I'm amazed that so many people don't have an issue calling out on a friday

I would just be happy to have a job with paid vacation time. I never call out, because it is unpaid until next July when sick leave goes into effect for California for all employers. But still, it's only 3 days, so use it wisely.

That's not accurate "all California employers" don't have sick leave effective in July. My company's sick leave is given at the start of the fiscal year - October 1. Depending on the length of service, it can be from 2 weeks (for a new hire) to 4 weeks. Our sick leave rolls over every year. I have close to 400 hours of unused sick leave.

I'm here in Cali to and my understanding of this law was that employers who don't offer any kind of sick leave such as, temp agencies, part time jobs, etc will be affected by this. So instead of having no sick leave they'll have to offer a minimum of 3 days paid sick leave to employees, but that doesn't mean that automatically on July 1 all of these employees get 3 days on the books. The way it was explained to me is that employers can have it be something that is accrued based on your hours worked and it's up to them to decide if it can rollover to the next year if unused. Just curious if you have additional or different information and can point me to a source for updates.

• Like 1
  • Author

I never forget a coworker telling me this in regards to sick days

"It's our days to use whenever we want, why do you think we have them?"

What??? Lol

I hardly ever call in sick when I'm actually sick or injured, I try to do what I can, and rarer still when I'm not.

I have, sure, but for a reason - something I needed to do I wouldn't of been able to get time for, not just cause it was sunny out and I felt like it.

To be honest I've never worked in an environment where many sickies were thrown - I think the existing ethos of any the workplace then rubs off on new employees. That said I've never worked an office job with 10 colleagues on your 'team', I've always done things where its like you need bodies on the line, fires need fighting, animals need to be fed, hay needs to be baled.

Not that office jobs aren't important :laugh: im just always conscious if I don't go to a job still needs doing, it puts a high physical demand on my friends..

• Like 1

I only call out if I'm incredibly sick/injured to the point that I can't work.

If that's the case, it doesn't matter whether it's a Friday or not.

• Like 2
  • Author
I only call out if I'm incredibly sick/injured to the point that I can't work.

If that's the case, it doesn't matter whether it's a Friday or not.

I hear some people say they do because they need a mental day

I'm here in Cali to and my understanding of this law was that employers who don't offer any kind of sick leave such as, temp agencies, part time jobs, etc will be affected by this. So instead of having no sick leave they'll have to offer a minimum of 3 days paid sick leave to employees, but that doesn't mean that automatically on July 1 all of these employees get 3 days on the books. The way it was explained to me is that employers can have it be something that is accrued based on your hours worked and it's up to them to decide if it can rollover to the next year if unused. Just curious if you have additional or different information and can point me to a source for updates.

This. I think employers can choose to offer this after the probationary period, but law will require sick pay to be offered to those who work 30 or more hours in a year.