High blood pressure

• Author

Well today I had another good reading at 126 over 81. So again it looks like stress is really the big contributor for those random high readings. It would be more concerning if the high readings were a consistent new pattern. So I just need to be aware of when my emotions are effecting my physical body and that checking my blood pressure during those times is to be expected that the readings are going to be overdone. Obviously I won't get an accurate reading if I check it after getting into an argument with a friend or girlfriend for example.

• Author

Stress can also cause toothaches too. I went to my dentist about 5 weeks ago complaining about intermittent toothaches but they said my teeth were fine. They took X rays and did a thorough examination and cleaning and could not find any cavities. The Dentist asked me if I had been under alot of stress because that can cause toothaches as well.

So there is a case to be made that emotional distress has contributed to intermittent high blood pressure and intermittent toothaches and headaches.

• Author
A few things:

What is your age? What other cofactors do you have, cholesterol? diabetes? family history of heart attack or stroke?

Too much salt doesn't make healthy peoples' blood pressure skyrocket. Further, Asian cultures consume even more salt than the western world but they have very low incidence of cardiovascular disease. If it has that effect in you, then there are genetic or disease factors at play.

You need to stay on your meds. Your pressure was crazy high. Unless you were in the middle of intense exercise your levels should not be anywhere at those numbers. Did you take your reading immediately after running up a flight of stairs?

The natural route is not for you in the near term, if ever. To suggest so is irresponsible. Your numbers are so high that they will cause damage to your heart and kidneys. I'm all for a healthy lifestyle over taking meds, but you're clearly not there.

What is your height? At 225 pounds I'm guessing you're more than 5 pounds overweight. Probably, more like 35 pounds over. Get the weight down, keep a healthy diet, and maybe the BP will alleviate to some degree. You might not get completely off the meds but you might be able to switch to a less aggressive drug or use a lower dose.

signed,

A health fitness professional with multiple clients in heart or kidney failure; and who loses around 5 patients a year to stroke, diabetes, and heart attack.

Well I am nowhere near diabetic. I've had my blood sugar levels tested at least 4 times in the past year both when fasting and the H1AC test. If anything my fasting sugar levels tend to be on the slightly lower side of normal so I'm having more mild hypoglycemic problems than diabetes. The last fasting blood sugar reading was 60.

But since the start of this thread it continues to look more and more that 170 blood pressure reading was just an isolated incident. Today I had another good blood pressure reading. 124 over 82. So the medication is working fine and don't need to make any adjustments.