Does it matter to you if your date has a college education or not?

BlackOpsZombieGirl

yes it matters to me if my date has a college education. In fact, it actually matters which college they come from. The smarter the guy is, the sexier I would see him, and the converse is probably true for women too :)

I know this might sound elitist but it's true. As a Stanford graduate, I date guys who are around the same level of intellect as me, because of the level of conversation and emotional intimacy is all interlinked with intelligence, our outlook in life, the way we view sex, etc.

Not saying that you should exclusively date someone with a college education, it really depends on what you want. But at the end of the day, I'd go with someone of comparable intellect.

Emotional intimacy you say? I once dated a guy who had a Ph.D from Harvard... and he was the most "emotionally" UNintelligent person I had ever known. It boggled my mind what an "emotional" cripple he was. Making it literally impossible to develop anything even remotely resembling emotional intimacy with him.

In no way shape or form does a college education determine emotional intelligence. This was mentioned earlier by Gaeta to which I agreed with then and am reiterating now for emphasis.

Just sayin...:)

• Like 1

And not to rub it in but I dated another guy with two degrees from Columbia University who was also lacking in the emotional intelligence department.

I am not suggesting there aren't men (and women)...with advanced degrees from prestigious colleges who aren't emotionally intelligent, just that the level of education and school means jack shyt whether or not someone is emotionally intelligent .... or IMO just intelligent!

But I do respect that others'feel differently and that's their prerogative... just going by what I have personally experienced.

yes and no. yes it matters if it's going to be serious and no it doesn't if it's going to be short-term dating/dates. i am a doctor and have found that guys who don't have higher education (stopped at high school) are ok for a while but cannot, over the long term keep up. higher education usually also equates to better employment, more income, better-traveled, more well-rounded, having a home, etc. and those things start to matter as the relationship goes on and gets serious. in the beginning stages anyone can do because the subjects are kept lighter as you get to know one another. i have also found that men without higher education say they are "educated" but what they really mean - ime - is educated narrowly, or they are very smart in one specific area that they have a passion for. that, to me, is not really educated, and when you factor in that most men rarely read, well... i want the proof to go with the statement and that means a degree of a least a master's given what i have myself.

callingyouuu
I know this might sound elitist but it's true. As a Stanford graduate, I date guys who are around the same level of intellect as me, because of the level of conversation and emotional intimacy is all interlinked with intelligence, our outlook in life, the way we view sex, etc.

As a graduate of a school in the same tier of "prestige," I'm surprised you feel that way. A very diverse group of kids gets to go to HYPSM. Everyone was pretty much brilliant, but there were a ton of my classmates who had very different values/worldview than I did. Selecting based on that fact seems very unreliable to me.

Driven people exercise their passions in a variety of ways. Some people do it by obtaining a college degree, while others start their own companies or focusing more on starting a family. Does a degree matter at all? Sure. It does take some level of commitment to dedicate yourself to finishing a diploma. That said, it's really just one of many ways that you can show commitment to completing something you care about.

• Like 1
TiffanyMyers
As a graduate of a school in the same tier of "prestige," I'm surprised you feel that way. A very diverse group of kids gets to go to HYPSM. Everyone was pretty much brilliant, but there were a ton of my classmates who had very different values/worldview than I did. Selecting based on that fact seems very unreliable to me.

Driven people exercise their passions in a variety of ways. Some people do it by obtaining a college degree, while others start their own companies or focusing more on starting a family. Does a degree matter at all? Sure. It does take some level of commitment to dedicate yourself to finishing a diploma. That said, it's really just one of many ways that you can show commitment to completing something you care about.

Haha I said "same level of intellect". I did not say he must have a college degree. The smartest people I've known are all but college dropouts :o I'm sorry if I gave you that impression.

TiffanyMyers
Emotional intimacy you say? I once dated a guy who had a Ph.D from Harvard... and he was the most "emotionally" UNintelligent person I had ever known. It boggled my mind what an "emotional" cripple he was. Making it literally impossible to develop anything even remotely resembling emotional intimacy with him.

In no way shape or form does a college education determine emotional intelligence. This was mentioned earlier by Gaeta to which I agreed with then and am reiterating now for emphasis.

Just sayin...:)

He had a Ph.D from Harvard...now that really explains alot.

As you may expect, people with Ph.Ds are not people with just college degrees. There's a reason why they stay on in academia. Some people are just academically smart but not smart on an intellectual level. There's a crucial distinction.

Well I only have an Associates Degree, but I prefer only to date smart women who have at least done Some College (preferably at least an Associates like myself).

Yeah, I have an associates myself only. But want to get a Bachelors but I don't know what I want to take up so I keep holding off on it.

compulsivedancer

As long as he's supporting himself and can carry on intelligent conversations, I don't need a college degree. I DO need intelligence.

That said, having a college degree creates some shared experiences, since I have one, too. It gives us more to talk about. But it's like everything else. If we click elsewhere, it's not necessary.

Haha I said "same level of intellect". I did not say he must have a college degree. The smartest people I've known are all but college dropouts :o I'm sorry if I gave you that impression.

Not to quibble ... but you said (in your post no. 23) it mattered to you if he had a college education...and went on to say it even mattered what college he went to!

Now you're saying it doesn't matter if he has a college education?

So which is it?

• Like 1
yes and no. yes it matters if it's going to be serious and no it doesn't if it's going to be short-term dating/dates. i am a doctor and have found that guys who don't have higher education (stopped at high school) are ok for a while but cannot, over the long term keep up. higher education usually also equates to better employment, more income, better-traveled, more well-rounded, having a home, etc. and those things start to matter as the relationship goes on and gets serious. in the beginning stages anyone can do because the subjects are kept lighter as you get to know one another. i have also found that men without higher education say they are "educated" but what they really mean - ime - is educated narrowly, or they are very smart in one specific area that they have a passion for. that, to me, is not really educated, and when you factor in that most men rarely read, well... i want the proof to go with the statement and that means a degree of a least a master's given what i have myself.

Many doctors are educated narrowly. I can show you plenty of examples. Doctors are no longer the noble profession it used to be. In fact many of the high education fields are intellectually dishonest or "educated narrowly"

If we click elsewhere, it's not necessary.

yeah as long as the sex is great who needs to talk

Eternal Sunshine

I only date men with at least a bachelors degree, preferably masters/phd.

I find that with those men I have a natural click with.

If you will date people who are better than you are, you'll never have a problem. I think that covers just about everything ;)

Welcome to dating, the world's biggest cat-and-mouse game.