awesome! I'm slightly crazier, but in my defense, I'm a woman so I should be crazier lol But yes, I believe we rank below average in drama, even me :)

PinkInTheLimo
How am I demanding exactly?

I own my house, that I like and I choose, I would accept moving into his instead of "demanding" buying a new one together. I like to live in the city (albeit small), he lives in a cornfield and I'd accept to move in there and commute 40 minutes to work (now my commute is 2 miles) instead of "demanding" a more "normal" subdivision. I like the front of the house visible from the street and being able to see people passing, he doesn't want to see anyone and wants to have complete privacy, so I'm compromising on that. I like white or pale yellow walls and contemporary furniture, he has a log house, walls are, well, log, and I'll take that too. I prefer dogs to be outside and separated from the main area of the house, maybe come just into the basement and have their beds, there, not go on any furniture, instead I would accept them dragging dirt everywhere except the bed. The only thing I want is not to sleep with dogs, and they're not small dogs. If you feel that's too "demanding", probably it's because you may have dogs and feel strongly about sleeping with them. Or I don't know. I really don't see myself as demanding, more like extremely flexible.

But of course is not his "issue" either. It is what it is, we are different people with different preferences and lifestyles.

If this is a dealbreaker for you, then it is a dealbreaker. Don't feel guilty about it. You are getting to know each other and getting to know what your boundaries are. I would not want to be with a guy like that. I like my life to be neat and structured. So I know that I'd rather not date someone with a dog, and certainly not someone with a big dog.

These little practical things are often what makes one happy or not happy.

Life together has to be fun instead of stress.

• Author

Thanks, Pink. We resolved the issue. I am accepting people with dogs, and I'm very happy that he is flexible on the issue and we agreed that the dogs don't have to sleep with us. In a relationship it's a lot of give and take and indeed you do need to know your boundaries :)