how old is too old to co sleep?

hotgurl

The boy is healthy no problems. HE is sensitive and slingy to her.

It is one thing when the kids are in their own beds and come in you in the night due to a nightmare. But a totally different thing just to have that a a sleepingarrangements.

I think it will work itself out when the kid goes through puberty. I am know it is stupid but I think it is worse because the child is a boy.

What's the worst thing that can happen ?

Call mother 10 times a day, have a sex change and change his name to Mother Shamumu ?

• Like 1
CrystalShine2011

VERY unhealthy. Children should be sleeping in there own beds at a very early age, and every once in a while get the family "camp out" night where everyone squeezes in.

Wow, I'm amazed at the people upset over biological different sex siblings sharing rooms (not beds, ROOMS). We did this in my family due to space issues and there was a lot of bickering over closet space but definitely no sexual tension!!! Bleah! It was very innocent, I assure you!

• Like 1

How long is a piece of string? I see no set answer to this question at all. To me it seems clearly contextual and personality based. I see no objective facts or claims that put any limit on it per se however.

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...
  • Author

So just a quick update. It seems like the boy who is 13 now, is starting to end the co-sleeping thing himself.

The kids is afraid of thunderstorms and last night there was one. He stayed in his own bed. the mom (my co-worker) asked him why he did come sleep with her etc....

She then seemed really bummed that the kid is sleeping on his own and said she would keep him in bed as long as she could if he's let her.

so disturbing!

sometimes he still goes to sleep in her bed. (she need to pat his back) and the dad moves him to his room when he comes to bed but ick!

GunslingerRoland

That is so weird.. I remember being a 13 year old boy and that would have been really awkward having a parent in bed with me for all of the obvious reasons.

But some parents don't really want to let their kids grow up any more.

A large part of the problem is the father allowing this to go on.

Allowing a woman to kick him out of bed in the first place. Not to mention allowing this creepy behavior with the kid.

• Like 1
That sounds completely bizarre.

Do they take their children for well-visits at the pediatrician? One of the first things doctors ask is who do they sleep with and if it's a bed or a crib and in what room. Then they ask about helmets and eating habits and car seats and all that other good stuff but it's an actual concern they address when considering the welfare of the child.

You might want to make a phone call.

Maybe my pediatrician was awful because he never asked me any of those questions...not a one.

• Like 2

I don't know how she does it. I can't stand it when my son sleeps in my bed because I don't get any sleep. He's 9 and he asks me all the time to sleep in my room or if I can stay in his room with him. I won't do it. He's too old. Unless he's sick or we are watching a movie together (my room is the only room hooked up to netflix) then there is no need for it. It's bizarre that she's letting it go on this long. He's 13 now and still sleeping in her bed every night? That's just wrong on so many levels.

• Author
If you're friends with the husband and wife, I would suggest giving the husband this book.

I have a theory that he is checked out of the marriage and is waiting for 5 years, once the youngest turns 18 to divorce. He goes to lodge night every Thursday, without fail. Also he won't show her his pay stubs, needs his own money. He doesn't participate in the family that often. Rumors of an affair (from a questionable source).

I feel she is replacing the lost emotional intimacy from husband with over intimacy with son. gross.

• Author
Maybe my pediatrician was awful because he never asked me any of those questions...not a one.

They go to the doctors once a year. The kid plays sports and needs the medical form signed off on every year.

• Like 1

My son is 10 and my daughter is 12. They both like to sleep with me on occasion. And they also like to have that with their dad too (though not very often) It is not an every night thing though. I think every once in a while is fine to snuggle up with your babies. It's like a treat for my kids to get that special night with me to stay up late in mom's room watching tv with snuggles. I almost think though they like to do it because our dog sleeps with my husband and I religiously, and they want the dog snuggles more. LOL

anyway - when they were really little they slept with us more often, now it's maybe once every couple of months.

They go to the doctors once a year. The kid plays sports and needs the medical form signed off on every year.

Exactly. I did say "well-visit" but I guess some parents don't bring their children in for those.

Exactly. I did say "well-visit" but I guess some parents don't bring their children in for those.

Do some parents take their kids to the doctor when there's nothing wrong??

I mean, my special needs son has checkups 2-3 times a year. But it wouldn't occur to me to take my completely healthy daughter to the doctor if she wasn't ill.

I can understand regulating this in situations such as out of home care but this cannot possibly apply to families and their biological children? I can understanding having to meet certain requirements (bedrooms, house size, available hours etc) with foster care but the concept of every child having their own bedroom is one that is very modern and rather unique to western society.

How can you possibly regulate the size of house people must own? Due to the cost of housing here, sharing bedrooms is the norm in inner city areas.

This^^

I can understand this happening in foster families or respite situations, but not within blood relatives.

It wasn't that long ago that families would all sleep in one room. When my own house was built in the 1880's it was a workers cottage with one living room, one bedroom and lean-to kitchen. It's been extended since then, but I cannot see the problem with older, different sex siblings sharing rooms by necessity.

Last time we went on vacation with both kids, my boy was 18 and my girl was 16. They were still happy to share room in our accommodation. If they need to change clothes or do other personal things, they either close the door on the other or go to the bathroom.

Edited by basil67

My son plays sports too and goes to the doctor regularly for other reasons, no doctor has ever asked where he sleeps and with whom.

Do some parents take their kids to the doctor when there's nothing wrong??

I mean, my special needs son has checkups 2-3 times a year. But it wouldn't occur to me to take my completely healthy daughter to the doctor if she wasn't ill.

Your completely healthy daughter should be going for a yearly physical shouldn't she?

Your completely healthy daughter should be going for a yearly physical shouldn't she?

Why would you take a young person who's got nothing wrong with them to a doctor? I mean, now that I' getting old I have them myself, but that's because I now need to make sure my blood pressure, cholesterol etc is ok. But a healthy kid with no pre-existing conditions? Can't see the point.

At any rate, none of the doctors in our family practice has ever suggested it. Perhaps it's a cultural thing for the US. We don't have chaperones when having a Pap smear either.

Why would you take a young person who's got nothing wrong with them to a doctor? I mean, now that I' getting old I have them myself, but that's because I now need to make sure my blood pressure, cholesterol etc is ok. But a healthy kid with no pre-existing conditions? Can't see the point.

At any rate, none of the doctors in our family practice has ever suggested it. Perhaps it's a cultural thing for the US. We don't have chaperones when having a Pap smear either.

I'll check with my pediatrician on the next visit but as far as I know, yearly well visits are not mandatory but are recommended same as for adults. It's just for preventative measures same as it is for adults. I don't think it's a cultural thing, because not everyone in the US does it either... it's a choice. I have no choice with my son, he has to go every 3 months but that's because he has needs. I'd think, even if your child is healthy, that you'd want a check up yearly anyway to be sure nothing is missed. Children get serious illnesses too even if they seem perfectly healthy.