Protein/protein powder question(s)!! How beneficial is it?

And I'm not trying to make the OP feel bad or discourage her from her weight loss goals, but it takes a lot of hard work and dedication to lose weight, keep it off, and let alone attain a physique like the girls you are mentioning have.

I'm just saying yoga is not the solution if she is really serious about it. It's just a trendy fad "exercise" that has become enormously popular in recent years when really it will do very little to help with what she's trying to accomplish.

I have never done yoga no.

I'm not a yoga guy so this doesn't personally offend me, but it's very ignorant. It may not be popular where you live, but that doesn't make it "just a trendy fad 'exercise'", nor is it a bad solution to kick off weight loss.

A good friend of mine lost close to 150 lbs in 14 months and she started with yoga and walking. Diet, too, of course, but she was too large to safely do cardio so she started with yoga DVDs in her living room. Yoga's not just stretching at all.

runredlights
I'm not a yoga guy so this doesn't personally offend me, but it's very ignorant. It may not be popular where you live, but that doesn't make it "just a trendy fad 'exercise'", nor is it a bad solution to kick off weight loss.

A good friend of mine lost close to 150 lbs in 14 months and she started with yoga and walking. Diet, too, of course, but she was too large to safely do cardio so she started with yoga DVDs in her living room. Yoga's not just stretching at all.

That is astounding. Seriously, that is awesome that your friend lost that much weight from yoga and walking (let's not forget walking involves moving and getting the heart rate up which burns calories). I'm not a fitness nazi, but I know what works for me. I just see yoga on the surface and it seems super trendy. Like gluten free, almond, soy, lululemon store, cage free eggs, left behind hippie type behavior. Seriously though, unless there is something I'm missing I think yoga is all about flexibility and peace of mind. Not particularly weight loss at all.

• 3 weeks later...

the proteins are supplements so don't try getting the full 1b to 1g of protein with just shakes, meaning get the most protein out of foods and supplement with a good 1 or 2 shakes a day.

You can gain weight with protein shakes but if your actively working out daily its a good kind of weight meaning gaining muscle, of course this also depends on how much your actively burning off every day.

If you just take protein but aren't exercising your body you will likely gain fat.

If you just want to lose weight go for low calorie "lean protein" type powders, as some of them are mass gainers and are designed to get you bigger.

Theres a TON of awesome videos on youtube you can do from your home, even 20 - 30 minutes a day ( search for "fitnessblender" its a great channel on youtube.

. If you eat a little cleaner and do a good 30 minutes a day you will see improvement, slow, meaning months slow, even a year or 2 maybe. Depends on how you dedicated you are.

Yoga is just stretching like caviar is just fish eggs.....:rolleyes:

Unless you have actually practised Yoga, you won't understand that your comment is totally baseless. Yoga is NOT 'just stretching', but works hard on every muscle group and really builds up a sweat....

I honestly urge you to give Yoga a try before even thinking it's 'just stretching'....

Have you tried deadlifts ? Lol :laugh:

Please ,weight training IS hard and along with the right diet defines your body and makes it toned and feminine.

Yoga is just stretching like caviar is just fish eggs.....:rolleyes:

Unless you have actually practised Yoga, you won't understand that your comment is totally baseless. Yoga is NOT 'just stretching', but works hard on every muscle group and really builds up a sweat....

I honestly urge you to give Yoga a try before even thinking it's 'just stretching'....

Have you tried deadlifts ? Lol :laugh:

Please ,weight training IS hard and along with the right diet defines your body and makes it toned and feminine.

Op,Ideally you should mix high intensity cardio and weights to have great results . Protein shakes are a supplement ,it's preferable that you get your protein Intake through food.

Edited by MoreFire