borrowing money

• Author

Now, my BF will stay with my son when I go to conferences, no home repairs and if I need any, he will help with that, he can do anything. I am tutoring my son now tutoring was tobget him on advanced math track and he's not listening when working with me. Now he is in advanced math and i will do the nagging as well as i can. And I cut down on some fixed expenses and make an excel to monitor what's happening. Drive old car, not visit malls, bring lunch wt work, cut down on kindle and other pleasures like that. Summer care was also expensive, but my son is now 13 and this year I'll send him alone to Romania to be with my family over the summer. It'll still cost some, but less.

I feel good about the plan, it's going to work out.

• Like 2
  • Author
Would a summer job help?

Yeah, last year I taught in the summer. I taught every day for two months and they paid one month salary, but that was good. I didn't take any vacation, I did in fact, one week, I spent it in my backyard, biking, reading.

Even if I don't get paid, I still go to work every day in the summer, so I can't really get another job. I don't think we are allowed, contractually to have another job either, asides from consulting. I have to take care of research, graduate students, write proposals and journal articles, so summer is not really vacation.

This summer I'm waiting to hear from one grant that would pay one month of summer, and it should be 90% I'm getting it, but getting nervous because it's approval is dragging for reasons I don't know. And I have one other proposal that is with NSF that I have hopes for. That one has another month of summer salary in it's budget. Generally, the National Science Foundation keeps proposals under review for up to 6 months. If you don't hear about a rejection within the 6 months, there is hope. I submitted that one beginning of August last year and it's been six months so I have some hope. But I also had situations when it did pass the six months and I still got a rejection. In fact, just one situation in the past 10 years. So I'm hoping I'm getting that one. So that would cover my summer. But if both fall through, then I need to make sure I have enough savings to cover the summer. If they come through, I'll make larger payment to the debt and it's going to be done sooner rather than later. I have five other proposals under review but those were submitted in Oct-Nov and generally you hear about those the following Summer-Fall.

Someone mentioned writing a book. Yeah, I've been wanting to do that and I'm planning on writing a textbook. Generally, it takes 5 years from the beginning to publishing and getting any money so it's not a method to make money fast. And most books don't make any money. However, even if the book will not make any money, it might bring consulting opportunities, from what I hear. So that's in the works anyway, but not counting on it for financial gain. If it becomes the leading textbook on the market, you can make some good money though, but it's said that generally it doesn't happen.

I'm also teaching online this year and that will bring me some money. But next year they won't let me, they say they're rotating courses because there are not enough online slots. So mine will be online only every other year. I'm looking further into that option for long term steady supplementary income.

• Like 1

It's super nice that he offered, but I understand turning it down. Money between family and friends can get awkward sometimes. And it sounds like the interest payments bother him more than they bother you. Owing him would bother you more than the interest. It's all personal preferences, and the important thing is that there is obviously mutual respect :)

• Like 4

Hi Blu,

Good on you for having a solid plan. FWIW, I was in a similar situation - had some credit card debt (accrued from several years as a lowly intern while I worked my way up in my field) that I was slowly paying down while my now-H and I were still dating. He made significantly more than me at the time, and offered to pay it and have me pay him back. Even though I know it makes financial sense, in a stripped-of-emotions way, I didn't want to risk having it turn sour, and I didn't want to feel "in debt" to him. So I said no, thanks so much, but I'll do it on my own - and I did. It was very generous of your BF to offer, but I tend to think you did the right thing by thanking him and saying no, you've got this. :)

• Like 2
  • Author
Hi Blu,

Good on you for having a solid plan. FWIW, I was in a similar situation - had some credit card debt (accrued from several years as a lowly intern while I worked my way up in my field) that I was slowly paying down while my now-H and I were still dating. He made significantly more than me at the time, and offered to pay it and have me pay him back. Even though I know it makes financial sense, in a stripped-of-emotions way, I didn't want to risk having it turn sour, and I didn't want to feel "in debt" to him. So I said no, thanks so much, but I'll do it on my own - and I did. It was very generous of your BF to offer, but I tend to think you did the right thing by thanking him and saying no, you've got this. :)

I'm glad you can share a similar experience and that it all worked out in the end. Thank you! :)

I'm very sure I made the right choice. I also know that he'd jump to help in any situation, he's the best. But I want to do the best I can with my resources, and I think that is better for everyone involved. If I'm truly in a pickle, I'll ask him, but I think I should be able to be solvent, at the minimum.

• Like 1
acrosstheuniverse
Ok, for one, who said if this is a brother of mine?

Um... just went back to check this in case my reading comprehension was really poor!

Case in point, I have a sibling who is with someone. He has bought her certain things and they are shacking up.
  • Like 1
Um... just went back to check this in case my reading comprehension was really poor!

Ouch, sorry...

Would "relative" been better?

Like I said, I really don't put much grammar/punctuation check when I post here or do like texting and stuff.