how does society see black female/white male relationships?

Eddy Street

Who cares what any community thinks about you going out with a black woman.

This is nothing that's ever even crossed my mind but then again in this country we don't have an African black community nor such a violent society that the USA has in general (thank God!!)

Ehhh. It doesn't quite work like that.

Sign yourself up for Match.com and see how many people exclude every single race except for their own. Or maybe they'll throw in one other race.

As a person, you tend to have this naive idea that people think like you. So, as a person who would date any race, I think most other people would too. Wow, so wrong on such a large scale. This IS the real world.

This isn't about somebody's personal dating preferences...it's about if people will react violently in a neighborhood if they see an interracial couple together.

I say it's not likely by most by there's always going to be some ass hole who has a problem with everyone and everything.

Having sex with any woman of any color and announcing it publicly will cause other guys to challenge you on occasion. Just how it works. A white guy dating a black woman doesn't carry much of a stigma though, unlike vice versa. I don't think you'll run into any extra trouble unless you decide to marry or have kids together.

There's nothing wrong with it, per se. However, it might cause a few issues in public but probably not anything you couldn't deal with. For me, the biggest obstacle would be the potential cultural differences, which could be quite huge in some cases. Make sure that your family would get along with her, and that you can mesh with hers. This may not seem like a big deal now, but if you end up together, it will be huge.

I'm a black female who has exclusively dated white guys, not on purpose but that's just the way it turned out. I'm in So Cal and from a rather racially mixed neighborhood. I haven't encountered anyone who actually cared with the exception of my mother.

If she likes you, she likes you! Nothing anyone says is going to make much of a difference. Even my mom asking me WHY I only dated a handful of these white geeky guys rather than pursuing her friends' sons didn't sway me. I likes who I likes.

I have heard that black female nerds are a rarity so hopefully I'm a hot commodity.:laugh:

That's true. You guys might as well be unicorns...:laugh:

LisaSmith_1970

Well, its common to see black men/white women relationships now a days. But to see a black female/while male is somewhat uncommon. Most black women prefer a black man-this is coming from Chris Rock-where I saw one of his comedy specials-he was saying that if you ever saw a black woman with an old white dude-it means her credit is jacked.

Even in conservative Texas I see all kinds of mixed racial couples. I'm sure there's some old farts still out there getting butt hurt about it, but if so, they seem to keep their mouths shut around me for the most part anyway, and out in public.

I don't have hang-ups, I'm reacting to hang ups which I perceive in the culture around me.

On a show on interracial dating in my country when it came to black women and white guys, it seemed the resistance was more with the black women. The interviewed women seemed to resent stereotypes of them or thought the guys had a fetish about dating them, so shunned the white guys who mentioned anything about them being different, which I'm sure would have made them walk from many keen guys as there are not that many dark skinned women where I live. I don't doubt many guys would have liked to date them for the novelty factor as well as the fact that the women interviewed were very attractive. In your neck of the woods it could be the other way around.

Personally though I agree with the others who say you should date who you find attractive regardless if you think you might get more stares from people.

Well, the Black community is not a monolithic group where everyone feels the same way about things, like interracial dating. Of course there will be people who have their negative opinions on the subject, but there are also people who don't really give a dang/are supportive. If you really like this girl, what other Black men/strangers think or feel about you dating her shouldn't matter nor stop you from pursuing.

SycamoreCircle

How does society view it? Well, guess who came to dinner the other night? Society! Such a particular fellow. He didn't touch his pilaf, abstained from drink and couldn't contribute much to the conversation. Our host asked if anything was the matter. He finally spoke, "I feel like persons of conjecture put too much emphasis on me. As if my opinion is the final word. Why must I bear the responsibility? I'm a complex person with complex attitudes. I shouldn't be held to what people think of me."

Sensing the other guests discomfort, I injected some humor.

"Society," I smiled, "keep whining and we'll sequester you to the kiddie table."

• Like 1
normal person
Right, I've read those online. That's exactly the problem I'm getting at. She probably has male relatives and friends who are hostile. But I'm getting way ahead of the situation here... I don't even know if she would go out with me.

I think you should stop worrying, get your feet wet, and actually experience the realities of the situation before you jump to conclusions about it. Your worrying is about as unattractive as it gets. I seem to recall you worrying if you should write that you were from Eastern Europe in your OLD profile because you were concerned there might be some lingering Cold War hangup in the US.

Why don't you go out with her and see what it's really like rather than try and corral a bunch of anecdotal tales that probably won't help you too much anyways? If there are problems, they'll be unique and nuanced and likely not something that can be solved over a message board. You can decide then whether or not those issues, if any, are something you want to deal with.

Just my two cents.

Ehhh. It doesn't quite work like that.

Sign yourself up for Match.com and see how many people exclude every single race except for their own. Or maybe they'll throw in one other race.

As a person, you tend to have this naive idea that people think like you. So, as a person who would date any race, I think most other people would too. Wow, so wrong on such a large scale. This IS the real world.

I have always wondered about this! Talking to many of these people in person they'll say they're open, but then their online profile tells a whole other story. This is one of the many reasons that I don't OLD anymore.

I am white, my ex wife is black, after my divorce I avoided black women and have so up until now (12 years later) dated everything else instead, but I am reevaluating this and other aspects of my social life in a thread I just started in "Dating" section. (hopefully the love shack has some love for me on that one)

All I can say is if you are attracted to a black woman, TALK TO HER!!!

(over the last 12 years I could have missed out on a woman that might have been the best thing to happen to me....who knows.)

Don't put obstacles in front of yourself, I grew up surrounded by black men (friends) who would go for any woman (blk,wht,latin,asian) as long as they are appealing to them. We can all see the wisdom in that.....and it comes straight from the hood.

best of luck!!

• Like 1

I wish you luck and happiness whoever you find love with :)

I personally like seeing black female/white male relationships. It makes me happy to see girls like me are getting love from men of ANY colour :love:

I'm from a country where we aren't obsessed with skin tones and dont label people according to their skin tone. Its awesome. So yeah, lots of "mixed race" as you call it.