• Author
A hard workout after work will usually put anyone to sleep....Sound sleep..Plus you get all the other benefits of a proper exercise regimen..

If all that fails, try to dig up some of the old episodes of that guy Bob Ross...he had a show on PBS, sported a 'fro and would paint on canvas and talk in subtle tones...that put about anyone into a deep sleep in no time flat...:laugh:

TFY

Hahaha I love that guy!

Ah, yes exercise. :o

• Author
Uhm, maybe I missed it but how many hours are you thinking you should get. Or what do you consider in terms of hours a healthy night's sleep.

Please do a little research if your immediate answer is 7-9 hours per night. You may be surprised by the fact that although the majority of people do well on between 7 & 9 hours a night, some bodies only require and 'want' 4 to 6 hours of sleep each night. The key is knowing what your unique body and mind need then follow all of the great advice given.

Good luck and sleep well!

CiH*

Thanks CIH!

I usually get about 8 hours on a proper night - or feel I need it to be well-rested. It would be a good idea to monitor this though.

Do you drink alcohol? If so, stop.

I found nothing helped improve my sleep the way giving up alcohol did. Not cutting back on caffeine, increasing my workouts, nothing.

I gave up booze for other reasons but a really surprising side benefit is how freakin' well I sleep! I fall asleep fast and generally stay asleep. Something I wasn't able to do before.

I'd read a lot about alcohol disrupting sleep, even just one beer a day can do it. I didn't put much stock into it, but boy, I sure do now.

So, in additions to the other great suggestions in this thread, if you drink, try giving it up for a bit and see if that helps for you.

• Like 1
  • Author

I found nothing helped improve my sleep the way giving up alcohol did. Not cutting back on caffeine, increasing my workouts, nothing.

I gave up booze for other reasons but a really surprising side benefit is how freakin' well I sleep! I fall asleep fast and generally stay asleep. Something I wasn't able to do before.

I'd read a lot about alcohol disrupting sleep, even just one beer a day can do it. I didn't put much stock into it, but boy, I sure do now.

So, in additions to the other great suggestions in this thread, if you drink, try giving it up for a bit and see if that helps for you.

This is really interesting - I drink socially every once in a while.

Oddly enough - I had drinks before in an effort to knock myself out; twice it sort of set my schedule straight.

I'll definitely keep this in mind, the next time I want to have a drink. Thanks for the input!

12 pints of Abbots ale and a large vindaloo induce a good 12 hours of kip. Obviously not so good if you have a pressing engagement early next morning.

• Like 2
  • Author
12 pints of Abbots ale and a large vindaloo induce a good 12 hours of kip. Obviously not so good if you have a pressing engagement early next morning.

Mm vindaloo! :love:

• Like 1

agree totally

I've not had an alcoholic drink for over 2 weeks now

and I CAN DRINK LIKE A FISH GUYS

but since i stopped

better sleep

more awake when the alarm goes off

more energy

less... .... apathy :cool:

Try it:bunny:

• Like 1

I have struggled with sleep problems for 5 years. At the height of it was sleeping 2-3 hours most nights and some not at all. It started with work related stress and continued after I left the job. I have bags under my eyes that probably won't ever go away because of insomnia.

What didn't work:

-Over the counter sleep aids. They don't help you sleep or they might make you sleep but then wake up a few hours later. Either way its a recipe for crappy next day.

-Relaxation and hypnosis apps. They did nothing for me but make me think of what a cool job the guy who records them has.

-Listening to music. Makes me think of random memories and then spiral out from there.

-Melatonin taken before bed time.

What has worked:

-Cutting caffeine. Almost none per day. I think that I must be super sensitive to caffeine. 1 cup of coffee after 2 pm or more than 1 cup in the AM can keep me up all night. It's just not worth it.

-Stopped smoking. Nicotine is a stimulant. It will not relax you. If you do smoke, stop. If you don't, good for you!

-No alcohol. I do not drink on week nights any more. Having even 1 drink can make me wake up 2 hours after falling asleep. Again, not worth it.

-Using a fan for white noise.

-No devices in the bedroom! Don't listen to music, don't watch TV, don't read Buzzfeed and Cracked in bed (my problem). When it's time for bed just go to bed.

-Taking melatonin as I get into bed. For some reason it works now that I am taking it without interference from light or sound.

I'm sure that some of these have been covered in previous posts. I am still not 100% insomnia free but after 5 years of wanting nothing more than to get some rest I am overjoyed by the 6-7 hours I get most nights now. I hope you figure yours out too!

• Like 1
  • Author
I have struggled with sleep problems for 5 years. At the height of it was sleeping 2-3 hours most nights and some not at all. It started with work related stress and continued after I left the job. I have bags under my eyes that probably won't ever go away because of insomnia.

What didn't work:

-Over the counter sleep aids. They don't help you sleep or they might make you sleep but then wake up a few hours later. Either way its a recipe for crappy next day.

-Relaxation and hypnosis apps. They did nothing for me but make me think of what a cool job the guy who records them has.

-Listening to music. Makes me think of random memories and then spiral out from there.

-Melatonin taken before bed time.

What has worked:

-Cutting caffeine. Almost none per day. I think that I must be super sensitive to caffeine. 1 cup of coffee after 2 pm or more than 1 cup in the AM can keep me up all night. It's just not worth it.

-Stopped smoking. Nicotine is a stimulant. It will not relax you. If you do smoke, stop. If you don't, good for you!

-No alcohol. I do not drink on week nights any more. Having even 1 drink can make me wake up 2 hours after falling asleep. Again, not worth it.

-Using a fan for white noise.

-No devices in the bedroom! Don't listen to music, don't watch TV, don't read Buzzfeed and Cracked in bed (my problem). When it's time for bed just go to bed.

-Taking melatonin as I get into bed. For some reason it works now that I am taking it without interference from light or sound.

I'm sure that some of these have been covered in previous posts. I am still not 100% insomnia free but after 5 years of wanting nothing more than to get some rest I am overjoyed by the 6-7 hours I get most nights now. I hope you figure yours out too!

:eek:

We could be twins! That is my nightly "ritual" (not even exaggerating) - I always read Cracked in bed - and Buzzfeed when Cracked gets boring. :mad:

I know it will be a hard habit to break but no devices in the bedroom will really help with sleep problems. Now I read Cracked and Buzzfeed first thing Saturday mornings before I even get out of bed. My new ritual :)

• Like 1

For me personally avoiding sugar, getting some exercise and taking a shower before bed to wash away the sweat during the day help me get a good nights sleep. I don't like the idea of taking supplements.

• Like 1