Can men and women be friends?

katielee

My platonic friendship with my female friend lasted for years because 95% of our interaction was through phone

And if we did see each other it was during the day but never went to each other's apt's

can he be doing this and NOT thinking of me sexually? Because if he is, I may not be interested in working with him again.

of course it's possible he's not thinking of you sexually... i have some male co-workers who hug, grab my shoulders, and are just very caring in general towards me. it is not in a creepy or "hitting on you" kind of way. you should be able to tell the difference.

of course it's possible he's not thinking of you sexually... i have some male co-workers who hug, grab my shoulders, and are just very caring in general towards me. it is not in a creepy or "hitting on you" kind of way. you should be able to tell the difference.

But why can't it be because of the no protection? That's very important

• Author

that's why I'm here asking this question. I'm not able to tell the difference. I don't know him well enough.

Yes, men and women can be platonic friends and also friendly colleagues.

The situation you describe isn't that though. He is out of line and obviously is making you uncomfortable. Make your boundaries clear. Tell him explicitly not to touch you.

This is my observation as a man of 43 yrs age. Unless the man and woman have a very close Brother/Sister, Aunt/Nephew etc relationship type of friendship. On the mans side. We really want the woman in our lives that we see on a regular basis to lean towards being a GF at the minimum.

A GF is a woman that we guys get to give and receive physical/romantic affection to soften us up a bit.

I see women getting way more out of men being friends with them, than the opposite way. My male friends that are married. None of them have women they hang out with on a regular basis, except one. Even then. I have 5 women friends. SD is 63. AG is 42. AM is 39. JC is 33 and JK who is my friends wife and like a sister -in -law is 43. Thats it for me. My ex DD is someone I still talk to and a friend.

Other than that. Do I as a single man really want to have a new single woman friend. That I can't have anytype of romantic relationship with. If I had a new Gf. Would I nix hanging out with my GF to be with my new female friend that I will get no Physical affection from?

Most men can have about 3 women friends or so and any new woman is most litkley going to be a romantic prospect.

• Author

mysterio - ok I get that but I'm a married woman.

And I know he finds me attractive but stilll....

I actually got caught in a debate about this with another poster on another thread.

I have two male friendships both extremely platonic we've never wanted more and even discussed that, the friendship I have with them is pretty damn clear, at times it will be solo or in a group setting, both males have never tried to go beyond just friends.

Many people believe its not possible for men and woman to be friends, and obviously for them to believe that they must of never had a opposite friendship without drama.

im not attracted to my male friends and some other poster mentioned only hanging in the day, thats true in my case also.

Edited by Omei
I actually got caught in a debate about this with another poster on another thread.

I have two male friendships both extremely platonic we've never wanted more and even discussed that, the friendship I have with them is pretty damn clear, at times it will be solo or in a group setting, both males have never tried to go beyond just friends.

Many people believe its not possible for men and woman to be friends, and obviously for them to believe that they must of never had a opposite friendship without drama.

im not attracted to my male friends and some other poster mentioned only hanging in the day, thats true in my case also.

if he's a man and you're remotely attractive, he wants to bang you. Truth.

Thegreatestthing

No they can't I never had a male friend that I didn't want to FCk or had some vague romantic feelings for,except one that was fat,if there unattractive it's possible.

No they can't I never had a male friend that I didn't want to FCk or had some vague romantic feelings for,except one that was fat,if there unattractive it's possible.

those type of friendships usually happen from working together

• Author
if he's a man and you're remotely attractive, he wants to bang you. Truth.

Well that's just great. That means my husband has these thoughts about other women too. Great.

Well that's just great. That means my husband has these thoughts about other women too. Great.

I wouldn't worry :D My male friends don't want to bang me.

I wouldn't worry :D My male friends don't want to bang me.

Well, how would you know unless their all married or have girlfriends already?

• Author

Those are the worst ones, IMO

Most of them DO have wives and girlfriends.

The handful of single ones have made it clear. I pursued 2 past friends and got rejected. The other single friends, if a stranger makes a comment insinuating that there is something between me and the friend, the friend vehemently denies it and acts grossed out. They'll say something like "Phoe's alright, I guess, but no way. I could never see her like that."

When a guy tells me he has zero interest and does not find me attractive, I believe it!

• Author
How so????

It's been my experience that Single guys have better boundaries with married women than married or attached guys. This guy I'm referring to is single, but has a girlfriend..,

Two other circumstances come to mind:

1. Lack of male sexual experience, generally irrelevant for most post-adolescent males.

2. Satiation - a male who's swimming in sexual experiences may be inclined to take certain females as friends simply because his sexual appetite is sufficiently satiated by the ones he's having sex with.

The first potential came to mind when reflecting back on how my viewpoint on women as platonic friends changed when becoming sexually active. Prior, it was not a problem to have platonic female friends; after, sexual thoughts were persistent, even if on a low simmer circumstantially, with nearly any woman encountered. The testosterone pump was operating at appropriate full male capacity, whereas before it was choked off by 'waiting for marriage' and the attendant suppression.

That means nothing, unfortunately. I've had guy who admitted they had gfs come on to me.